Table Top N gauge layout - Lammas Lane

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
jamest

Re: Table Top N gauge layout - picture update

Postby jamest » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:26 pm

Hi all,

Very sorry its been so long since my last update but there was not much progress until I freed up some time recently.

I've been looking to get some of my side projects tidied up - with the idea of selling some to generate funds. So I thought this deserved some effort on the final push to the finish line.

I have made the scalescenes high street, cinema and department store. They took a while, but look go and are very flexible - but I did not fancy making more so I cheated a bit and bought some easier metcalfe kits.

I was a bit worried about the footbridge on the right but I''m pretty happy with the end result - the black railings are actually shutters from the high street kit. I have finished off the walling with capping and added bushes to cover gaps, etc.

I have also produced a lid so that it can be packed away safely and offer the card kits increased protection. I thought the 'complete' set of a simple layout, controller and box would appeal at this time of year.

Anyway enough rambling here are the pictures:

All the best,
James

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:39 pm

TIDY! :)
You also win the award for best re-purposing of a henry that I've seen! :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

jamest

Postby jamest » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:10 am

HaHa!

Everyone notices the Henry - he is not as colourful this time of year.

I also need to be careful whats hanging on the washing line when I take photos out there.

Thanks for the comment.

James

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:27 am

A Very neat little layout, shows just what can be done.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

jamest

Postby jamest » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks,

As I said in my first post - I was unsure what to do with this experiment when finished, but since there are always new ideas in my mind I think I'm going to offer this layout for sale.

My local shop will kindly put it on display but I thought there was no harm in offering it on here first.

The layout is for sale as seen, with a DC controller and possibly a Dapol DCC ready Northern Rail class 153 DMU if desired.

The layout is currently wired for DC with the points isolating the sidings - but feeds are soldered to the sidings and can be simply connected up with choc blocks if you want the layout to be DCC or 'all live'. Ideal Xmas present for the space starved modeller, or first 'set' for someone (ok, sales platter over).

I will of course add it to the for sale section with a price as well.

Thanks for looking.
James

OliverSR

Table Top N gauge layout - Under(ground) New Ownership

Postby OliverSR » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi All
As the lucky purchaser of they layout I thought it best to let you know the layout is safe and sound. I have over the Christmas break been 'testing' both the excellent layout and the motorised Corgi underground train I have been working on and originally drew me to the layout. I hope to finish the layout with a London theme and possibly add 4th rails if I can figure how to realistically do it without compromising the running and I already have several other N Gauge underground projects planned to populate the layout.
Here are a couple of photos and a video of the completed train running on the layout.
CEF36CAB-81DC-4738-8899-71DA3FE4C0EB.jpeg

CADE93FE-D223-4EDE-A327-C921C8818EF6.jpeg

https://youtu.be/yceQ-DD3vlY
I will hopefully add any further updates to the the thread as and when I get round to them and maybe think of a name for the layout as well as many hours enjoying running trains.
OliverSR
Last edited by OliverSR on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dave

Re: Table Top N gauge layout - FOR SALE

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:12 pm

Nice video Oliver.

I am sure that one of the Moderating team can change the thread title for you if you wish to continue the journey in this one.

jamest

Re: Table Top N gauge layout - New Start!

Postby jamest » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi,

Great to see you are having fun with the layout - I look forward to seeing the continuing development of the layout.

The underground train looks great, you've done a good job with that.

I've taken the liberty of changing the thread title!

All the best,
James

Bufferstop

Re: Table Top N gauge layout - New Start!

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Oliver, congratulations on your purchase. I've had a look at the facilities on the new version of pspBB, it looks as though I can change the ownership of the first post to you. You would then be able to change the title of the first post and hence any new posts yourself. Let me know if you want me to go ahead.
John W.

OliverSR

Re: Table Top N gauge layout - Under(ground) New Ownership

Postby OliverSR » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Some layout news but more in terms of rolling stock rather then any work on the layout yet but still a update.

