Table Top N gauge layout - Lammas Lane

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
JohnN

Re: Table Top N gauge layout - picture update

Postby JohnN » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:58 pm

Looking good James. You have the dreaded mini snowballs next then. :lol:

Memran

Postby Memran » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Landscaping already? I'll need to keep my eye on this one! :D
Looking great :)

jamest

Postby jamest » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:17 pm

You have the dreaded mini snowballs next then

Ha Ha yes they do get everywhere! I'll make sure I have Henry (the hoover) ready!

Cheers,
James

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:31 pm

I tried the Celotex type insulation board for Podbury. It's still messy but no snowballs.

Next time I pop into Buffers, I'm going to get the mini, battery powered Henry. Perfectly for picking up after ballasting or scattering etc.

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi all,

The PVA has set and I managed to get some time to carve the blocks over the weekend.

Henry the hoover was on hand to combat the mini snow storm!

I take the previous point on the height of the 'grass' against the wall but for the moment I like this:

I did add the front fascia board profiled to the hills - but forgot to take a photo!

Plaster bandage next.

Cheers,
James

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:01 pm

That's the neatest polystyrene I have ever seen. I'm a terraced and sanded balsa man myself because of the mess but you seem to have avoided that. Coming on well.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:06 pm

That polystyrene definitely looks good, but I bet it made a mess! Can't wait to see some greenery on it. :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments - I'll probably wait until the weekend for plaster bandaging - It will be warmer, lighter and easier during the day!

Oh - it was messy - I just didn't photograph until I'd hoovered! My wife is still finding the odd polystyrene snow ball- and will probably continue to for a month or so!

I have used celotex insulation board before, and it is easier to work with, I just had some polystyrene to hand. Luckily cutting it in half was just the right height and enough to do all you see above.

Regards,
James

whynot

Postby whynot » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:56 pm

ParkeNd wrote:That's the neatest polystyrene I have ever seen.

+1. I have tried it in the past but comes out in chunks! Do I just need a better knife?

The shapes look just right for the overall size/height I reckon. Coming on very quickly. Thanks.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:12 pm

That is very neat, I an still finding balls of polystyrene two months after I did my landscaping.

I like how sweeping it is- given the size of the layout that is quite the vista.

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:18 pm

+1. I have tried it in the past but comes out in chunks! Do I just need a better knife?

I use the kitchen knife! - As if little white balls everywhere didn't annoy the wife enough! (there is definitely a joke in there).

Try not to cut off too much in one go - Its still rough, but the plaster bandage will smooth it out obviously.

Cheers,
James

jamest

Postby jamest » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi all,

Managed to make some progress over the last week so here is an update.

I plaster bandaged in the week as I didn't have enough time last weekend. I then painted the white landscape with my wicks brown tester pot. I was going to use normal scatter for the basic ground cover as I thought all my Noch grassmaster stock is more suited to OO and would be too long for N. I then remembered my sample Noch fibres - they are shorter but a little 'green' for my liking - but I thought I could tone it down with scatter etc.

Some of the White plaster bandage staining will be removed, some covered and some left as white staining on the brickwork. So here is the basic covering - you can also see the front fascia board in place in the same profile as the hills:

And a close up of the fibres:

I then added the various scatters and bushes from my scenic box. I'm working on the basic rule that a short tree, bush and scrub in OO roughly halves to become a tall tree, large bush and bush in N - get what I mean? I'm pretty confident in OO now but I'm still learning what looks 'right' in N - after all this is supposed to be a learning exercise in N.

So here are my efforts to build on the base scenic's - I tends to blob pva around and throw things on it. If it is too fine I spray with hairspray, scatter, and then spray again after it has set for a bit - and then hoover up the stuff propelled around the conservatory!

And remember its only 3'x2':

Not finished with the green yet but it is getting there.

Edit note: I do plan to run over the track with sleeper grime again - and leave the wider ballast grey. I wish I had put some thin cork around now to create a shoulder and better define the track work.

All the best,
James

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:22 pm

That's looking really good James. I'd say you have an eye for N. :D

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:17 pm

" I'm pretty confident in OO now but I'm still learning what looks 'right' in N - after all this is supposed to be a learning exercise in N."

Super fast learning, then! That looks so much "righter" than mine that I may have start again! Top stuff.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

David68

Postby David68 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Looks really good James, you should be very proud of yourself

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”