My first layout! :D (N Gauge) [Clean slate page 15!]

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Memran

My first layout! :D (N Gauge) [Clean slate page 15!]

Postby Memran » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Following on from the other topic (http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47202), I've decided to begin my model railway journey with N gauge, mostly due to the ability to actually fit a layout into the space I have available.

With my old 00, I attempted to cram a layout into 6'x3' and came up with this:
but really, I wanted to be able to run longer trains and have more scope for landscaping etc. and also wanted it narrower (for reaching the back) and longer. The size I have available is 80" long maximum.

So this is when I started looking at N, and I drew up many plans in SCARM, such as this one which formed the basis of the plan which I am going to work towards:
The points on the left hand side will allow for future expansion to a fiddle yard or something.

This plan got some positive comments, so it is this idea that I'm expanding on.

I want to add a reverse loop, and my first thought was this:
But the problem here, is that there is only enough room for a single loco to turn around.

Next idea is this:
This is my current plan! :D

I have now built the bench 80"x30", and here it is, resting on two chests of drawers:
It still needs to be raised up a bit and mounted to the walls.

Next up, I needed to get some rolling stock for N!

I found a pretty nice DCC set from Dapol, including a pretty smart class 56:
Here is the oval which came with the set (8x ST-17 3rd radius and 8x ST-11 double straights). I will not be using this track on the layout, as the consensus is that I should use Peco Code 55 track with Electrofrog points, but at least this gives a better idea of the size that the layout will be! :D

And this brings me to today!
I received a package and to my great disappointment, it was not complete! :(
The store has run out of cork and sent only one length of flexi instead of the six which I need to complete the outer loop. This means that laying the track is going to be delayed a few days.

Poo :(

Will post more as soon as progress is made! :D
Last edited by Memran on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

nickbrad

Re: My first layout! :D (N Gauge)

Postby nickbrad » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:15 pm

That is a let down if they didn't tell you in advance that only part of the order would be delivered, but it's a good plan you have, any ideas for the scenic side?

Memran

Postby Memran » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:24 pm

Yes its pretty frustrating, but I'm sure it will be worth the wait :)

I'm planning to have mostly hilly forestry, with a tunnel on the right side going over the outer 2 tracks, and sloping down before the passing loop. I'm hoping to have a road over that hill and an additional bridge over the passing loop, leading to a village scene. There will probably be a terminus station at the sidings inside the loops. I'm not sure about the left side, but maybe another hilly area, with an embankment between the tracks. We'll see how it goes! :)

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Sorry to hear your supplier has let you down. A shame at such an exciting time with a new layout start too.

Trying to see some positives, at least you have some enforced time to double check your plans before you commit to a start. Measuring twice and cutting once is definitely the best way.

Memran

Postby Memran » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:55 pm

Yea, every cloud has a silver lining :)

It should give me time to figure out how exactly to secure the track down. I was planning to use track pins, but the new track doesn't have holes to pin through, and I'm not sure I want to drill my own.

I guess I have to take a leap of faith and use pva - something which I always thought of as too permanent before. :oops:

markh

Postby markh » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:35 pm

Memran wrote:Yea, every cloud has a silver lining :)

It should give me time to figure out how exactly to secure the track down. I was planning to use track pins, but the new track doesn't have holes to pin through, and I'm not sure I want to drill my own.

I guess I have to take a leap of faith and use pva - something which I always thought of as too permanent before. :oops:

I use to glue my track down with PVA but after some tips of here, i went with holding the track in place with drawing pins, then ballast the track in sections glue the ballast in place, take the pins out and finish ballasting,

But looks a sturdy baseboard, better than mine

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:37 am

The track plan looks good. If you don't know how to already now would be a good time to look into wiring a reverse loop. I do like the loadhaul livery, its quite striking :)

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:47 am

If you are going DCC, then the reverse loop wiring is very simple - I recommend a Tam Valley Dual Frog Juicer - just fit it and forget it. I have two and they work faultlessly - see my thread for details.
Is that a pair of Dapol easi-shunt magnets I see in the photo? I recommend these couplings too :D
Plan and baseboard look good, and you have done some worthwhile research - these are the building blocks of a successful model railway :D

Memran

Postby Memran » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 am

THE CHIEF wrote:The track plan looks good. If you don't know how to already now would be a good time to look into wiring a reverse loop. I do like the loadhaul livery, its quite striking :)

Thanks Chief :)
Loadhaul livery is striking, I agree. I'd really like more in the same. :)
I think it will be quite a while before I make a start on the inner parts of the layout, but I think I know how it should be wired. Isolated both sides, longest train must be shorter than distance between isolations, and then an auto reverse loop controller, right?