Following my conversion of the corgi underground train into N Gauge 1996 stock I wanted to add to my rolling stock and purchased the excellent N-Train kit for 1959 stock. The kit consists of 3D printed body shells and floors and self adhesive vinyl sides available in multiple liveries. The body shells are painted in a suitable base primer which for me is red and the roofs painted grey. The assembly couldn't be simpler as they are designed to use RTR bogies and the kato ones I opted for clipped straight in with no mods needed and the tomytec chassis recommended was also easy to fit. Then the vinyls are applied and this is the result.

07A779C0-DEA2-49A0-A93B-B06D534DB0E5.jpeg

0711F4DB-8BD1-43FA-9820-4C3E2F32057A.jpeg

8E0F5491-0130-42B6-A576-749178D82271.jpeg

5999A07E-3F98-4A23-9B2A-6FC7A673F336.jpeg

https://youtu.be/PTFb4ph-2eE
All in all a very easy to assemble kit and I'm very pleased with the results.
OliverSR
Last edited by OliverSR on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:57 pm

The layout certainly suits your stock. I'd be tempted to try 3rd and 4th rails made from microstrip and mounted at rail height rather than the usual raised position. It would solve the clearance problem on the curves. Was your Corgi conversion based on one of these

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Bufferstop wrote:The layout certainly suits your stock. I'd be tempted to try 3rd and 4th rails made from microstrip and mounted at rail height rather than the usual raised position. It would solve the clearance problem on the curves. Was your Corgi conversion based on one of these

I do intend to add 3rd and 4th rail and have the fun of detailing the layout further despite the excellent job already done on it. I was thinking microstrip or maybe Z or T Gauge rail which would have the right smaller look but I would definitely not have it raised for clearance reasons. The corgi train isn't actually one of those ones(I do have two of them from my childhood though) as that's not anywhere near scale in any way (OO wheels and undersize body) it's a new model Corgi did as firstly at the 2012 Olympics then re released as a great British something-or-other range of toys like a taxi,bus and others too. I believe in the earlier posted YouTube video for the first train there is a brief picture of the original toy.
OliverSR

OliverSR

Re: Table Top N gauge layout - Now Named...

Postby OliverSR » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:25 pm

As you will hopefully be pleased to hear the layout has been slowly progressing with lots of extensive train testing(that’s my excuse for playing trains anyway). The layout has had some new rolling stock added to the rosta and minor additions to the high street in the form of vehicles from a variety of second hand sources and some people. I have also added Belisha beacons to the crossing and a bus shelter and stop to the bridge at the end of the layout.
4B04D2E0-0316-4D6F-8236-367805E2FF83.jpeg

085CF5A4-A3D3-44D0-BC6B-9EEF6974CF15.jpeg

I am also pleased to announce I have come up with a name I am happy with for the layout.
It will be called Lammas Lane.
DE2C7486-27AD-4DF9-985A-3FCFACD07DC7.jpeg

I have rigged up a stand for the mock station sign I had produced and am working on some form of bolt on lighting rig fitted to be fitted to the layout.
The name based on a park I used to go to when I was younger and I feel the name has the right sort of sound to it.

I have done a test of 3rd and 4th rail on a section of spare track to test how easy in principle it will be to fit to the scenic side and whether it will cause clearance issues. I have used cut down Peco insulating fishplates glued onto the sleepers and spare rail though in the final version I’m thinking I will get code 40 rail to enable it to be as low as possible for running clearances.
FFAABE85-A1E9-479A-980A-C3782CF6A447.jpeg

Most importantly I have now got some trestles with the layout on it set up permanently in a bedroom of the house so I can have it out almost permanently.
OliverSR
Last edited by OliverSR on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:43 pm

It's looking very impressive Oliver. The name certainly has a London suburb ring to it. Looking forward to seeing some more pics as you continue to play trains. 8)

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:09 pm

The layout is definitely right for an outer suburban area, it might have been made just for you. Adding the live and return rails will really fix the location.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”