A new start in Finescale OO: NSR Stone junction station

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
carnehan

Re: A new start in Finescale OO: NSR Stone junction station

Postby carnehan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Superb work FS123. Being a heritage railway man will you prefer these wagons in pristine condition or weather worn?

Paul

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks for the compliments all.

carnehan wrote:Superb work FS123. Being a heritage railway man will you prefer these wagons in pristine condition or weather worn?

Paul

Probably only some light weathering, I don't think I could bear "trashing" them after all this!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:31 pm

That's one of the issues I have. I make a loco from a kit (Body kit) or I convert a loco from a RTR little loco.... Give it a nice shiney coat of paint and can't bear to make it look dirty. My excuse is that my little railway have keen volunteer staff to help!

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Mountain wrote:That's one of the issues I have. I make a loco from a kit (Body kit) or I convert a loco from a RTR little loco.... Give it a nice shiney coat of paint and can't bear to make it look dirty. My excuse is that my little railway have keen volunteer staff to help!

I can claim pre-grouping railway Edwardian pride for most things, but even they didn't go in for cleaning wagons!

manna

Postby manna » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 am

G'Day Gents

There is a precedent, you could run them as a 'Brand New' rake of wagons being delivered, I have seen a brand new rake of LNER brake vans being delivered to a depot.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:37 pm

manna wrote:G'Day Gents

There is a precedent, you could run them as a 'Brand New' rake of wagons being delivered, I have seen a brand new rake of LNER brake vans being delivered to a depot.

manna

Tempting, but they really need full loads otherwise I'm worried they'll float away they're so light! We'll see, I'm certainly in no rush to weather them but I'm not ruling it out.

Anyway, with some spare time today has been rather productive:

All wagons now lettered; most NSR wagons were numbered on cast plates on the solebar, so I'll print some out at some point to glue on which won't take long. Whilst I can't take my main station building to uni, I realised I could still do the half a dozen or so chimneys that are dotted around, so made up the first of those, and also saved an LNWR side I made a hash of some time last year and threw back in the box. With some new brushes it's just about passable now, which has encouraged me to maybe finish this off!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:23 pm

They look good. The coach side is good. Takes some patience to paint I would say!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:46 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:
manna wrote:G'Day Gents

manna

Tempting, but they really need full loads otherwise I'm worried they'll float away they're so light! We'll see, I'm certainly in no rush to weather them but I'm not ruling it out.

You still have one option, newly delivered being used for their first delivery!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 pm

Well I wasn't sure I could really face putting tension lock couplers on these wagons after all the effort, what they really needed was 3-link to look right. but I object to buying couplings that cost more than the item of rolling stock they're attached too. There is a solution though, here someone has helpfully explained how to make them out of brass wire.

So in best CLarkson style how hard can it be...

Millions of hours later:

They're just about passable I think. I think they'd have been quicker to make and bette rlooking had I had my soldering iron with me but I don't at the moment.

Here they are in situ:

Some rough segment calculations suggest they should be ok for radius 2; my minimum curves are radius 2 1/2 so should be fine. After a bit of practise I'm not too bad at hooking up but how they'll do reversing into sidings remains to be seen, won't be tested for a while yet...

Pete

Postby Pete » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:44 pm

You can't beat 3-link couplings, they look so good, especially as your loco pulls off slowly and you see the tension taken up. Even on a few wagons they make all the difference. Fiddly to install, and uncouple, but worth it.

Nice home made links too, everything is on the net ;)

Pete
Give me morphine just to take away the pain
I asked the doc how long I've got but he couldn't say
Take my appendix 'cause I think it's going bad
Take my front tooth off 'cause I think I'm going mad

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:54 pm

I like those Alex, much more realistic than the tension lock coupling option.

Paul

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 pm

WHilst I was still in a wagon mood but with no more plastic with me at uni I drew up a few more wagons. I managed a trip home at the weekend and in between painting a side of a full size coach at Winchcombe to help get things moving I managed to run some plastic through the cutter for some of them:

That's the body more or less done. The axleboxes and wheels should be fine but I'm on unknown ground as far as modelling the brake gear is concerned, as it's more complicated than a bog standard wagon, as you'd expect. Another one is still in flatpack stage plus a couple of MR and LNWR wagons ready to go.

Having picked up some LNWR coach sides again a little while ago I retrieved the rest of the bits and they're coming along:

Obviously the roofs aren't glued on, I suppose I ought to put some seats in and maybe some people and lights too if I'm feeling extravagant. Still a few other jobs to finish them off too. If I can find a suitable gel pen for lining out that should tidy things up further, I really wouldn't be confident doing it with a bowpen, and I'd need a pretty expensive one anyway for that sort of stuff.

I've not really much idea about what else should be in the train I'm trying to model, I know these are the right coaches (all the LNWR ratio ones are) but how long and whether there should be any extras like a dining car I don't know. That's for the future though, I just wanted a couple to begin with to give a vague picture.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”