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:If you are going DCC, then the reverse loop wiring is very simple - I recommend a Tam Valley Dual Frog Juicer - just fit it and forget it. I have two and they work faultlessly - see my thread for details.
Is that a pair of Dapol easi-shunt magnets I see in the photo? I recommend these couplings too
Plan and baseboard look good, and you have done some worthwhile research - these are the building blocks of a successful model railway :D

I've been following your build thread, and its been a real inspiration for me :) I'll look into the frog juicer when I get near to that part of the layout. But for now, I'm playing the waiting game!

You are correct, they are Dapol magnets! My loco came with one pair of Easi-Shunt couplings, which I have installed on the back of the loco and the front of one wagon. They are so much nicer than the Rapido couplers! I will be getting more for sure! Its awkward to test the Dapol magnets though, because they need to be sunk into the sleepers a bit for clearance, and at this stage I don't want to waste any track by cutting the sleepers out. Perhaps I should make a short section of "uncoupling track", which I can reuse later.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Memran wrote:
THE CHIEF wrote:The track plan looks good. If you don't know how to already now would be a good time to look into wiring a reverse loop. I do like the loadhaul livery, its quite striking :)

Thanks Chief :)
Loadhaul livery is striking, I agree. I'd really like more in the same. :)
I think it will be quite a while before I make a start on the inner parts of the layout, but I think I know how it should be wired. Isolated both sides, longest train must be shorter than distance between isolations, and then an auto reverse loop controller, right?

I have no idea lol. Sounds about right :)

Memran

Postby Memran » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:35 pm

YAY! My extra track and cork arrived! :D

...And so it begins! :D

Marking out the roads from the plan, using 3rd radius curves as a guide, and allowing for a short straight bit in the middle:

Starting to lay the cork, starting from the points:

Outer loop is all corked!

And after getting an extremely sore thumb from pushing in all those drawing pins....

Hey, my straights are actually straight! :)
Well almost! Don't forget, I've never done this before - go easy on me please :)

I've drilled the board for the SEEP motors and also added dropper wires soldered to the three frogs.
Still need to add the fill-in ties where the rails join, but I'll do that tomorrow, I think.

The hardest part of all this is resisting the temptation to pull out the pins and start running trains!! :lol:

jamest

Postby jamest » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:56 am

Hi,

Looking good - you have a lovely long straight in the space available.

Will watch with interest.

Regards,
James

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:38 pm

Looking good there. Very neat construction. The running on the cork should be nice and quiet, especially with the new dapol loco. Just a nice click clack as it passes. I look forward to a video at some point :)

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:31 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:The running on the cork should be nice and quiet, especially with the new dapol loco. Just a nice click clack as it passes.
I wish I'd laid my track on cork. Mine is pinned directly to the ply, and the frame underneath seems to act as a soundbox amplifying the sound of my locos greatly :twisted:

Memran

Postby Memran » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks guys :D

I think I made an error already though. I should have put the spare sleepers in the joins before gluing it all down. Now they don't fit! I'm having to attack them with a scalpel to thin them down enough to slide under. Not fun!

However, I did get to have a little test run, and my loco runs around it all quite smoothly. :)

I also got a chance to experiment with the Dapol magnet on a short off cut of flexi. The cork and track are not fixed down at all:
(Excuse the green wire; I'v not soldered my droppers yet!)

Incidentally, code 55 + 1/16" cork seems to be exactly the same height as code 80 without cork. You can see in the picture that I've joined some of my set track straights to made the test siding.

Right! Back to the sleeper carving I go.... :(

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”