Trucks in a Tizzy

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
MrH

Re: Trucks in a Tizzy

Postby MrH » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:09 pm

I think adding it all up will be interesting.
Unfortunately only 1 piece of ply turned up today not both so won get much done over the weekend
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

MrH

Postby MrH » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Total was £120.62 big spend day today...

Cobalt point motor - ebay 13.99
- retailer 24.00

Both include postage had to get a humbrol paint for Seren too but that's not on this account!

So new total is £158.61
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

MrH

Postby MrH » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:46 pm

It’s taken 2 years but I spent another £3.90 on another piece of flex track. This meant I could correct the length of one piece and abandon the sections which were cut to allow the boards to seperate. The joins were causing the rails to continually pop out of the sleepers.

New total = £162.51

I should finally have some train time again having completed a Ba(Hons) (provisionally a 1st) in music production.

Now how to sort out pictures
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi MrH saying welcome back seems to be a regular if not frequent happening. Congratulations on the degree no matter what the class. Has Seren maintained her interest in the layout, my two Lady Controllers, the big one and the little one still both take an interest, but they ask hard questions these days. Look forward to seeing some construction soon.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

MrH

Postby MrH » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:41 pm

Seren plays with them more than I do at the moment we have a big loop in the loft which she will turn on whenever the loft is open although she wont do the track cleaning up there! At some point I will get something that can be dragged around by a train and it will make it interesting for her!
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:54 pm

I'm sure that my Senior Lady Controller (I'm a step grandad) manages me in the same way as her mother manages her dad, her other grandad, sadly no longer with us, was an astro-physicist, my wife's a maths graduate who programmed computers that needed a whole office floor to themselves, and now writes computing textbooks and exam papers, what chance have I got :shock:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

MrH

Postby MrH » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:51 am

It’s time for the Biennial trucks in a tizzy update….

Board

I added a front and back to the base using a plank of wood to lift the board enough to clear the point motors from the ground. This unfortunately showed that the board has warped necessitating the adding of sides as well to flatten it out. Which while it held the board flat it still wasn’t level requiring the purchase of adjustable legs and later I will add a cloth skirt to hide the supporting structures so no one but me and the internet will know.

Front skirt.

On the Board Warp.

New legs.

I also tidied up the wiring for the DCC bus and added plug in terminal blocks for the connection to my controller. (Digitrax Zephyr) although ordering glue sticks from ebay I forgot to check the delivery date so ended up getting some from screwfix too!

Before.

After.

Screws £15
Plank £6.75
Legs £6.72
Plug in terminal block £5.74
glue sticks ebay £5.99
glue sticks s/fix £3.99
Cable ties £6.00
16mm drill bit £7.45

Running Total - £220.75

(this total is nowhere near what my spreadsheet says!)
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

MrH

Postby MrH » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:54 am

Uncouplers

I prefer electronics to magnetics and the passive peco uncouplers did not fit the track space so I chose the Heathcote Electronics Servo based system as it only requires a single button press and has a built in timer to go down.

Toby with the decoupler

although when I tested it with the trucks it was immediate trouble…..

https://youtu.be/aWHTKHXN5OM

Once I was happy with the uncoupler I contacted Clive at Heathcote Electronics and asked if he could make me a version with two uncoupling controllers on one board to save me some space which he very kindly obliged.

Double uncoupler

Heathcote electronics single uncoupler - £19.70
Heathcote electronics Double uncoupler £39.40

Running total - £279.25

Uncoupler Lights

To show where the uncouplers are located I used so garden lights that I purchased at some point in history. I had originally considered adapting them for the indicator lights reflected in the purchase of acrylic rod to act as a light guide back in the post from 30/8/2017. While this idea had been dropped it became a fortuitous purchase. The garden lights use 12v LEDs. Putting them in place and connecting them looked good but very shortly I could smell burning plastic….

Melted

Recalling the the acrylic rod I carefully dug out the LEDs from some of the other lights so as not to damage the plastic part the LEDs were destroyed in this process. So the light could escape the rod I scuffed the end with fine sandpaper and superglued a bi colour red/green led to the other end. To switch between the two colours I placed microswitches so that they were activated by the servo arm of the uncoupler. This arrangement then shows green for when the uncoupler is passable and red when it in operation.

uncoupler rod

uncoupler indicators working

Halfords fine sandpaper £ 6.50
plastic superglue £4
Microswitches £2.99

Running total - £292.74
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

MrH

Postby MrH » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:01 am

Electronics for the control box and indicators.

These were both built on small pieces of veroboard The control box board has two sets of four colours which are selected by a rotary switch. The additional dual red green LED for each side has a separate switch to allow for indicators that the correct truck is in place on the layout. The indicator boards have the same four colours of LED but separate flashing red and green LEDs to show the correct truck is in place. The initial version used the same resistors for all the LEDs but this gave varying brightness so when one of these broke during installation I experimented with a circuit I found on google to get a better match to the brightness for each of the LEDs.

Control circuit board

Indicator building board

indicator boards mark 2 test circuit

Indicator boards new control board

Circuit to dim LEDs

The point and uncoupler switches are mounted in the top of the control box along with bi colour indicators for the point status. It took me two attempts to get the indicator boards right as the first set shown below didn’t fit in the box. I forgot to photograph the mk2 versions but they can be seen in the internal picture below. I had originally hoped to wire the indicator LED’s to the frog wire with diodes as per the dcc concepts instructions but this would not work with the Bi-Colour LEDs. I bought LED bezels to tidy up the look but again the 3 leg LEDs would not fit them so they went unused. I have found the three leg bi colour LEDs particularly fragile and have had to swap out quite a few in the process of completing the control box.

