A new start in Finescale OO: NSR Stone junction station

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Ex-Pat

Re: A new start in Finescale OO: NSR Stone junction station

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:03 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:
It has a lot of lateral movement, and also in theory vertical, although in fact it only has about 0.5mm of that as otherwise it fouls on the body. At the moment it keeps falling off when I push it along the rails, and I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas please? I'm guessing some sort of spring arrangement is needed, but I've no idea about what, or what to buy.

I would suggest the lateral movement could be cured by simply adding washers as required.

As to the vertical movement, have you checked the accuracy/alignment of the chassis by standing it on a piece of sheet glass?

Any wobble will indicate which wheel(s) is/are out of kilter and appropriate corrective action can be considered.

If there is no wobble and all wheels touch the glass then it points to uneven track.

Just a final thought - if there is no wobble and you push it along the track without the coupling rods does it still derail? If it doesn't derail without the coupling rods, but does derail with them then it points to further adjustments being needed to the coupling rods.

Best of luck.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:22 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:
It has a lot of lateral movement, and also in theory vertical, although in fact it only has about 0.5mm of that as otherwise it fouls on the body. At the moment it keeps falling off when I push it along the rails, and I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas please? I'm guessing some sort of spring arrangement is needed, but I've no idea about what, or what to buy.

I would suggest the lateral movement could be cured by simply adding washers as required.

As to the vertical movement, have you checked the accuracy/alignment of the chassis by standing it on a piece of sheet glass?

Any wobble will indicate which wheel(s) is/are out of kilter and appropriate corrective action can be considered.

If there is no wobble and all wheels touch the glass then it points to uneven track.

Just a final thought - if there is no wobble and you push it along the track without the coupling rods does it still derail? If it doesn't derail without the coupling rods, but does derail with them then it points to further adjustments being needed to the coupling rods.

Best of luck.

Thanks Ex-Pat, it's not the coupled wheels that are the problem, it's the leading uncoupled wheels (it's a 2-4-0). It's not that anything is out of kilter, there's just nothing to keep the wheels staying on the track. As you say, washers can cure excess lateral movement, but I presume I'll need some lateral movement (especially as there's virtually none on the driving wheels). The world of springing has always been a mystery to me but I think I need to something to put some weight on those wheels to stick them onto the track.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:24 pm

Sorry! - I totally missed the mention of it being the leading wheel.

Bachmann do (or did) an L & Y 2 - 4 - 2. I don't know anything about it, but if that model has a fixed (as opposed to swinging) leading wheel then what springing arrangement (if any) does it have?

If it does have one then consider being a copy-cat?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Hi - what a fine looking engine, mind you there was a fine standard set by the Knotty for you to work to.
I notice that the troublesome leading wheels have a generous amount of vertical movement built in to the frame. I think some experimentation may be necessary to get those wheels to stick to the track. I would first ensure that with just the drivers fitted, it sits square on the track and there's sufficient weight at the rear end to hold it level without the leading wheels. What you are aiming for is those wheels to guide rather than support. The expert builder would put in sliding axleboxes with wire springs pressing them downward, but not enough to take weight from the front drivers. In the absence of sliding axleboxes top hat bearings to fit the axle might be a good substitute, with the bearing slots filed out just enough for them to slide. Using a paper washer solder a washer onto the top hat to hold it in the slot, tear out the paper when it's done, then a piece of phosphor bronze wire anchored to the frame and pressing down on the bearings, or alternatively a heavy sleeve slipped over the centre of the axle.
The annoying thing is someone who's done it many times will know just how much weight or spring pressure is needed to keep those wheels from riding up as they are pushed into a curve.
One consolation it's probably an easier design to get balance than an 0-4-2 with the weight of the motor bearing down on the trailing wheels!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”