Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
nickbrad

Re: Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Postby nickbrad » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:42 am

Yep, the one you mean is indeed "Disaster on the Coastliner", the got the tracks done in time, but then the loco coming the other way, (with no one on board by that time,) derailed with the guy moving out the way just in time.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:30 am

Ah right :D its been so long since I've seen it I thought it was another film. I'll give it a watch later :) Thanks. Good luck with your search! You'll have to let me know what its called when you find it. Sounds good ;)

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:56 am

No problem chaps. Hijack away.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:59 pm

On the workbench tonight (the coffee table)

The two boxcars were nice and easy. I ordered some 50ft boxcar decals and thought "Hang on, I have 3 box cars with The Chief logo, let's add some variety". So we now have The Scout and The Grand Canyon. Simply removed the original logo (with some nail varnish remover, my own bottle, as the wife would be incensed if I used hers!).

The car and caboose were purchased at the Solent show. I have no idea who made the car. It was in USAF livery, so was repainted and the trucks replaced. I spent the evening adding decals. Still requires glazing and a few washers to bring the ride height up.

The caboose is a Roco model. It was in CBQ livery so again repainted. The end hand rails and brake wheels were missing so have been replaced. It will get new side hand rails when I find my pack of them.

Current usable stock for the layout. I had them out to check it any had missing Kadee springs after I had read that a few people had found them going missing. None of the cars had any missing but a loco had lost one:

I now have a nice range of different ATSF cars to use:

The crane and tender are now in at Model Junction and my pre order has been dispatched. It looks to be a lovel model, much better than the Bachmann model, and the price difference is clear. £32 for the Bachmann and nearly £50 for the Athearn model.

That's all for now.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:00 am

I have also found a video from the Solent show on youtube:

https://youtu.be/WgaZNgrt65Y

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:43 am

Hey, I know that layout! :D
So your telling me that you actually had "the chief" branded wagons? And you rebranded them!?! you swine :lol:
Seriously though nice job on the box cars. I'm never sure with HO american stuff, are they metal or plastic? That crane looks nice and will go well with the loco your repainted a while back. Wasn't that the one in the video? I'm still impressed by the silver wasp stripes you did :)

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:33 pm

Yes I did rebrand them....sorry :oops:

All plastic stock. Still fairly weighty mind. The crane will fit in nicely. Yes that is the RS2 in the video. Don't forget the GP7 had hand painted stripes too.

The crane has arrived.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:21 am

Looking good. Certainly looks a lot more heavy duty than some UK cranes. I remember all the repaints ;)
Generally when I see US based layouts they are huge with great long takes of boxcars. Are US micros as prominent as UK based ones? I also see a lot of metal wagons and coaches. Its strange that we gave up on them in the dublo era, yet they continue to be popular abroad :)

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Erm...you don't really see micro's, but shelf layouts (8ft by 18 inches) you see a lot. Most show layouts are massive, but in the last few years the trend has swung towards operation in a yard style, thanks to Lance Mindheim, who has written many books on the subject.

I haven't come across any metal stock yet, but there are some beautiful brass locos around, at silly prices too!

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:39 am

I found this on eBay:

Six items of maintenance stock, Bunk Car, Kitchen Car, Engineering Car, Storage Car, Blacksmith Car and Work Flat. It's a bulk kit of the 6. In ATSF colours already and unbuilt. Very excited for these.

I also won an auction for another H16-44.

It's an Atlas Masterseries model, with decoder.

A certainly more accurate model than the Bachmann one I have.

My Walthers 6 car work set arrived on Wednesday. Oh boy....

Only managed to 1 car anywhere near completion, the Engineering Car. The portacabin on wheels.

Underframe and trucks require painting (required on all 6 of them as they come in injection moulding brown).

Glazing needed on all.

The trucks are sprung using Kadee knuckle springs.

They actually work too. But require building. And adding the springs...I have lost 4 so far.

So far, not bad.

The H16-44 has arrived. The very first thing I did was change the knuckles. She runs very well, needs a few running in laps.

The engineering car has had it's underframe and trucks painted, Kadee boxes and knuckles added, and the plastic Walthers wheels (which require painting) replaced with Kadee metal ones. Just glazing left to do.

After this it will be the flat car.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:31 am

Due in next month's edition. I hope you have saved up Dave!

Last edited by SR/ScR Fan on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:59 am

I keep very quiet, I know nothing of US railroads, but thought I'd say I'm watching
and just perhaps learning something.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Thank you Geoff. When I started modelling North American I knew less than nothing, and only know a bit more than that now! It is a learning curve, but well worth it. The trick with learning about overseas railways is to try and not overload on irrelevant information. The number of different railroads in America is mind boggling. Current companies, mergers, shortlines (independent small companies) etc. can confuse a new "darksider" (common nickname for non Americans modelling American practice). So there is no value in learning about Amtrak in the 1980's if you are modelling freight operations in the 1940's for example. Focussed research has really helped.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:25 pm

You know, you've got me itching to try my hand at a US layout now, even though I need to concentrate on poor Budgetbrooke.

I hear the Alexander Railroad calling to me.......

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Wed May 11, 2016 11:28 am

Give it a go Nick. It's a refreshing change.

A few updates, but nothing groundbreaking.

A few nice shots for you first.

In the last shot you can see my £5 Pemco flat car. Repainted and detailed.

My work flat has been completed

Another new member of the fleet. Accurail kit. Very nice it was to put together.

And I finally have decent stock boxes.

That's all for now.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”