A new start in Finescale OO: NSR Stone junction station

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: A new start in Finescale OO: NSR Stone junction station

Post by flying scotsman123 »

A bit more tracklaying and tinkering done, the mainlines through the station and the junction are in their final place, but no photos of that today.

However my second coach is nearing completion:

Once the main body is all put together, I put the seats and lights in. the Seats are a free download and are absolutely perfect for the job. The lights are lengths of LED ricelights suitably chopped up and arranged. I cut a small notch in the compartment walls for the wires to go through:

Once that was all sorted the roof could be fitted, hurrah! I use 15 thou, which is a good compromise being a bit thicker than 10 for strength, but more flexible than 20. as my coaches are lit the inside has a good layer of matt black paint applied to the inside to stop light leakage. I preform the roof a bit by having it tied around a cylinder with elastic bands and submerging in hot water, then using plastic weld work my way along each edge. You do need a bit of patience with this, I did it in front of a film so I didn't get bored!

Then it's time for the second round of adding lots of little bits! roof vents are ratio plastic components. This end has the coms cord equipment, which consists of two tiny lumps of plastic which have had brass wire pushed through with the aid of a soldering iron, and another lump of plastic forming the junction going down to the vacuum pipe. When pulled, it introduces air into the system, thus putting on the brakes, although usually only partially, enough for the driver and guard to notice loss of vacuum and then bring the train to a final stop. If you visit the GWSR and pull the cord however, ours aren't so finely tuned, so when you pull it, you stop pretty sharpish!

The vacuum pipe and steam heating hose are from MJT castings IIRC. The final things on this end are the two lamp irons, which are bits of brass wire bent at right angles then one length hammered flat on my vice. They were very fiddly to fit indeed! I suppose I ought to find some lamps to hang on them at some point.

Round the other end we have steps and handrails to access the roof. Handrails again were brass wire bent to shape, then pushed in with a soldering iron. Normally this method works find but you can see the result if you slip a little just above the left hand rail. A bit of filler will sort it out. The steps were short sections of plastic angle, filed to shape. On NSR coaches if it was a brake coach, as this one is, the steps were always at the "van" end. The wires poking out will be threaded through a hole in the underframe to meet ones leading to the batteries (see later).

Footboards; again, brass wire for the supports pushed into the solebar whilst holding an iron to the wire, then plastic cut for the board itself. I used the 4mm planking as I had some around and 1 plank's worth is just right.

Finally, the underframe has had its bogies fitted. Ratio LNWR bogies can be bought separately, top hat bearings and metal wheels are the only changes, plate glued onto underframe, and a screw to hold the bogie to its plate, done up tightly then gently undone until it just moves completely freely. 2 battery holders for the lights, I just about had room to squeeze them into the loos upright. The final wire connections are made underneath the underframe for easy access.

So that's nearly it, probably one more update to finish it off at some point, then once exams are over I can get properly cracking in the shed.
Last edited by flying scotsman123 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

FS123, there is nothing to say but simply brilliant. Love it, love the workmanship, love the detail and love that it's scratch built. I think you had maybe said but I don't remember, how many of these are you making?

Paul
flying scotsman123

Thanks Paul, I'm initially planning to make a rake of five, as they're shorter than more modern bogie coaches you can have longer trains so to speak! Along with that I'd like to do some four wheel coaches which should follow roughly the same method. I'd really like a rake of six wheeld coaches but I'm still not certain on chassis for those.

Hopefully the rest of the rolling stock should be more straightforward! Wagons usually just need bits of brakegear cut off to backdate them, and a repaint, and locos, it really depends on the chosen start and end point! I have a couple in the pipeline though.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Brilliant, I really look forward to more instalments then. They will be unique to you and your layout and that's something you can't buy.

Paul
flying scotsman123

Finally a picture of some tracklaying:

Pinned down with drawing pins at the moment. You can just about make out the tracing paper underneath with Grandad's original plan drawn out 1:1 scale. I've had to slightly deviate from that, the platforms are slightly shorter and the whole thing is on a gentle curve to fit it in. Hopefully most of it will go unnoticed once platforms are done etc. The two sidings at the front ought to be 4 but didn't really have enough room for them the pictures I have only ever seen wagons in them so I don't think it was ever used as a passenger platform edge. At some point I think I'll put some clear perspex on that closest edge to protect rolling stock when I lean over, or possibly a slight extension of an inch or so and a slight grassy bank. On the far side is the goods yard which I haven't started at all yet.
Last edited by flying scotsman123 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flying scotsman123

More wiring of track and point motor fitting, slow work for me, not my favourite job, and not very exciting to post about either.

