Hodsan End, OO shunting puzzle

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Kentishman

Hodsan End, OO shunting puzzle

Postby Kentishman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:35 am

Welcome to Hodsan End, an OO Inglenook shunting layout; this has been done many times before and to a much better standard than I expect to achieve. There are, however, a few features that may have some novelty value.

Hodsan End 800 (7) (800x282).jpg
Hodsan End 800 (7) (800x282).jpg (150.01 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

The size is 46.5” x 13”, the length being limited by the need for the layout to fit across the back seat of a small car. Hence the track runs diagonally across the board to fit in the minimum length of 47” (track plus buffers plus clearances) required. It works, but some of the wagon clearances between the necks of sidings are whisker thin.

Hodsan End  (5) (800x347).jpg
Hodsan End (5) (800x347).jpg (212.54 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

The layout is wired for either DC or DCC operation on the tracks, points will be DC only. To provide for the higher current on DCC, the main track buses are all doubled 16/0.2 wire, giving 32/0.2. The extra, unattached, siding at the top is intended as a programming track, should I decide to try DCC.

Hodsan End  (4) (800x533).jpg
Hodsan End (4) (800x533).jpg (294.81 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

Both point motors are ‘Little Jemmy’ from Fawn Electronics. These are powered by 12v motors rather than solenoids and both have an additional micro switch added to change the frog polarity. (The Little Jemmy is designed to take up to three additional microswitches.) Both have been fitted to the underside of the points in exactly the same manner as a Peco solenoid motor.

Hodsan End  (14) (800x504).jpg
Hodsan End (14) (800x504).jpg (222.63 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

To start with, and just to see if it would work, the layout is powered by one Hornby 915 controller that was bought through E-bay for £5. Now the controller only has one 12v supply and return, so on the layout’s ‘control panel’, I’ve put in a double pole, double throw, latching switch to direct power either to the track, or to the points. Each point has a double pole, double throw, non-latching [(on)-OFF-(on)] switch to control left or right direction choice. To prevent a loco being reversed off the layout, there is an isolating section to the left of the first point; this is over-ridden by the green topped, push-to-make button.
Hands-free uncoupling is through Peco uncouplers for tension-lock type couplings (ST-271). These work moderately well and would be better were it not for the mix of Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol couplings. Usually I can get wagons to uncouple but the problem is that several wagons will uncouple too readily when being brought out of a siding. To overcome this, I have to shunt back at speed to keep as much tension on the coupling as possible. As you can imagine, this hardly looks prototypical!
At present the best engine is a Hornby GWR Dean 0-6-0 27xx class, also via E-bay for £15. This loco runs very nicely, with good control and a slow speed. There is enough space before the first points for three standard length wagons, the 27xx and a GWR shunter’s truck. An old Hornby ‘Nellie’ works reasonably well but needs a lot more power. Two loco’s that do have problems are a Hornby Terrier and a Kernow Beattie well tank: both run very well but have too little clearance underneath, so get stranded on the Peco uncouplers when they have to traverse these.
It has to be said that with its existing set up, it is not a straightforward layout to use. First you have to set the route: ensure power is at zero, select controller direction to forward (for consistency of point motor direction), switch power from track to points, set power at 25%, decide which point(s) need to be changed and move required point switch, return power to zero, switch power to track, decide if loco has to move forward or back and alter controller direction as necessary, then increase power to run the loco. Then repeat the whole sequence again for the next loco movement. It does help to get into a rhythm and I’ve been surprised at the speed with which some club mates picked this up, though one was completely bemused.
Future developments are to: remove the Peco uncouplers and install electro magnets instead; convert rolling stock to DG couplings; model an industrial setting, I’m just starting the Scalescenes factory/warehouse; change to a Guagemaster dual controller, so one side can be assigned to the points, and the other to the track; replace the power supply jack plug with a 4 pin DIN socket and plug; give further consideration to DCC.

