Reggit Valley

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Tankie

Reggit Valley

Postby Tankie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Slight change and now and with a lot of help from some nice block called "Steve" on the n gauge facebook page, I can now start laying track. BIGG SMILELY FACE YAAA!! Reggit Valley starting now. Based on a layout which was on sale on ebay but with a 3rd loop added. My tpo train is being chipped, and when the shop sends it back, will also include a nce controller.

Image]

AND THE DCC WIRING PLAN IS SO LESS COMPLEATED

End2end

Re: Reggit Valley

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:57 am

Looking at the plan I noticed that you may want to bend out the outer loop somewhere or you will not be able to fit platforms in between the tracks where a possible station may go.
And possibly the inner sidings too.
Looking foward to seeing Reggit Valley grow.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Tankie

Postby Tankie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:13 pm

End2end wrote:Looking at the plan I noticed that you may want to bend out the outer loop somewhere or you will not be able to fit platforms in between the tracks where a possible station may go.
And possibly the inner sidings too.
Looking foward to seeing Reggit Valley grow.
Thanks
End2end

the base board is 55 x 38 inch's (not the 5ft x 4ft cardboard on the floor for planning purposes), but might have to chop a few inchs of the 38 to please the wife. 54 inchs wide fits under the dart board (DONT TELL THE WIFE YET !!).

I think I should have space as using the layout BELOW as a rough tenplate, I just added the outer track to it (and that will be elevated along the back wall) and added a few inches on both ends
The original layout made is 50 x 25, but then I only used med or large points and no 4,3,2 bends.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Tankie wrote:but might have to chop a few inches off the 38 to please the wife.

And there's me thinking women like more inches. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Tankie

Postby Tankie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:26 pm

All rails cut and joined - Now have to solder power leads, test, put on point motors, test, then cut holes for motors. Base board 55 inch by 38. Build tunnels on left loops. Happy days.
:D :D

js1975

Postby js1975 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:51 am

Have you stuck that track down with pins or glue or anything?

Tankie

Postby Tankie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:10 pm

js1975 wrote:Have you stuck that track down with pins or glue or anything?

No mate, not yet. Will be soldering the power cables on first, then will test with the DCC which should come next week. THEN, will mark and cut out the point motors holes, and then add the gaunemaster pre-ballested track formed underlay. Have a cheaper roll of peco foam underlay which I will use in the tunnel. Having mucked up my first layout attempt, thought I would try the somewhat easyier route.

Tankie

Postby Tankie » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Yeppie ! - Power cab DCC control kit arrived today also with my chipped train. Pity I've not finished the track layout yet, or wired it up. Digitrains charged £38.25 to for chip and to convert the none DCC train, which is what I paid for the thing on ebay. So £76.00'ish for a nice little DCC runner. Thanks Digitrians if anyone from there reads this. :D

Tankie

Postby Tankie » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Don't you just hate it when you use a 2nd hand peco motor and try and fit it on your med or large n gauge point, and brake the point. Have mucked up 3 now, went to my local shop yesterday (sat) and bought his last large right point, got home and BROKE THAT ONE AS WELL. Ordered a new one on ebay, as well as 4 new motors. Think I will sell all my 20 odd 2nd hand motors on ebay, and stick to new ones. Even ran out of blue wire for my layout (some more ordered for del on Wens). Well you know what us Tankies used to say - Remember the 7 P's . Prior prep and planning prevents piss poor performance. :oops:

Tankie

Postby Tankie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Both Outer and middle loop wired North East South and West, and point motors fitted but not wired up yet. Just about to test the middle loop as only just finished doing that. Getting there slowly :D :D

Nice man mess :lol:

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:38 pm

Yay! Almost time to *ahem* extensively test *ahem*. :D

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:41 pm

I am honoured that you copied my tool storage system!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Tankie, I hope you haven't stuck the track down yet, something has gone awry with your track geometry. Looking at the overhead picture and the one with the underlay in place the outer loop isn't parallel at the top and bottom to the inner loops. The track to the right of the crossover bottom right isn't straight to the straight track through the point. As a minimum it needss aa short straight piece inserting at 3 o'clock position on tthe outer loop. Some of the other joints look a bit distorted but thaat may just be the effect of removing the sleeper at the joint and the camera angle. Trains will probably negotiate the misalignment but you might get a lot of derailments in that area. If you have carried out JohN's suggeted 'ahem' extensive testing 'ahem' you may well have discovered this already. Hope I'm not the bearer of bad tidings.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Tankie

Postby Tankie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:14 pm

Yep thanks for the concern over the laying, not stabled down as yet, as keep shifting the track to join it. Train will run around both, just need to fill a slight gap between one or two rails with my finger burning bloody solder. The main problem was the constrictions of the construction. So glad being dyslexic hat I have a spell checker :D -

Wanted 3 loops, no small points to be used but medium and large, and total length of track board had to fit under dart board cabinet (54 inches). That was to make the wife happy, and not have her upset with a large bit of shite cluttering the room. That means the middle loop is pure turnouts and bends with a flexy filler to run parrael with the 2 outer loop points. The whole idea is a train can travel from the inner to outer loop via middle. More train play. Mind you, if I win the lotto tonight, £23,000,000 buys me my own LARGE train room :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tankie

Postby Tankie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:49 pm

Well, starting to sort out my tunnel yesterday. Need to be able to remove it from board, when not in use. Brain hurts working out what and were to cut, and then dropped pint glass half filled when doing it. Cleaned up glass and most of the mess but said "sod it, sort it out tomorrow".

Just got home, opened conservatory door, and it smells like a *&^&%& brewery and my feet stuck to the floor, so need to mop first. One more job now added to the "to do" list.

GOOD POINTS- 3 wagons from 3 bay came, my ddc has been returned, so at least can now play trains ---- sorry I mean ---
RUN some miniature highly detailed working engineering models
BIG SMILEY FACE>> :D :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”