Ballast Quay - a run down London dock railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ASFC

Re: Ballast Quay - a run down London dock railway

Postby ASFC » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:55 pm

I would be really interested to see an overall view of the layout (including the unfinished bit).

It really is captivating, and the track plan intrigues me as much as the dereliction! I think it is fantastic.

Mat
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:56 pm

Many thanks Tony and Mat for your kind words; I'll try and get some overall photos soon Mat. Here are a couple of photos showing the old level crossing on Greenhithe Road being reconstructed; the track to the right was once used when I first built the layout, but is now filled in completely so only a vague impression of the track can be seen now with small amounts of grass (unlike the view in these photos). At one time the track behind the gate was all completely overgrown so that no track could be seen, even though it was there! This feature derives its inspiration from the Silvertown tramway in east London. The gate itself is made from two Wills kits carefully joined together so that it is impossible to tell where the join is. The derelict fencing with broken and twisted wires (deliberate) was made from shaped and finely drilled matches and fine fuse wire.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:07 pm

This view shows the partially reconstructed level crossing area, before the right hand track was filled in by the GLC. The gate is still being upgraded and wasn't in place when I took this pic. The sharply curved track to the left, passing the small local residents park, may go on to a set of semi derelict sidings serving another wharf. I may even extend the right hand track and show more of its disused condition, with brambles, junk and litter.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 pm

D2388 on its way to collect 16t mineral wagons from one of the many wharves on the PLA railway. It is seen approaching Greenhithe Road crossing.

Rustyrail

Postby Rustyrail » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:19 pm

The double slip has had its day; the old track to the right used to serve a short siding and loading dock; now both long gone and covered in brambles, but you can just make out the old alignment of the track (there really is rail there). As with many dock lines, the double slip was hand operated by shunters with the lever being protected at road level by metal plates (you can just see one to the left - the rusty oblong shape). This part of the layout is slowly being upgraded with existing features being improved visually, such as fine grassing to the base of the house. The London Country bus is parked on Ballast Quay road (now a no through road with bollards).

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”