Wither Green 00 gauge Third rail.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Wither Green 00 gauge. BR(S)

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun May 31, 2015 9:09 am

THE CHIEF wrote:The next N gauge layout is already planned and drawn up. But I dont have the space right now. Its going to be LARGE. In N gauge terms at least.
Looking forward to that one :D

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:30 am

I love the detail your going into with this layout, the ballasting is looking fabulous! Will be checking back in the future to see how this comes along, keep it up!
Regards, Jed

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Thank you :) I'll do my best to keep the quality consistent. I've been waiting for some code 60 rail from Liverpool for a couple of weeks now. Once that arrives I can add the third rail, barge boards and cabling. Then hopefully that will be the track work complete.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:07 pm

That 3rd rail keeps me well away from Southern Region, heads & brick walls comes to mind.
Although I do like watching others do the fiddly work, you should find doing it in 4 mm easy
after all that 'N' work.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Its easier is some respects as in you can just by the parts :) But it also adds the temptation to add further details which is when it becomes a bit more tricky.

I had to go and do a job as a favour all the way in Reading today which was a bit annoying as it took me three hours to get there. As I was beavering away in the cab I heard a funny noise coming from the railway line I was next to. It was Mayflower on the Cathedrals Express :) Just goes to show, one good deed and all that...

SRinSussex

Postby SRinSussex » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:12 pm

Really enjoyed catching up on your layout progress, great to see a thriving third rail scene here on NRM. Particularly looking forward to the 'electrifying' of the relevant lines, especially those finer details which I'll find very inspiring I'm sure!

You've got me dreaming of my next southern electric layout already....ahh

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks SRinSussex :) While I'm still waiting for the missing code 60 rail there's not much I can really be getting on with with the materials I have. But I had the urge to make something. One of the things I want to add on the upper road area when its built is a BT scene. Whilst the van is sorted in land rover form I will need a few bits of equipment. The first thing is a gate guard to stop Joe public wandering down a hole!
So I had a look at what was laying around. I found some brass wire and bronze pick up strip. Just the ticket :)
I bent the wire around some pliers of the correct size to give me the main frame shape. Then the bronze strip was soldered across the frames for the boards. Once three gates where made I soldered them together in an open position ready for later.
They just need a bit of red and white paint now :wink: These little gates fold up and fit in the back of the land rover.
So there we go, a quick and easy scratch build :)

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Those gates look fantastic and should look even better when painted. Do you have any plans to make one of those little tent things you sometimes see telecoms workers using?

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Oh I like those. I think you should go into business with those!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:31 pm

The stripy red and white tent is a must for a BT scene (I see you've gone for the now historic BT rather that current OR colours. If I was doing one it would have to feature a Brummy tent. When the stripy one were introduced there were only enough for half of the crews to get them. Protests were made as to who should get them, the Area Engineer had other ideas. every crew got half a set and was told to erect them so that the stripy side faced whichever way they considered the greater risk. It must have been nearly eighteen months before the hybrid tents (Khaki one side stripy on the other) disappeared
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Thanks guys :)
I've still got a two tone tent in a dilapidated state as a hand me down. The Land rover is a place holder till I can find a kit for a Sherpa. I generally only use a tent if I'm jointing in the rain. Can't get water in a closure :wink: But it would be an interesting item. We'll see :)
I much prefer the British Telecom livery. The bugle type was also iconic. The new open reach livery is just generic to me. What kit comes out depends on how far from an exchange I am. Right outside and its all the bells and whistles. Out in the sticks, no so much... :twisted:

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:32 pm

The Chief

I just love these touches you are building already, you obviously have thought out exactly how the layout will look before starting.

I would wholehearted recommend that, it makes things so much easier in the long run - That said you can always add a new idea somewhere as the layout develops, as no one knows what your original plan was :)

Evidently a man after my own heart ( but a far superior modeller).

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:00 pm

That's an ingenious way of making little barriers and could be easily adapted for larger sections of railings. It really helps set that little BT van off. I will be logging this method for future use. 8)

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:15 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:Thanks guys :)
I've still got a two tone tent in a dilapidated state as a hand me down. The Land rover is a place holder till I can find a kit for a Sherpa. I generally only use a tent if I'm jointing in the rain. Can't get water in a closure :wink: But it would be an interesting item. We'll see :)
I much prefer the British Telecom livery. The bugle type was also iconic. The new open reach livery is just generic to me. What kit comes out depends on how far from an exchange I am. Right outside and its all the bells and whistles. Out in the sticks, no so much... :twisted:

Not much changes as a lowly Youth in Training I was sent out with the overhead gang. One of the blokes was terracing the slope in his garden he needed one more 3x2 slab to finish it. He spotted the very one he needed just outside the************ Police station. So up went the tent and in came sufficient broken slab to fill 3x2 and out came the slab. At one point a copper stuck his nose in, the guy with the shovel said " soon as we dig it out we'll have you back on". "Thanks mate" said the copper and on his way he went. As we cleared up another copper appeared, "are we back on" "you are, shame the slab broke, I'll put in a reinstatement sheet, get it sorted" . Away went the wagon with a 3x2 slab sitting in the back. All done under the cover of one of those red and white tents.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:38 pm

Thanks chaps, your very kind :)
Notroh, yes the layout is already finished in my head. Now its just an issue of repeating the process :D Don't know about better modeller though ;)

Carnehan, I was studying your layouts "brain" the other day. We'll call it one all :)

Bufferstop, Its funny how little things change. Quite a few of the lads have had things sucked into a tent. Mind you... You wouldn't believe how much whisky and tobacco my mate martin could fit in a mortar tube!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”