If you’ve got this far without losing the will to live, congratulations and thanks. Please note that I have no connection with any supplier mentioned.
Hodsan End Copy (20) (800x595).jpg
Hodsan End Copy (20) (800x595).jpg (243.86 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

nickbrad

Re: Hodsan End, OO shunting puzzle

Postby nickbrad » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:36 am

That's looking good with an interesting way of controlling. Those point motors are something I've never seen before.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:33 pm

That's all nice, and the point motors are definitely something new to me.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:20 am

I came across the Little Jemmy point motors at Warley in 2013 and there has been a stand at Alexandra Palace too, I spoke to the chap back in March. For anyone who may be interested, the web site is: http://fawn-electronics.co.uk/Products.php This must be one of the least informative web sites going, so I’ve added some photo’s of the leaflets and a product range and price list that’s several years old.
Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (2) copy (589x800).jpg
Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (2) copy (589x800).jpg (331.26 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (4) (582x800).jpg
Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (4) (582x800).jpg (281.15 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (5) (570x800).jpg
Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (5) (570x800).jpg (241.72 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (6) (800x578).jpg
Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (6) (800x578).jpg (262.8 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (7) (800x778).jpg
Little Jemmy - Fawn Electronics (7) (800x778).jpg (285.16 KiB) Viewed 1674 times

I've not followed the suggested wiring diagram but have used the Hornby 12v DC transformer in lieu of an AC / DC converter, with DPDT (on)-off-(on) switches wired to give reverse polarity. I've not used the universal base either, as the made up unit fits exactly as a Peco motor does. Both the motors that I bought were already complete, so I can't comment on how easy (or not) it is to assemble from scratch. As previously stated, no connection, just a satisfied customer.

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Mon May 22, 2017 2:50 pm

It’s been a while since my last posting here but I’ve been asked for an update, so thank you Shunter68 for your interest. I had a burst of enthusiasm during March and got on with painting the sleepers and tracksides.
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (2) (500x800).jpg
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (2) (500x800).jpg (288.57 KiB) Viewed 994 times

The ‘light rust’ is a bit lurid but, hopefully, a weak dark brown wash will tone things down and leave the ballast looking a little less pristine. I’ve ballasted the track, aiming for a smooth transition between the track granite and clinker in the goods yard. The Peco fine grade clinker is still coarser than I would wish. I still have some tidying up to do once the platforms are finished and I’ve sorted the remote uncoupling.
I had a quick go at the platforms during March and promptly put the layout back on the shelf. I was disappointed when I came to look at it this Saturday, to find that the pattern of the under platform reinforcement has left ripples on the surface. I’m considering re-doing these using ply to give a smooth surface for the Metcalfe topping. I’ll hold fire on this until the low relief industrial buildings are made, as once these are in position the platform faults may not be apparent (or is this just wishful thinking?).
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (6) (651x800).jpg
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (6) (651x800).jpg (341.08 KiB) Viewed 994 times
On the far right, I’m thinking of putting in a ramp to take the platform down to ground level - another item for the ‘to do’ list.
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (13) (800x506).jpg
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (13) (800x506).jpg (280.02 KiB) Viewed 994 times
The ends of two electromagnetic uncouplers are evident between sleepers. These haven’t been wired up yet. I’m still undecided whether to use DG couplings or staples glued to the tension lock droppers and also whether to keep the electromagnets or replace them with several static magnets. I’ll have to do some testing to see which are the best options.
I’ve decided on a cobbled forecourt for the goods shed and store, this needs painting and weathering. The goods shed needs its edges toned down. It’s a Superquick model; while I like these, it still looks too regular and boxy but will have to do for now.
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (15) (800x533).jpg
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (15) (800x533).jpg (302.28 KiB) Viewed 994 times
The little store is a free sample to download and was fun to make.
I feel that anyone reading this and viewing the photo’s will be disappointed with the lack of progress and poor quality of results to date – you have my apologies. For now though, Hodsan End is going back on the shelf while I try to get a little further with Crossways Wagon Works.
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (16) (800x345).jpg
2017-05-20 Hodsan End progress (16) (800x345).jpg (220.41 KiB) Viewed 994 times

shunter68

Postby shunter68 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:12 pm

John thanks a lot for the updates its all food for thought and I think its coming along nicely. :D

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Re the unwanted uncoupling, Dad-1 has a solution for a problem with KDs,
it involves putting a light brake on each wagon, a piece of thin metal bearing lightly on one axle of each. You have to do all stock for a shunting puzzle layout, but that shouldn't amount to too many. :) o
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Mon May 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks Bufferstop,
I shall consult the oracle of West Bay forthwith.
Cheers
KM

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”