My first ever model railway build.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Marcus

Re: My first model railway build.

Postby Marcus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:49 pm

:D purchased a couple of forklifts on eBay, they came today but are way to bright. Had ago at trying to make them less pristine, I have to admit though that modelling scenery a lot easier. Overall I think they look a little better.
Attachments
image.jpg
Horrible. Way to bright.
image.jpg (57.8 KiB) Viewed 774 times
image.jpg
Not quite so pristine.
image.jpg (77.99 KiB) Viewed 774 times

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:48 pm

They look loads better - esp the forks no longer in luminous yellow and the stripes above the black wheels.
Your layout seems a lot larger now with its two (?) extensions - do you have a track plan of the whole thing?

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:23 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:They look loads better - esp the forks no longer in luminous yellow and the stripes above the black wheels.
Your layout seems a lot larger now with its two (?) extensions - do you have a track plan of the whole thing?
Sorry, no plan as such, I just designed it as I went along. :D I need to get an airbrush kit, I think I would get better results than using just sponges when it comes to weathering. The forklifts do look good on layout though.

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:40 pm

Track laying is now finally complete, I had a brill operating section this afternoon without so much as a hiccup, really enjoyed myself. Next thing now will be to complete the ballesting. I've ordered more lights, fencing, people etc to add more realism. I have put a couple of images taken looking through front windows to give a different prospective on the layout. Tomorrow I'll also start tidying up the wiring as well as a little more ballesting....not looking forward to that! :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Track laying now complete.
image.jpg (100.87 KiB) Viewed 744 times
image.jpg
And another.
image.jpg (133.52 KiB) Viewed 744 times
image.jpg
A different prospective.
image.jpg (133.46 KiB) Viewed 744 times

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:56 pm

So much space, such a spacious look! I'd be jealous if not conscious that I could never fill it so well even if available. Excellent.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:56 pm

whynot wrote:So much space, such a spacious look! I'd be jealous if not conscious that I could never fill it so well even if available. Excellent.
thx for comment. The space in front of the station is earmarked for a cattle dock leading into a farm, I've promised my wife this as she wants to see some cows and pigs etc. she has purchased me a couple of nice tractors and the metcalfe farm buildings, so I can't complain :D On the latest extension, I defiantly want to see some thicker woodland, ground cover etc.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:24 am

The layout looks great - lots of operating possibilities by the look of it.
Marcus wrote:I had a brill operating section this afternoon without so much as a hiccup
Now I really am jealous :mrgreen: - 'hiccups' (usually locos stalling; actual derailments are very rare luckily) are all too common on my layout :twisted:

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:00 am

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:The layout looks great - lots of operating possibilities by the look of it.
Marcus wrote:I had a brill operating section this afternoon without so much as a hiccup
Now I really am jealous :mrgreen: - 'hiccups' (usually locos stalling; actual derailments are very rare luckily) are all too common on my layout :twisted:
Beleive me, when I first started this build I nearly pulled the plug before it even got going. Derailments, dead track, stallings, you name it I had it. I wasn't going to give up, being a complete novice and not knowing anything about track geometry my mistakes were all easily rectified. Firstly, all my set points removed and replaced with medium or large, radius 1 curves changed to radius 3 and above, I use insulfrog points so droppers were used after every point giving smooth operations and continuity even my little 060 Jinty, I even replaced my curved points for straight as these caused me problems. Overall, I'm really happy with how my layout operates and would be totally confident should a friend wish to bring his loco's over for a running session :D did you notice the extra loop in the layout? This was originally going to be the upper level I mentioned to you previously. I decided access to the lower track for cleaning and maintenance would be an issue so never went down that route. Looking at your YouTube footage again this morning ,it would have been something I'd have liked to incorporate in my layout though. :cry:

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:34 pm

This whole layout is really looking good. Those forklift trucks look really good, The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps blacking the roofs and, if you're really up to it, window frames? Still an impressive transformation though!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:15 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:This whole layout is really looking good. Those forklift trucks look really good, The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps blacking the roofs and, if you're really up to it, window frames? Still an impressive transformation though!
Hi, Thx.
I have painted the roofs and they do look better, I will have ago at the window frames but I need to get much thinner paint brushes before I try... :D

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi all. Just a quick opinion really. I downloaded some n gauge buildings and placed them against my back wall above viaduct. They are only temporally held in place. I'm looking for some honest views, if you think it looks pants I'm fine with that. I know you can buy back scenes but I thought I would have ago at making my own. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Detail still to be added, if used.
image.jpg (191.97 KiB) Viewed 616 times
image.jpg
Mmmmm...what do you think?
image.jpg (160.04 KiB) Viewed 616 times

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Personally I think if you customize the buildings as you go along so you don't have 2 the same it will look fine.
Maybe bring a couple out into the layout a bit if you have space(Give it a bit of depth etc)? But at the minute they are all too uniform if you catch my drift?

Get a bit of variation in there and they'll be fine.

Otherwise must say the layout is looking bloody great with you.

Stewart
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:28 pm

Stewart Gethin wrote:Personally I think if you customize the buildings as you go along so you don't have 2 the same it will look fine.
Maybe bring a couple out into the layout a bit if you have space(Give it a bit of depth etc)? But at the minute they are all too uniform if you catch my drift?

Get a bit of variation in there and they'll be fine.

Otherwise must say the layout is looking bloody great with you.

Stewart
Hi. Thx. I agree with you. I am trying ways to vary the back scene. It looks better now, not perfect but I'm happy with it. :D

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 pm

As above - a few gaps and overlaps and would look pretty good IMO.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:07 pm

:D Hi again. I've tried to give backdrop a little depth by adding a couple of layers, overall I'm pleased with how it turned out and may add a little more with addition of drain pipes, window sills etc. can anyone suggest what I could put in place along top of viaduct and base of backdrop? I was thinking something like moss or similar or even a fence, any suggestions would be helpful. Thx again. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
Needs something along top of viaduct..Suggestions?
image.jpg (152.72 KiB) Viewed 449 times

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”