Now N ....minor changes (Winter Project) P16...

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
jamest

Re: Now N Begins...

Post by jamest »

You've got to start somewhere.

I'm thinking of clearing space and adding funds to the wallet - I'm going to sell Braybridge in the near future. It was a hard decision but I need the space and it isn't easy to a) set up at home or b) get to exhibitions in one car.

I'm thinking of doubling my scale, not halving it! I fancy some O gauge stuff!

Cheers,
James
whynot

Post by whynot »

"I fancy some O gauge stuff!"

I did consider that, but decided I had to try the round and round thing first. And it does (or would for me) require a relatively fat wallet. The carbon road bike would have to go and altho' I rarely ride it I just like owning it!
jamest

Post by jamest »

Yes a roundy roundy in O would require a bit more room and investment!

I am worried at the cost, but I think if you are careful and more selective it should be too bad - I plan to go to the O gauge Bristol show later this month to suss things out.

I haven't given up on OO I just fancy something different.

Cheers,
James
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

jamest wrote:Yes a roundy roundy in O would require a bit more room and investment!

I am worried at the cost, but I think if you are careful and more selective it should be too bad - I plan to go to the O gauge Bristol show later this month to suss things out.
Cheers,
James
There are cheap ways into O, and it needn't take a lot of space. it just requires being a little unorthodox.
I have plans (which will remain as plans for a good while) for a 4' by 4' shunting layout, to include a round and round.
A compact version of my 6' x 6' portable exhibition layout in G scale, which does exist.
Trackplan H/W, shown being tested.

Sorry, driftng from N gauge which might take a touch over 3ft square to produce the same plan, not everything re-scaling equally.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

whynot wrote:Code 55 is not I think suitable for my 25 y.o. rolling stock
This myth of older stock not running on code 55 doesn't half still get around! Its true for 00 gauge that older models won't run on finescale track. However, code 55 was introduced when the older stock was still being made with the pizza cutter wheels, so it was made to cope with them. And cope with them it certainly does! ;) My club layout frequently has to put up with 30+ year old models, and they never skip a beat...or bounce over the frogs. If anything, the problems we have are with the code 80 track in the fiddle yard rather than the code 55 used out front.

I would say that if you want to keep the setrack to make laying tight curves easier, then code 80 streamline points are probably better for you. But, the crossings are longer and only match the long points and you can't get the space saving stuff like double and single slips in code 80, they're code 55 only. I'd actually suggest a compromise, and say use setrack curves at the layout ends, but use code 55 points and flex in between. All you have to do is shim up the code 55 with some 1mm cardboard, basically you just underlay the 'finecale' bit. The rail itself is actually code 81ish and joins to setrack with the slightest bump remaining at the railhead, code 55 only relates to the rail you see, not the stuff buried into the sleepers.
Under Construction N Gauge dog bone.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thanks. Clearly I have fallen into the majority myth - at a guess 90% of all that I have read (lots) reckons Code 55 and older stock doesn't mix. Too late for this time though - I'm going with (as in have ordered) mainly Setrack with Streamline 80 electrofrog points. My simple layout (and skills) mean no complicated crossings or slips. I THINK I can combine the two varieties within the planned 48" x 27".

We shall see....
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

I'd think that it'll be doable in your space. The only thing you need to remember when using streamline points and setrack is that the spacing is different, so you need to allow a little extra length in the pointwork to maintain the spacing. Of course, if the loop is single track then you don't have to even think about this.

Quite where the code 55 myth comes from, and keeps being perpetuated by, is anyones guess. It does make me chuckle though, I can guarantee that at every exhibition I take the club layout to I'll get the 'that model shouldn't work on that track, how did you get it to run?' grilling when a Farish 4P or Peco Jubilee trundles through. The answer is the same every time...'I put it on the track and turn the knob...' :lol:
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
whynot

Post by whynot »

I'm hoping if I allow c.6" from end of a medium point to start of R2/R3 loop I can use flexi to fill the gap!

I shall do a trial run first!
Zunnan

Post by Zunnan »

You should be fine with as little as 4 inches to form the return curve and gain setrack spacing, if you allow for 6 it'll go in with a bit of flex easily. You can actually close up the spacing a little over setrack curves, so there is plenty of leeway to find what works best for your layout.
Canon Street. N Gauge
The Workbench.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thanks for that reassurance. So far I'm just trusting to Scarm!
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

Ooo N gauge! Refreshing change for sure. Plan looks nice and compact with inglenook operation in places.

I have some N gauge stock laying around if you are at all interested?
whynot

Post by whynot »

SR/ScR Fan wrote:Ooo N gauge! Refreshing change for sure. Plan looks nice and compact with inglenook operation in places.

I have some N gauge stock laying around if you are at all interested?
Compact ...as in most track I can get in 48" x 27" without it looking ridiculously crowded!

I may be interested in some stock - depending on what it is and how much of my 00 bits sell! I'll be in touch, Rob!
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

I will take pics later. One BR van, 3 16T mineral wagons, A BR (S) CCT van and a BR brake van. I also have a BR (S) MK 1 brake. Wagons have been weathered

Free to a good home. Just postage.
whynot

Post by whynot »

A deal will be done - free not fair though - I could always at least make a donation to Charity (NSPCC my usual choice).
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

RNLI is my chosen charity. So feel free to donate some.