A new start in Finescale OO: NSR Stone junction station

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: A new start in Finescale OO: NSR Stone junction station

Post by TimberSurf »

glencairn wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:Ah very nice Glencairn, is that the 51L kit?
No. I acquired some wagon 'peel off and stick on' labels of various Companies. I just applied them to some old wagons and 'spruced them up'. Some others (like the E&H Brown, Burmantofts wagon) I made myself. The LNWR tarpaulin is from Lumsdonia, by TimberSurf.

Glencairn
Sorry to correct you, but the tarp you printed was from a tiscali website I put a link up for, that is no longer! I can take no credit for that one!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

TimberSurf wrote:[quote="gl The LNWR tarpaulin is from Lumsdonia, by TimberSurf Glencairn
Sorry to correct you, but the tarp you printed was from a tiscali website I put a link up for, that is no longer! I can take no credit for that one![/quote]

:oops: Sorry TimberSurf. I should have gone back and checked.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

This entire threadis exceptionally impressive. Outstanding modelling skills! Im not really familiar with the silhouette cutter. I own a decent laser cutter and have had a lot of experience with a vinyl cutter, im assuming it works a bit like a vinyl cutter, incorporating a blade? Id like to learn more about it.

Very impressed with your coaches and wagons. Ive contemplated making some coaches but have actually been concerned about the axle area being too weak.
Ill have to look into what we have available in the way of printable transfer paper here in aus as well. I could have used some this last week.

I really look foward to seeing this progress as a layout!
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

joshv8 wrote:This entire threadis exceptionally impressive. Outstanding modelling skills! Im not really familiar with the silhouette cutter. I own a decent laser cutter and have had a lot of experience with a vinyl cutter, im assuming it works a bit like a vinyl cutter, incorporating a blade? Id like to learn more about it.

Very impressed with your coaches and wagons. Ive contemplated making some coaches but have actually been concerned about the axle area being too weak.
Ill have to look into what we have available in the way of printable transfer paper here in aus as well. I could have used some this last week.

I really look foward to seeing this progress as a layout!
Well thank you very much Josh! Yes the silhouette cutter us very similar to a vinyl cutter. It does have some features such as the ability to cut around printed designs using registration marks, but I don't really use that. It wasn't really designed for plasticard but it certainly does the job, and even having to go over it with a blade afterwards still saves a lot of time.

Th bogies are kits with metal wheels, not had any problems if weakness in that front, I've seen some people scratch build bogies from the silhouette too with no problems.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

flying scotsman123 wrote:Well thank you very much Josh! Yes the silhouette cutter us very similar to a vinyl cutter. It does have some features such as the ability to cut around printed designs using registration marks, but I don't really use that. It wasn't really designed for plasticard but it certainly does the job, and even having to go over it with a blade afterwards still saves a lot of time.

Th bogies are kits with metal wheels, not had any problems if weakness in that front, I've seen some people scratch build bogies from the silhouette too with no problems.
I suppose the registration marks could be useful if say you were cutting out pre coloured text for a transfer. Otherwise just for plasticard to scratch build no I dont suppose it would be needed. You say it doesnt always cut right through the plasticard. With the laser if I dont get a complete cut I can run the program again to cut the remainder. Is this an option with the silhouette machine?

Thats good news on the bogies! Im really going to have to look into this early next year.
flying scotsman123

joshv8 wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:Well thank you very much Josh! Yes the silhouette cutter us very similar to a vinyl cutter. It does have some features such as the ability to cut around printed designs using registration marks, but I don't really use that. It wasn't really designed for plasticard but it certainly does the job, and even having to go over it with a blade afterwards still saves a lot of time.

I suppose the registration marks could be useful if say you were cutting out pre coloured text for a transfer. Otherwise just for plasticard to scratch build no I dont suppose it would be needed. You say it doesnt always cut right through the plasticard. With the laser if I dont get a complete cut I can run the program again to cut the remainder. Is this an option with the silhouette machine?

Thats good news on the bogies! Im really going to have to look into this early next year.

I did try cutting out individual printed letters but they were too small in OO gauge to be precise. I have successfully cut out letters 2mm high on white transfer paper by setting the cutter just to cut the thin layer on top.

