Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
THE CHIEF

Re: Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:21 pm

From what I've seen of American railroad's they lend themselves to scenic fiddle yards quite nicely. Why not do both? I think one of the stand out features that sets the scene is your gloomy back scene, it just looks cold from the get go. Makes me want to watch runaway train. Great film :) So much more than a film with trains in it. As much fun as unstoppable was it cant touch runaway train for sheer story and acting ability.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:36 pm

I'm thinking about the possibility of modelling a terminus for the Budd RDC. As it travels through the yard, it would be nice to have a destination for it.

Thank you, I do think it really helps the scene. I decided right from the start that the sky would not be blue.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:56 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:From what I've seen of American railroad's they lend themselves to scenic fiddle yards quite nicely. Why not do both? I think one of the stand out features that sets the scene is your gloomy back scene, it just looks cold from the get go. Makes me want to watch runaway train. Great film :) So much more than a film with trains in it. As much fun as unstoppable was it cant touch runaway train for sheer story and acting ability.

Going a little off topic, what was the name of the other film in the 80s where there was a runaway train and it was frozen up, they managed to stop it just before it hit the station at the end of the line in a similar fashion to Unstoppable, ie hooking up an engine to the rear. Been searching without success on and off for a few months now.

The layout looks great and I second the idea of a scenic fiddle yard, rows of wagons sitting in the icy weather would be great.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:53 pm

Still undecided on the extension. I will mull it over. Thank you for the kind words Nickbrad, Solent Exhibition tomorrow. Car is loaded and ready to go.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Nick, Disaster on the coastliner 1979 ;)
Computer controlled train cant be stopped. A warning about DCC??? Disaster movies were all the rage in the late 70's early 80's

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:51 am

Solent Model Railway show done, and I had a really good weekend. I have been offered 4 more shows, had numerous positive remarks and I had the privilege of meeting the editor of Continental Modeller and having photos taken for a future issue. It is very humbling and I was just amazed at how many people enjoyed it, especially as there were so many stunning layouts at the show.

The website has some photos from the show, taken by a good acquaintance of mine.

GaryAM

Postby GaryAM » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:42 am

well done SR/ScR Fan, :)

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:50 am

No need to be 'umble - nor amazed! It's the bestest minimal layout ever, so there. Love the photos from the Exhibition. Don't forget to tell us when in Continental Modeller - I'll save up!

Bring on the scenic fiddle yard.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Thank you chaps. I do find it very humbling as I think with modellers (and musicians, and being both I think I am doubly afflicted!), we are extremely self critical of our own work. And to be told by numerous visitors, other exhibitors and by the editor of CM that the quality of the modelling is excellent, in my own mind I'm thinking "Are we looking at the same model?". I guess it's because I know where the faults are, and I'm sat there hoping no-one else spots them! I am always gracious in receiving such compliments, and it does make me feel good to know that I have created something that other people enjoy.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:40 pm

Just had an email from CM and they are planning to include the layout in the June edition. Plenty of time to save up Dave!

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Nice one :) And well deserved too. I generally avoid continental modelled, it leads to bad thoughts about pretty red and black steam engines :D But I might have to pick that one up and risk it :)

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:52 am

Thanks mate. I know what you mean. The red and black steamers are tempting to me too. Saw plenty at the show at bargain prices. In the end I only spent £15 and that was on three american items of stock, and all three need repainting!

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:35 pm

£15 well spent then! Lots of entertainment for the money :) I've had two cracks at German N over the years. One wirh a minitrix set and one with a Fleischmann set. The trix loco chucked a rod on lap two and the Fleischmann loco started smoking from the tender. Given the track records of both manufacturers I've been very unlucky. Doubly so as when I had to send them back they were both the last one in stock. I got the money back and well... You know how it goes. One day though. Maybe third times the charm :D

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:05 pm

THE CHIEF wrote:Nick, Disaster on the coastliner 1979 ;)
Computer controlled train cant be stopped. A warning about DCC??? Disaster movies were all the rage in the late 70's early 80's

Interesting film, (just finished watching,) but sadly not the one I was thinking of. This one was set in a similar setting to Runaway train and for some reason they were unable to stop the train, electing in the end to connect another engine to the rear and stop it, much like they did in Unstoppable. The problem is, I can't find any reference to it now, but I'm sure I'm not imagining it. The thing is, the atmosphere of this layout encompasses the cold feeling of the landscape in that film so well.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:23 am

I don't know then :) I remember one where they had to build a set of points in a situ to get it on another line. The permanent way team all had to hold the rail in place as it passed at speed, exciting film. Cant remember what its called. Is that the one? If it is let me know what's its called :D

Sorry for the hijack Sr/Scr ;)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”