Now N ....minor changes (Winter Project) P16...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
whynot

Re: Now N Begins...

Postby whynot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:41 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Looks like good progress - keep us updated :D

Oh I shall - this way I get to convince myself that progress IS being made!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Momentum maintained.....track down!

Now to connect the wiring. That'll mess it up!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Looking fab Dave :)

Just remember to connect the red to the black....oh wait...

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:05 pm

Well....if you say so, Rob. It's so long since I worked (for a short time!) as a sparkie's mate that I really can't remember.....
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:20 pm

Looks good. What make is the goods shed near the engine shed?

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:27 pm

skyblue wrote:Looks good. What make is the goods shed near the engine shed?

I don't know! Can't recall where I got it or indeed whether or not I put it together. It was quite nasty self-coloured so I painted it up a few days ago. Doesn't really go well with the Metcalfe stuff.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:42 pm

The track looks really neat. It really paid off taking your time. Once you get the wiring connected up, maybe swear once or twice and put a couple more IRJs in, you are entitled to a good long play with the trains before ballasting to see if you want to change anything. Going well judging from your photos.

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks. The mix of setrack and electrofrogs/flexi seems to have gone together OK. And yes patience a necessity if to achieve my objective for continuous movement as a change from 5' end to ends! I can detect no rough/uneven track joins.

I've pondered IRJ placement. I could add isolated ends to some of the sidings, but I think that as it stands it will cope OK with at least 4 locos and that is likely to be the most I shall have.

Luckily before connecting the wires, I have realised that one of the feeds is the wrong way round, the "red" being the opposite hand to the other 4. Better now than later!

Swearing expected during today....
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:28 am

Aaaarrrgggghhhh......I'm not sure my brilliant eye surgeons expected their handiwork to be put to quite this test!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:48 am

whynot wrote:Aaaarrrgggghhhh......

The familar N gauge battle cry before attempting fishplates and IRJs. :wink:

Keep at it. It'll be worth it very soon. :)

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:25 pm

Fishplates and IRJs weren't as bad as I expected! Wires now all linked up (no, I'm NOT showing my workings!) and to my surprise and pleasure the loco will run everywhere!

Need to put in few on/off switch sections once I've made a small panel.

Phew!

I hope I've struck a reasonable compromise between amount of track (not too crowded) and space (only 48" x 27"), without resorting to setrack points and 1st radius curves.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:25 pm

Good to see the return curves worked out smoothly!

Have you given any thought to shunting yet? Thats a nice tempting Inglenook puzzle built in to the layout, it would almost be criminal not to take advantage of it. The rapido couplers that are fitted to older models aren't too user friendly when it comes to shunting without some modification, unless you're happy enough using the HOG (hand of God ;) ), I find ramps and the light weight of most wagons don't really mix too well...wagons can often lift before the couplings do! There are plenty of options out there ranging from the Peco style magnetic trip to Dapols knuckle couplers off the shelf, to Sprat and Winkle or D G couplers for something a bit more refined but more fiddly to set up. All are worth thinking about before you get on to ballasting as autocoupling in N can require some invasive work to install magnets.

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:16 am

Thanks!

The 'Nook was deliberately designed in, but as you say uncoupling in N seems problematic. My wagon stock is all old Farish/Peco, so presumably any alterations (beyond my dexterity any way) would require total removal of existing Rapidos (?). I guess wholesale replacement of the fleet would be the only straightforward solution, but that is not financially possible for some months at the very least. So, basic H of G it will be!

As for ballasting, that also is some time off - and TBH I'm not sure that in N some paint will not do as well for my purposes.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:57 am

Hi Whynot. Paint instead of ballast sounds a bit off the wall to me. Leaving ballasting until after an extensive test in case you need to change a point or remodel a bit of track is a very good plan - but leaving out ballast would be odd.

I know at this stage ballasting may be like contemplating an act of vandalism on your new track - but it makes a huge difference visually. It doesn't require any physical dexterity and isn't demanding on eyesight.

If you do a test piece on a foot of leftover flexi track pinned or glued to a piece of offcut timber frame material you can try it. There are lots of videos showing how people have done it so you can get the notion. The time honoured method of dripping a PVA/water/drop of washing up liquid on it to seal it down works well.

My own experience and reading the rare cockup stories on forums suggest :-

1. Do it in 6" sections and don't stick your finger in it the next morning.

2. Pre-wet each section with a fine spray mister.

3. Use an eye dropper to drip the mixture on. Syringes are useless - pressure builds up and blasts the ballast off the track.

4. Leave the ballast out of the point operating bar area.

5. Utterly ignore glue spraying suggestions - there is such a device on the market. :D

You will also see posts on forums saying " ballasted the entire layout layout last evening after work". Smile as you read it. It takes about a week in small sections to do a layout your size.

But try a test piece as mentioned above.

whynot

Postby whynot » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:20 am

I have no particular aversion to nor fear of ballasting (usual eye dropper method) altho' I avoid the points simply because I know I'm going to want to reuse them easily! E.g.

But for N just to watch trains, I think that as long as paint rail sides rusty and the sleepers to match the board, then I would gain little visual improvement. And from what I've seen even "extra fine" ballast is on the large side for N. Also, I have used setrack partly for ease of recycling!

I shall see....
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”