My first layout! :D (N Gauge) [Clean slate page 15!]

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Memran

Re: My first layout! :D (N Gauge)

Postby Memran » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:45 pm

Some progress today! :D

I've soldered droppers to all sections of the track, except for the points:
I tried numerous times to get it neater, and this is about the best I can manage.

I also made some little connector things on a PCB for connecting up under the board. I could probably have used normal screw terminals, but if you look at the copper side of the board you will see that they are connected a little differently:

Droppers to bus. Bus not yet complete though:

SEEP connection:

Tomorrow I will complete the bus wiring for the outer loop, and probably also mount the DCC controller underneath too. Then it is definitely time to run some trains! :lol:

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:34 pm

That soldered joint will be easily hidden with ballast. If you want it completely invisible you can solder to the underneath of the rail (cut a gap in the plastic between sleepers) instead of the outside edge. However it can be difficult to line up a pre-soldered wire with the hole in the baseboard, especially on curves. Looks like good progress.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:57 pm

Looks great. Very tidy :) Do you have the facility to make these pcb's yourself? Did you break the outside copper boarder before fitting? I'm sure you have. I just don't want you to go to run your 56 and the chip pop :)

Memran

Postby Memran » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:59 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:That soldered joint will be easily hidden with ballast. If you want it completely invisible you can solder to the underneath of the rail (cut a gap in the plastic between sleepers) instead of the outside edge. However it can be difficult to line up a pre-soldered wire with the hole in the baseboard, especially on curves. Looks like good progress.

Thanks, I will have a go at doing that on the next loop.

THE CHIEF wrote:Looks great. Very tidy. Do you have the facility to make these pcb's yourself? Did you break the outside copper boarder before fitting? I'm sure you have. I just don't want you to go to run your 56 and the chip pop :)

Thanks! :)

Yes I make PCBs, and I cut just inside the copper border so there is no short there. :wink:

More progress today! I've finished my bus for the outer loop and also mounted my control unit under the board:

I also connected up my point motors to a very crude and temporary switch unit for testing (aka playing) purposes:
Its just stuck on there with blu-tac. 8)

And this afternoon I had a friend visit. He brought a couple of locos, some wagons and a bundle of set track, so we made a layout within a layout:

Needless to say, no more work was done for the rest of the day! :lol:

jamest

Postby jamest » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi,

What do you think of the express controller? - I'll need to invest in a better DCC controller soon and I'm always interested in peoples opinions after using one for a while.

I know it won't do points but that doesn't bother me.

Regards,
James

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:22 pm

It's a great feeling to get enough track and wiring down to run some locos for the first time isn't it. And thorough testing is obviously very important. :D

Memran

Postby Memran » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:34 pm

jamest wrote:Hi,

What do you think of the express controller? - I'll need to invest in a better DCC controller soon and I'm always interested in peoples opinions after using one for a while.

I know it won't do points but that doesn't bother me.

Regards,
James

Well, I'm no expert my any means, and the only other one I have used is the Bachmann EZ Command. I must say that the Prodigy feels like a much superior product. You have access to program all the CVs as well as reading current values. It can do consisting, which is something I don't think the EZ Command can handle. Having a more mobile Cab is useful too.

A little annoyance with the EZ Command, when you switch from one loco to another, the speed knob will be in the wrong place for that loco's speed, so as soon as you touch it, the loco may accelerate or slowdown unpredictably. With the Prodigy, the control wheel doesn't have any physical ends, and just keeps turning. You can always turn clockwise for faster, or anti clockwise for slower. So when you switch locos its always safe and predictable.

Another benefit over the Bachmann is the function keys. On the EZ Command you need to press function button, and then a number, and then function again to go back to loco selection. With the Prodigy, there are dedicated function buttons.

The only disadvantage I can think of is the stop button only works for the loco you are controlling unless you hold it for 2 seconds. Thing is, 2 seconds is a long time in those "panic" moments! :lol:

JohnN wrote:It's a great feeling to get enough track and wiring down to run some locos for the first time isn't it. And thorough testing is obviously very important. :D

Yea I love it! Although I have been really enjoying the build so far too. :)

Memran

Postby Memran » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:35 pm

I think my cork roadbed is too wide to allow for a nice ballast dip between the rails.
Any suggestions on an appropriate distance from the sleepers for trimming?
I was thinking of cutting it to 5mm wider than the sleepers on both sides.

Tonight I will be placing an order for the track for the inner loop. :o Excited! :D

Memran

Postby Memran » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:49 pm

The track for the inner loop and passing loop has been ordered! :D

... and I accidentally ordered a class 37 :shock:
... and I accidentally ordered some mk1 coaches :oops: :lol:
... and I accidentally paid for next day shipping :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:36 pm

Well they say accidents come in 3's :lol:
Enjoy your accidents :D

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:41 pm

There is nothing so good as a 'happy accident'

And this sounds like a very 'happy accident'

We all do it, but don't always admit it...

Enjoy!

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Memran

Postby Memran » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Haha yes, happy indeed :)
I've always wanted a Class 37. I don't know why. But in a couple of days I shall have one! :D

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on the controller.

What livery is the 37?

Nice looking engines, I have a few OO ones and would like an N one for my roundy.

Regards,
James

Memran

Postby Memran » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:08 am

jamest wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on the controller.

What livery is the 37?

Nice looking engines, I have a few OO ones and would like an N one for my roundy.

Regards,
James

You're welcome :)

This is the one:
I think it looks great :D

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 am

Nice.

Looking forward to seeing it on the layout.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”