My first layout! :D (N Gauge) [Clean slate page 15!]

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: My first layout! :D (N Gauge) [Clean slate page 15!]

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm watching too 8) looks like you can run generous train lengths on your new layout. Which point motors are you planning to use? Hopefully they don't need a big rectangular hole cut in the baseboard under your newly-laid points :o

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:26 pm

You must have got straight through the green channels on your return as I'd missed it too. The layout looks great and I'll follow with interest.

Paul

Memran

Postby Memran » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks guys :D

Marcus wrote:Nice how you've linked both layouts. :D

Thinking about this, it might be good to insert another point on the outer loop, in the top right corner, then it can optionally go right around the outside of both layouts.

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:I'm watching too 8) looks like you can run generous train lengths on your new layout. Which point motors are you planning to use? Hopefully they don't need a big rectangular hole cut in the baseboard under your newly-laid points :o

I've run 8 coach rakes yesterday, without it looking too odd. I do think that is the maximum I'd use though. Most of the time I think 5 or 6 would be more suitable.

I've got a pile of SEEP motors, but I'm hoping to come up with something better than the built-in polarity switches. I've found them to be incredibly difficult to line up in N due to the very small amount or blade movement.

I'm currently experimenting with a home-brew circuit, based on a PIC micro controller, with MOSFETs for the motor and relays for the frog power. It is probably not very cost effective, but it is entertaining! :lol:

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:21 am

Now that is interesting. I don't think I've seen MOSFET's applied to model railways before. With one of those you could run points on battery power :D You've peaked my electrical interest. Do you have any other hobbies?

Memran

Postby Memran » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:31 am

Well yes, I dabble with electronics and I also have a home metalworking set up in my garage (CNC milling machine, lathe, etc).

The reason for thinking about using PICs and FETs is partly for fun, and partly so that I can use a normal switchboard and have full routes set up on separate switches. I know this could be done with DCC accessory decoders, but I've found them to be pretty cumbersome. I like switch panels!

With the PICs I plan to create a separate i2c bus (basically a data bus) so I can control many points at the same time. Also gives scope for LED route indicators on my switch panel. I'm a long way off this though, but it would be really nice if I can make it work :D

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:05 am

I've only really used mosfets in gearboxes powered by electric motors. I use them to perfectly time one cycle or revolution. Or programmable to go through say 8 cycles with the motor resting where it started. Using that principal it should be easy to program one to fire a certain amount of point motors in sequence. Clever stuff :) You've got me thinking about one on a turntable now for a one touch exit selection. Bravo :D Nice to see someone trying new things rather than be told to do it the "right" way ;)
Must be time for a video soon with the new track payed :)

Memran

Postby Memran » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Not really build-specific, but I've made some progress on my point controller idea!

Here is the first prototype of a controller node:

This can control two SEEP motors and the relays will handle the frog polarity switching. They run off two data lines which can be daisy chained board to board, and are all controlled centrally from a single unit (yet to be built!). It should be able to handle 127 of these from a single controller. That is up to 254 points!

I will use the same data bus to for my switches and route LEDs.

Its early days yet, but this looks to be promising! :D

Memran

Postby Memran » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:27 am

Well this current controller idea is really slowing me down. It also turns out that the cost is almost equivalent to Cobalt Digital motors :o so I decided to buy one and give it a try. I must say I am really impressed! I think I will abandon my custom controller in favour of the Cobalts.

THE CHIEF wrote:Must be time for a video soon with the new track payed :)

Soon (tm) 8)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:02 am

Tripping up over two of the three railway modelling dilemmas
Space
Time
Cost

I'm certainly impressed, but sometimes buying isn't more expensive
and look at the time saved. At least you knocked the Space problem
on the head by working in 'N'

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:52 am

Just a small suggestion, could you not join the two layouts together, making it one continuous long run?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”