Hermione Isle- an overlooked principality

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Hermione Isle- an overlooked principality

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:29 pm

kiwitram wrote:Oh what to do. I have the ideas, but no ends as of yet...
Suggestions, anyone?
Is N gauge out of the question?
You could potentially build a small portable layout in your current room that could travel with you when you go to university, or move out of a rented house?

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:38 pm

Very much so I'm afraid. While I admire N modellers, I simply couldn't cope with something so small and fiddly, plus I already have all 00 stock and it's easier to work from for me.

As for the portability, I'm sure I'll manage. I can restrict it to one or two boards when put up another space

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Hello Kiwitram,
kiwitram wrote:I wish I had the know-how to create run-arounds etc but if I'm honest, I'm scared of wiring.

Peco do very good pamphlets on electrics at very modest prices: http://www.pecopublications.co.uk/shows-you-how.html, see 4, 5 and 21. If you can have a go at soldering some bits of wire to a piece of old track and one or two rail joiners, it will give you a real confidence boost, as well as a very useful additional skill.

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:30 pm

I've looked into soldering irons and I think I saw one in Tesco Direct for around £15; I may invest in one. Over the years I've collected a few of those little pamphlets, they're very useful little pages.

Alex

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Be careful with cheap soldering irons. Some are not hot enough and some, the nib disintegrates.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:54 pm

Hi Alex, if you are looking t getting a soldering iron, look for a 25 watt one, that's about the best size for wiring work, too low a wattage takes longer to heat up the work so puts more heat into the surrounding material. Also get some 60/40 lead alloy solder with a flux core, (look on ebay you can buy a lifetime supply on a roll and have it delivered, also very useful as a weight when gluing things), You'll have nothing but trouble and put yourself off trying, if you use the 'elf 'n safety approved lead free stuff. It's only illegal to make your employee's use lead alloy, and the amount you will use won't be a problem. It was plumbers and car body repairers who ladled the stuff around then had nerve problems caused the regulations.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:13 pm

Having had a quick look on Amazon for a budget but effective iron, I've found this:

It doesn't look too bad, relatively easy to use and maintain. I might buy one at some point when my finances improve. In the meantime, I'll be getting on with my baseboards.

There's a building yard literally thirty seconds' walk from my house where there's a flat conversion taking place, and a skip outside with a sign, ''free timber!- Just ask''. Probably worth a mosey just to have look for some lengths of timber. As for the board top, I think I might go with 6/9mm plywood, as it isn't too expensive for large sheets and it's easier to cut on a curve, which I hope to do for some parts of the boards. When it comes to getting the boards made up, I might have to see if I can rope my boyfriend Alex in (There's a barrel of laughs right there, Alex and Alex...) He's not really into railways, but he seemed to become far more interested the minute I mentioned mulberry as a livery.

''Purple? You know I LOVE purple! Awwh and you're naming trains? Cute!''

I'm sure he'd help out with a bit of sawing and painting.

Alex

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:59 am

I must admit that as a cheapskate that looks dear to me.

I've been very happy with this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28091-Lightweight-Solder-Soldering-Iron-30W-Needle-Tip-Protective-Cover-Cap-/281090608794?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item41724e4e9a

30w because I prefer (for wiring) to apply enough heat briefly...
And the ability to change the grip style has been novel and nice.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:17 am

Hi Alex

I've just had a read through of your progress to date and it looks like you have a clear idea in mind. I will look forward to the updates on this one.

Am I correct in saying you are using store bought snow spray? If so, I would maybe do a tester now and leave near natural light for a period to see how it fares. I've used similar product in the past for Christmas related thingys and found that after a while it turns yellow (and we all know the warnings of eating yellow snow!!). Hopefully the products have come along since I used them but it would be awful to put the work in only to find things changing tone in a year or so. :roll:

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:00 am

Hi ALex, at one time I would automatically have said "buy an Antex iron if you want quality" these days they seem to be just a different badge as "no name" ones from the same factory in China.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:32 am

carnehan wrote:Hi Alex

I've just had a read through of your progress to date and it looks like you have a clear idea in mind. I will look forward to the updates on this one.

Am I correct in saying you are using store bought snow spray? If so, I would maybe do a tester now and leave near natural light for a period to see how it fares.

Hi there,

No I'm not using spray I'm afraid to say, i did buy a can as a laugh but it didn't adhere too well to plastic or paper, so I'm sticking with the scatter that I bought around Christmas.

I hope you will all enjoy my updates, i know I'm enjoying creating the pages!

I hope my next update will be buying the plywood i need; a bit of quick maths last night determined i need £42 worth of the stuff :O I'll have to be especially helpful around the house.

Alex

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Model railways, maths and a bodger to boot?
I'd propose marriage except for you having a boyfriend...
... and the minor detail that no woman in her right mind would marry me.

You wouldn't happen to be mad as well, by any chance?
And lying about your age: frighteningly you are young enough to be my granddaughter.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:57 pm

Emettman wrote:Model railways, maths and a bodger to boot?
I'd propose marriage except for you having a boyfriend...
... and the minor detail that no woman in her right mind would marry me.

You wouldn't happen to be mad as well, by any chance?
And lying about your age: frighteningly you are young enough to be my granddaughter.

Chris.

I've dated older men before (... Well, seven years older) and it didn't end too well. But Alex and I are happy, and I'm sure he'd happily work on the railway with me.

Also, I'm not a keen maths person, I just like working within a budget and knowing how much I need to save.

I'm going to B&Q once I finish college for the day and I'll have a look for some odds and ends.

Alex

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Hi ALex, at one time I would automatically have said "buy an Antex iron if you want quality" these days they seem to be just a different badge as "no name" ones from the same factory in China.

If quality is your path, you can't go wrong with WELLER... mine has been used constsantly for the last 8-10 years although new it would cost £150.
A funny true story.... I was part of the team building a recording studio in the West end of London that had a voice over/vocal booth attached where you could see through the window into it from the main recording studio we were in. We wer'e all soldering away until we all had to turn our soldering irons round so the guy in the voice over booth could see them.......... It was Paul WELLER :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Well guys, no B&Q today, the A64 was shut due to a major accident, closing the road from the Work and Pensions building in Leeds all the way down to Cross Gates, so my bus home was redirected.

I might go to Wickes tomorrow, get the bus to Pontefract and have a look there for ply and paint.

As for mounting the "shelves" (see, new lexical choice ;) ) I'm thinking I'll just use shelf brackets, they should take the weight of a train; I mean, if they can take books...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”