Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
tractor37

Re: Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Post by tractor37 »

Hi there.
Just read through your thread and have to say I'm impressed. Great detailing and you've got the cold dull feel down to a tee.
Shall be watching this in case you change it any. Keep up the great work.
Jas... :D
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Well, I am looking at a couple of SW9 models on ebay right now, (an Alco S3 would be most desirable, but there isn't a model of this, only the S2 and S4 which are both different). Who knows, I may go for an inglenook setup like yourself as I'd have the space to permanently erect that, unlike Budgetbrooke which sadly is gathering dust due to not really having the space for it
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

The thing about American inglenooks is that there are plenty of real life examples. Many rail served industries in the US are served off a single line, with switches (sorry, points), off to the left and right. If you go for a 3-2-2 inglenook, you can realistically cram it all in under 6ft (if using 50ft cars, 5ft ish with 40ft cars).
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Without going too far off track, I do have 2 options penned in on SCARM, one utilising an SLE-199 3 way point, or the alternative uses ST- 240/241. I really should put up a thread in the planning section instead of hijacking this too much, but suffice to say that I am struggling because even 50ft cars seem rare for my late 2000s based model.
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

Unless it is a new and shiny class 1 railroad, 50 footers are still quite prevalent. In Florida, CSX were still pushing a fair number around when I visited last year. Of course if you model a shortline (small independent railroad), then there are really no rules as to what sort of stock can be used. The number one rule for modelling North American is "there is a prototype for everything". And it is very true.

Don't worry about hijacking the thread. I am more than happy to help people towards the "darkside".
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Thread over in the planning section, but suffice to say it is a shortline fed by the NS. My biggest issue right now is getting my head around the "40 year rule" and what modifications were made, (other than the obvious removal of walkways,) in order to reset that rule.
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

Again with the "40 year rule", some railroads played hard and fast with the rules. Any piece of stock that required roof access (tank cars, covered hoppers, reefers and even some standard boxcars) came out of the shops with walkways still.

The only major issue with the 40 year rule is the handbrake wheel was supposed to be moved from top to bottom, but this didn't always happen if the car was in good mechanical order. They would apply the "if it ain't broke" rule, rather than waste time and money moving the braking linkage and wheel.
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Soooo, on that basis I could be cheeky and just re-decal some stock then, maybe with the occasional walkway removed. I assumed, something a person should never do, I know,) that some kind of extensive modifications were in order, beyond the handbrake/walkway issue.
That sounds good as there's a bargain pack on ebay right now I am watching which looks suspiciously like some models you have already, being ATSF brown livery. Hopefully that will keep us from some kind of bidding war ;)
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

The 3 pack of Accurail? Yes I've seen them, and you are correct I have a similar set already, so you are safe from my bidding! I have over 30 cars, and since I only use 5 at I time, I think I have enough!
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Sadly it's not the Accurail collection, the much cheaper and probably inferior Bowser/unidentified collection that ends in a couple of days. I think they'll be fine though as an introduction to NA railroads and allow me to modify/paint them without worrying that I am destroying an otherwise expensive model.
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

Bowser stuff is very good actually. You are on to a good start if you get them.
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

With that endorsement, a bid has been placed :).

Getting back on subject, I find myself looking at your flat car, such a simple piece and yet it stands out against the box cars. Any plans for a load or will it just be receiving a snow dusting and left awaiting it's next turn of duty?
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

I have been seriously considering a load for the flat, as it would run much more smoothly with extra weight. But what load? Maybe a couple of tractor units? Wiseman Models make some lovely white metal kits of period accurate units (the tractor unit on the layout is a Wiseman kit), and they would certainly add some weight.
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

I guess the issue is getting something that's not too cliche and overdone, yet looks right. I had a quick browse of Wiseman's site and I am rather taken with the Transtar II tractor unit on there, but they're probably a little too long for the flat car if you wanted 2 on there.

Anyway, off to bed as I'm already at the top of that slippery slope you couldn't resist, that of passenger operations. I know you have an ever growing fleet of passenger stock despite no real use for it on TYS, now I've come across this picture and I'm not entirely sure I can resist wanting to model it :lol:
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

I do own one of those observation cars. Rivarossi model. Very pretty.

I have actually sold off most of my passenger stuff now. The F7A and B units and the 5 cars to go with it. I had nowhere to really run it.