Little Stanton, N gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dugie Diesel

Little Stanton, N gauge layout

Postby Dugie Diesel » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Normally i model in 00 but a couple of years ago i treated myself to the N gauge colliery set by Farish to see how i got on with the smaller scale, the space benefits being obvious. I quickly made a baseboard up and got the track laid but soon after i lost interest thanks to a very boring trackplan and started a new 00 layout. Anyway back to today and ive had to break up the 00 because of having work done on the house so it seemed like a good time to have another go at the N to keep my hand in until i can restart a new 00.

Using the old base board which is 48"x27" and made of 9mm ply, i started making some trackplans using Anyrail. After a few false starts i decided on my 4th attempt shown below'

The island station is on the right in a shallow cutting, this gave me a passing loop and access to the goods yard, along the bottom i added a siding which leads to a factory. There will be a back scene set forward at the back and to the left giving a hidden run and a possible storage siding.

Track down, TBH i love this part but N isn't for me ive decided, i found it so fiddly and spent ages realigning fish plates and tightening them up. I used small pieces of double sided tape to hold the track in position until i ballast.

I started putting the buildings in position until i found what looked ok.

Then made a start on the scenery using Celotex board, more expensive than polystyrene but easier to carve and shape and with the added bonus that being foil backed gives a good surface for double sided tape or hotmelt glue. Besides the polystyrene balls drive me crazy!!

Then added a few more bit to get the feel for the layout and started on the road bridge :)

Don't mess with my Choo Choo.......

ParkeNd

Re: Little Stanton, N gauge layout

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Welcome to the ever expanding N gauge clan.

Nice start. Keep posting as you progress.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:33 pm

You have managed a lot there and have obviously been beavering away preparing buildings for the layout. Has your mojo returned for N now that things have advanced or are you still pining after OO?

Paul

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Fitting fishplates in N is probably the most difficult and frustrating part in my opinion. You've made great progress there though and it certainly looks good. :)

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:28 pm

That's already looking very good - and an excellent board size (see my attempt in exactly the same dimensions via sig line!). One to watch I reckon.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Dugie Diesel

Postby Dugie Diesel » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks all, Im enjoying myself more now im on the scenery part but i have a large collection of 00 so i think that will be my main interest, however i wont discount N in the future thats for sure. Your layout looks good too Whynot :) I had the Metcalfe kits already built for my original stalled layout and the station building too although that is likely to be replaced when i build the new island platform.

After a visit to my local model shop i picked up some Kestrel kits and have been building them in the last day or so, the terraces are going on the raised ground to the right of the brewery close to the backscene.

The signal box was the trickiest, in the end i fixed it to a base of thin styrene sheet so i could position the stairs and banisters easier, when its finished ill do the base as a slabbed walkway round the box. Ive left the cabin loose at the moment so i can add the glazing after painting and then add a basic representation of the interior. Due to a lack of instructions and working from a very small picture on the packet the signal box took longer than the others, was hard work trying to figure out how the banisters/hand rails went together but fun none the less :)

markh

Postby markh » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Cracking layout, looks brillinat, and seesm your off to a good start, keep it up,

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:07 pm

Oooh, another great little N layout on the forum :D. Yeah I found track laying a bit of a challenge - fishplates and tight curves in flexible track threatened to deter me, but luckily I persevered. After that N becomes addictive! The quality of RTR models these days is excellent and Dapol easi-shunt couplings now allow hands free shunting (and they look so much better than the standard Rapido couplings too). You have the start to a lovely little layout - good luck, and please keep us updated as it progresses.

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:20 pm

Woohoo! Another N gauger!

That is a nice layout, coming on a treat (and at a much faster pace than mine :o). Looking forward to more updates.

Don't worry, we'll slowly wean you off the OO :roll: :lol:

Dugie Diesel

Postby Dugie Diesel » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 pm

Well, much to my embarrassment its been a very long time since ive updated this thread, sadly being a full time carer has really restricted my time to pursue leisure activities. I have more time now so progress can continue :)

So i added some grass to the field using a grass sheet with hanging basket liner to represent rough grass on the embankment, also bought some stone walling which i wasn't sure about till it was in place but very pleased with the result.

Then i started work on the brewery footprint but after thinking about how the back scene would fit i decided to raise the area with a tunnel running underneath which i was much happier with.

Once that was done i started work on the rock face using cork bark cut into small pieces cut slightly diagonally to give a layered apearence. First time ive used it but this layout has given me opportunity to try out new techniques which is good :)

Then added some greenery which im quite pleased with, i find i can drift away from the real world for ages doing stuff like this :D

Next step is to continue with the brewery site adding the ground cover, probably going to use light coloured sand paper to represent gravel then weather it down a bit.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Great progress - the rock face looks excellent, very natural with the greenery.
Love the brewery too - always good to have a supply of beer in the house, but will it be transported by rail ( 8) ) or road ( :o )?

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:29 pm

The brewery feature above the rocky face and tunnel mouth looks absolutely right. Nice work.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:54 pm

You have the makings of a nice little layout there, one to follow I think.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 pm

Ross on Wye is doing a fine job on the back scene.

markh

Postby markh » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:30 pm

Nice progress, like the use of basket lining, and rock face keep it up

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”