Yes you can send it through the cutter again, as long as you don't take it out in-between. It does help a little, but not enormously.

There's some experiments on making bogies over on RMWeb, I may get around to doing some myself at some point, if so I'll post them here. For my NSR coaches I've been using ratio LNWR bogies which are fairly convenient.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
flying scotsman123

Ah well, rescued from page 3 again, about par for the course for me!

So only a short update this time, but it does contain a fair amount of work. First off some more wagons, including some LNWR ones:

But the main headline is thanks to the national lockdown, I've finally been able to make some good progress on the station building. It's been a protracted affair, with lots of things not quite right about it, but standing back now with the main structure complete, I feel like I can forget about all that:

There's still a lot to do, most notably the platform canopies on either side, followed by a round of detailing, gutters, posters, signs and notices etc. but I am rather pleased with how it's looking now.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That station is B***** Good. :o

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Glad to see the North Staffs again.

What a beautiful station building. Well done

Glencairn
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Nice to hear from you again FS123 :D

And that station building looks SUPERB 8) - and what a complicated structure to model! Excellent!
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

The slight curvature along the side of the building is so unusual and realistic - a super job.

Are you still making 3-link couplings for your wagons? - if so you may be interested in my next post on Hawick.
flying scotsman123

Thanks for the comments folks :)
Ex-Pat wrote:The slight curvature along the side of the building is so unusual and realistic - a super job.

Are you still making 3-link couplings for your wagons? - if so you may be interested in my next post on Hawick.
I confess I haven't done any more since my initial experiments, but that's largely down to the fact I haven't run any trains! Certainly still open to it so I shall await your next post with anticipation!
flying scotsman123

Apologies for confusing Ex-Pat the other week, but to explain I posted a picture of my model of the station building on a North Staffordshire Railway Facebook group and was blown away by the comments and likes, especially gratifying were those from people who actually lived in Stone. I even had an offer of exhibiting it at the station, which I sadly had to turn down as it's a bit of a treck from Cheltenham.

Anyway, just a short one for here tonight to show off some coach sides I'm working on:

My carriage-building methods have improved somewhat since my first exploits resulting in much sturdier construction. These just need a quick flash over with some varnish, then the glazing can be added, in one long continuous strip in a slot between two layers of plastic. This also self-forms the tumbleholme, so the carriage sides are pre-shaped even before the body is constructed. Some brass door furniture is added locking the glazing in place before the body is built around a really thick plastic floor resulting in a strong body that doesn't even need a roof, let alone internal compartment walls, to stop it collapsing in on itself.

I was also quite pleased with the lining. It's usually recommended to use a yellow rather than gold, mainly because it's hard to find a gold paint with small enough particle size. But this is usually in conjunction with black as the main beading colour, which looks fine, but the NSR didn't have this black, only gold, and to me yellow on its own wouldn't look right. I found though, that the gold ink from those alcohol paint pens is perfect. Even the superfine nibs are still too big, but with a bit of persuasion you can extract the ink and blob it in a bowpen, where it comes out remarkably well. I especially like the fact that when it comes to touching up, and inevitably some is required, there's no rush to do so as even when the ink is dry a brush dampened with white spirit will easily lift it. The only thing you need to be careful of is varnishing over it, but a decent quality artist's lacquer as opposed to a modelling or car one works well and doesn't upset the paint below whether spirit based or not.

More fairly soon, as these are approaching the phase where just a little work brings it all together!
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

flying scotsman123 wrote: My carriage-building methods have improved somewhat since my first exploits resulting in much sturdier construction. These just need a quick flash over with some varnish, then the glazing can be added, in one long continuous strip in a slot between two layers of plastic. This also self-forms the tumbleholme, so the carriage sides are pre-shaped even before the body is constructed. Some brass door furniture is added locking the glazing in place before the body is built around a really thick plastic floor resulting in a strong body that doesn't even need a roof, let alone internal compartment walls, to stop it collapsing in on itself.
Wot? - no glue smears on the windows? - I like it. Looking forward to the follow-up.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Tonman Mosley, First Baron Anslow, and Colin Minton Campbell M.P. (Former Chairmen of NSR) would be extremely pleased with your amazing work.

Well Done FS123.

Glencairn