Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
jamest

Re: Tilley S Yard, an inglenook set in Chicago in winter 195

Postby jamest » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi,

Enjoying watching your progress - the road inlay looks great - I too rely heavily on scalescenes stuff.

I'm also interested to see how the winter theme pans out.

I'm not really into American railroad but the stock and engines do aways look impressive.

regards,
James

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Thanks guys. I was going to try the road again as I wasn't that impressed (not with the scalescenes paper, but more with my application of it), but if it looks ok to you guys, then I shall leave it.

Those AC's Chief weren't scalescenes, but I can't remeber where I found them. I will try and find them again.

James, I'm curious aswell with the snow effects. Fingers crossed!

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:46 pm

The hardest part of the tarmac has been completed:

This shot is exactly what I see in my head, just needs covering in the white stuff now!

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:27 pm

I am very jealous of your shunter, I really fancied one but I couldn't afford one in the right livery. I'm also jealous of your concrete work, I just daren't do it because I don't think I could do it and have trains work on it.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:48 pm

No need to be jealous Luke. I bought the shunter only because it was on offer at Model Junction, and I had to repaint it. £49 to buy, the transfers I already had and then 4 evenings work. I wouldn't have been able to afford one at full price.

The concrete (or asphalt to be accurate) was a lot of trial and error, and lots of wasted card. The struggle is leaving enough gap for it to function, but getting it close enough to look realistic. It looks spot on from certain angles, but I wouldn't get too close!

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:28 am

I ended up with a GP35, which was only about £25 unused from Ebay, my skills are not yet up to painting the Great Northern livery. I didn't really see the point of me spending £75 or so (the budget for my whole layout!) on a switcher in the wrong livery to then ruin it with my incompetence! Though next time I visit the inlaws maybe I'll get the right thing- I don't know about you but I find the American HO stuff amazingly detailed and brilliant runners for how little they cost compared to the UK stuff.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:40 am

I do agree with you on that. If you're not confident in repainting, especially on an expensive model, then don't risk it. I did my first repaint on a cheap trainset loco, and just kept improving my skills with more locos. The zebra stripe scheme is very easy to do compared to the yellow and blue warbonnets I have, so it was an easy decision to make.

Repainting loco's is not for everyone, but I believe everyone has the skill inside them to do it, just with patience and time (and obviously a cheap loco to start out on). I reckon you could give it a go! :)

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:29 am

Looking good :) How much of the tarmac will actually show through once the snows down?

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:34 am

I've already done one and am currently doing another (N gauge West Coast Railways stuff is very rare) but the livery is very simple- I'm getting better at it but find masking quite difficult with standard masking tape, it just doesn't seem up to the job.

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:38 am

Almost too good to be covered in snow! Not as deep as currently in Boston I hope?
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:47 am

Luke: I struggle with standard masking tape too. I hear Tamaiya do some good masking stuff. Give them a go.

Chief: Thanks chap :). The edges will have banks of ploughed snow, and maybe some very light dusting over the whole lot. Icy patches too.

Dave: Haha thanks! I hear in mid winter the Chicago get some pretty heavy snowfall, and the railroad only clear the bear minimum to keep things moving. Boston has had it bad!

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:00 pm

I have been experimenting with some card kits for use as buildings. I bought a couple from Clever Models, a US Scalescenes, and I have been modifying one kit in particular for the main warehouse.

Still very much a work in progress, but let me know what you think.

In other news, they layout is due to be exhibited in June at TVNAM, and in Aldershot, Hampshire in October!

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:15 pm

It has just the right feel- I can tell exactly where it is and what the wider setting of the sidings is now I've seen that.

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:23 pm

That low relief should fit well with how I imagine you envisage the overall "look"! The one open window is a good touch.

"Clever scenes" indeed (wish my PC would allow me to load and print Scalescenes!).
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks chaps. The building will become an L shape, going round the end of the sidings to box it all in.

My PC isn't much better if I'm honest! I'm just stubborn with it and give it a kick!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”