However, I have been doing some other modelling. Another coach is shaping up nicely, this time with a much bigger vice which is making forming the 3D body by inserting the internal compartment walls much easier:

Put coach in vice wrong way up, 15 mins to pop all the walls in and glue them in place, leave to set, turn the coach up the right way, and tighten to form the turnunder against the compartment walls acting as formers, more plastic weld, leave to set again. Much easier than doing them one or two at a time in my old vice.

Also been forming a small nucleus of a wagon fleet:

All the open wagons are a mixture of different makers, many of which have been cut down from 5-7 planks to 2-3. The extra planks have not been wasted, plonked on top of spare wagon chassis I have, or have bought. Brake gear on most have been chopped down to one side only, as was common for the time, on most an easy modification to make.

The small brake van and box van were done using my silhouette cutter, planks scribed with the cutter, then opened out with a compass needle, resulting ridges sanding flat, and then the compass lightly run through again.

The transfers were also done on the cutter, using crafty computer paper white transfer paper and the cutter on a thin setting, so it only cuts through the carrier sheet. As it's only white no printing needed, although I have been experimenting with the print then cut around facility for other uses.

I think the smaller lettering on the wagons, the small numbers and script writing "To carry X tons" will be a step too far though, so can anyone recommend a useful transfer sheet with a high proportion of useful to non useful stuff for that please? Thanks very much. :)
Last edited by flying scotsman123 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flying scotsman123

I've been working on my first loco recently, as there's nothing suitable either RTR or even kit built really, save brass kits that are millions of pounds and difficulty unknown. So I started off with a railroad jinty, as the chassis was close enough, and initially, the body didn't look too far out. How wrong I was! Not much was left of the original by the time I'd finished. Only the boiler past the dome and the front part of the running plate stayed in the end! Everything else was scratch built, and this is what the basic body looked like with a final spray of crimson undercoat:

With all the bts of pipework and oher bits needing to be fitted, it was necessary to paint and partially line the loco before hand, and this is where I'm currently at:

Lining was homemade using crafty computer paper transfer paper, and applied by peeling the transfer off the paper dry, placing it on the surface and then wetting it, rather than wetting it first. I've found this helps preserve the colour in the more fragile homemade inkjet transfers. Still lots of little bits to do, safety valves, boiler backhead and cab etc. but overall I'm pleased how this has gone for a first effort of anything like this.
Last edited by flying scotsman123 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Quite amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.

Excellent work - you and manna would form a formidable team!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Great progress on all fronts, that last shot of the trackwork at the junction actually looks like Stone. I'd have recognised it without any further detail. Eagerly awaiting more.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
flying scotsman123

Cheers Ex-pat and Bufferstop. Definitely inspired by the works of manna, mattmay and others posting here their step by steps giving me confidence and seeing how it's done!
flying scotsman123

Now remind me, why do I like pre-grouping so much? Oh yes, the liveries. Hmm, not so sure now!

But it's very nearly getting there now, the other side is lagging behind a little, and there's the cab to do, but overall, not far off now. Looks like a bit of the paintwork on the boiler needs a bit of a rub down looking at that photo...

All the switches and other bits and bobs for my electronics arrived the other day too, so hopefully one good long session with the soldering iron and I can have things moving.
Last edited by flying scotsman123 on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

All that rubbing down !!
Nothing wrong with the schemes ........
I see you have less 'time' than ever. It will only
get worse.
I do admire all the things you try.

Geoff T.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

It looks great to me FS123. How did you tackle that lining? Are they decals? Whatever the method I'm very impressed. Not sure I'd have the bottle to tackle my own loco build.

I must have missed the posting but when did you come up with the name for the layout? I like it. :)

Paul
flying scotsman123

Cheers both, Paul; the lining is homemade transfers, carefully cut around to avoid any white showing. Same with the NORTH STAFFORD, it blends in much better than it shows in the photo!

As for the name, I had a little inspiration... :D It's official name was Stone Junction around the period I'm modellng, the "Junction" was dropped sometime in the early 1930s I think.
jimread

Post by jimread »

Hello FS123,

Fair play to you for tackling this station, I used to pass it from time to time and thought how lovely it looked.

I like the way your making the rolling stock and locos yourself, it's very nice to find someoone else who does the same. I agree with your comment about the difficulty in assembling kits not to mention the price, still, horses for courses I guess.

You might find some of the info on this GANSG page to be of interest: http://mike.da2c.org/igg/rail/00-app2/lms/nsr.htm
the whole site is an enormous resource for all things railway related.

Cheers - Jim