The veropins I bought to connect wires to the veroboard didn’t go through the holes so yet more drill bits were required this time 1mm to add to the growing collection having at some point recently acquired a new dremmel, mini chuck and a box of drill bits.

Points LEDs for top of control box

Inside the top of the control box

Mounting the switch board in the box makes it look like quite a rats nest and even with all the colour coding it took me a while to get it installed.

control box inside

Control box

Control lights on mk1

The wiring needs a bit of tidying up which will be done once the final electronics are in place there are a few scenic lights which aren’t yet on the board that need to tie into the 12v bus.

Dremmel £69.99
Mini Chuck £7.22
Drill bits (box) £8.99
1mm drill bits £3.65
resistors £13.39
Diodes £1.42
Veropins £5.90
4way switches £5.58
hook up wire (10 colours) £11.98
LED Bezel £4.79
3leg bi colour LEDs £3.40
Veroboard £8.88
LEDs 13.74
breadboard £3.29
Chicken head knobs £4.27

Running Total - £459.15
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:40 pm

That looks like a 'Tizzy Disco"
With a good bowl full of spaghetti.

Crazy ideas, innovation & fun - Just what we should all be doing !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

MrH

Postby MrH » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:11 pm

Thanks Geoff I have a few more episodes to post over the coming weeks and it gets crazier!
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

MrH

Postby MrH » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:55 pm

Rock lighting

The next piece of electronics is a Vellemann K8044 light chase kit which will make lights twinkle in the scenic rock.

When building this I chose to put resisters for the LEDs on the board in the row below the terminal blocks. In future I would use the links they provided instead as this which would allow me to use relays or other lamps instead of LEDs which could have the resistor in the wiring instead. I later discovered the MERG random LED kit which would have been a lot cheaper even including the membership!

Velleman Kit.

Cost £26.47

Running total - £485.62

I needed to experiment with the best way to put the lights into the cast rock so made two casts to test different combinations as follows

Pink LED
Pink LED in a white crystal
Pink LED in a pink crystal
White LED in a pink crystal

These were all placed in the cast as it cured

Test led cast

a further pink LED was then added by drilling a hole in the set cast.

At this stage with the cast unpainted showed that the Pink LED in the pink Crystal gave the best light but that if the crystal was too far back in the cast the light did not penetrate to the front.

I then mounted these rocks on my programming track board to test the lights once it was painted.
(yes a test piece of a test piece!). Painting using Woodland scenics Earth colours Slate, Black and burnt umber, rail match slate and flint and a Humbrol blue grey wash gave a good coverage but dulled the light too much for all of the experimental combinations. While trying to drill the maximum depth for an LED to go into the rock I of course drilled through several times putiting the LED in this hole and them plastering another rock in place gave an effect that I thought would work and give the intensity of light I wanted.

Final test of rock light

This way I can build the scenery drill in the LEDs exactly where I want them and then cover them ensuring light can escape then paint the whole thing. Once complete the LED can be glued in place and the effect will be as I desired. Although it will be a couple more posts before I get this far!
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:02 pm

You are progressing forward. It is looking too technical for me. Very nice though. A lot of work.

MrH

Postby MrH » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:45 pm

Thanks Mountain, Circuit boards I don't have a problem with cutting a straight line however!
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

MrH

Postby MrH » Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:52 pm

Scenics.

While I expected to purchase some scenic flocks and grass I didn’t intend to buy any more paints for this project as I have been collecting them for many years. The Rusty rails painter for example had a note stating they would send out wheels till 7/31/14, so goodness knows when I bought it but it has finally been opened and used. However the best laid plans….

Rails and Ballast

I painted the rails firstly with the weathered black that came with the rusty rails painter then some Revel reddish brown which had completely dried up so I mixed a small amount with some thinners and and finally some slate grey to finish it off. I used the reddish brown and added some sleeper grime to paint the sleepers and again some slate grey was painted on to pretend to be dust from the quarry. I didn’t like this so started again with Vallejo rust pigment (new, old and rust) more of the dark slate pigment and Carbon black pigment for soot. this was all then coated with army painter dark tone wash to dull it down.

Rusty rails and soot.

With the scene being in a supposed slate mine the choice of material for the ballast should have been straight forward however despite several versions of grey being available slate itself could not be found. I bought a bag of slate chipping and sieved them to get the tiny flakes and dust to get my ballast. I did some tests and also mixed in a little of a grey ballast I had to make the colour less uniform. This was glued with the usual water and pva mix. Some repairs were required after the plaster work of the rocks as plaster got in amongst the ballast To finish the ballast it was washed with some sleeper grime and fixed with a mod podge water mix to seal and matt down the end result. Cleaning the tops of the rails afterwards took some time with IPA and cotton buds but ended up with a good result when testing with Toby.

Toby running (note the painted rocks that's the next post!)
https://youtu.be/aOh6wkYwIjw

Sieves £17.50
slate £3.50
Mod Podge £8
Ballast spreader £9.50

Running total £524.12
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”