Rudys Model Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RudyB

Painful to the eye?

Postby RudyB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Thx for the encouraging feedback.

Hehe, Geoff, the South West corner of the room was deliberately not on the picture!
However ... even that looks quite tidy compared to some of the 'environments' that can be seen here and there.

Yeah, I like a tidy start. I think it'll become more messy all by itself when 'the real work' starts.
Last edited by RudyB on Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always try to have fun - website/blog - youtube channel

RudyB

Flex rail and tight corners

Postby RudyB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Chris, thx for your feedback. The tightest curve on the layout has a 500 mm radius. A test layout has been laid and all went well there, so I reckon I'll give it a go.

RudyB

Some layout mods

Postby RudyB » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:02 pm

A couple of important changes have been made to the layout.

First, a few points needed to be moved. They were placed exactly on top of wooden bars under the table, which would have made it impossible to properly install the servo drives.

Second, the connection of the industry tracks has been changed. They were attached to station West main line, which means traffic would have to be interrupted with any shunting operations. The tracks are now connected to station South via a long lead, whch means shunting can take place while (fully automated) main line traffic can simply carry on. A big improvement in play possibilities.

Link to layout page on the blog.

New situation:

Old situation:

RudyB

23 points and 2 loco's came in via mail order ...

Postby RudyB » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Past Wednesday an order for 21 points and 13 buffers was placed at www.ehattons.com, a UK company. Order processing and shipping from UK to the Netherlands went very smooth … the package was delivered next day.

I combined the points into the 6 'junctions streets' that I need. With some points it was necessary to remove two outer ends of 2 sleepers in order to be able to connect them. This was easily done using a Dremel, still I wonder why Peco did not design this in?

Then ... yesterday another internet order was delivered from Modeltreinexpress: 2 locs and 2 ESU LokPilot-4 decoders. Of course I tried them out immediately, luckily they seem to work fine.

More info and images on the blog:
- The first track has been laid
- New rolling stock: 2 DCC loco's

skyblue

Re: Rudys Model Railway

Postby skyblue » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am

The track plan looks really good and it looks like you're making good progress on the tracklaying. It looks like it should be really interesting to operate.

RudyB

The first servo is mounted under the board

Postby RudyB » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:31 pm

The first servo is mounted under the board ... and ... it works :)

This is the link to the video.

Parts used:
- Small piece of debris wood
- Plastic closing clip of a bread bag
- Paperclip (straightened)
- 2 small screws
- 1 largr screw

Total cost: less than €0,20.

js1975

Postby js1975 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:19 am

RudyB - am loving your constructions. Impressive surface on your baseboard!

RudyB

The South lopp is done ...

Postby RudyB » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:28 pm

First of all ... best wishes for a good and healthy 2015 to everyone.

Finally there was time to do some serious track laying. The South loop has gotten its definitive shape, it's ready to be fixed to the table. Also the two East-most points have got their place, including the servo- and frog wire holes drilled in the table.

I must admit that laying flex track is not something that comes easy to me. To make curves (which is 100% the case with this layout :), after bending, the rail has to be pushed or pulled back and forth trough the sleepers. Then bend again ... then push or pull again ... etc. It is quite some 'fumbling'. Also using the Dremel to cut the rails at length can easily go wrong. A few tenths of a mm too short and you have to start all over again. Luckily that has not yet happened and I must say, when done, the end result looks really satisfactory.

For the pushing and pulling I did not like to use pliers just like that. Metal on metal the rail could easily get scratched or damaged. There is a simple solution: I used a piece of rubber of an old bicycle inner tube as a protection layer. This works very nice in 2 ways. It has better friction which makes pulling or pushing easier, and it protects the rail from being damaged.

The blog has a few extra pictures.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:04 pm

RudyB

Re...For the pushing and pulling I did not like to use pliers just like that. Metal on metal the rail could easily get scratched or damaged. There is a simple solution: I used a piece of rubber of an old bicycle inner tube as a protection layer. This works very nice in 2 ways. It has better friction which makes pulling or pushing easier, and it protects the rail from being damaged.

What a brilliant idea, I shall remember that one for the future!

Best of luck with the rest of the track laying...Oh then comes the ballasting!!!!!!!!

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

RudyB

Interior lighting for €0,32 per wagon

Postby RudyB » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:30 pm

Interior lighting for €0,32 per wagon? Yes ... it's possible! :)

Yesterday, at the club (EMV), I worked on interior lighting for my Roco sleep carriage. It's always nice and heart warming to experience how members join in with ideas and with actual help to make it a 'joint project'. A big thanks to Ad, Jan L, Jan R and Jaques.

Around Christmas a local supermarket had strings of 3 foot, battery fed, LED lights on sale for just €0,95 (!). I wondered if it would be possible to use these for interior lighting of coaches. I took the plunge for a 'depth investment' and bought 2. That should be enough length for the 6 coaches I have. If it would not work out, the damage would be just €`,90 ... I would survive :)

It worked out well to build the led's inside the coach wagon. Electrical wires are coming out, which will connect to the next wagon. Today I did the second wagon ... that one works well now too.

The third wagon, to complete one train of 3, is still to do. That one is more complicated, there are 3 extra's:
1. The batteries have to be mounted into this one.
2. I like to have 2 red LED's as tail liaghts
3. A reed switch and a small metal plate need to be assembled inside, such that it is possible to switch the lights on/off with a small magnet on the outside.

More info and more images on the blog.

RudyB

The first test drive

Postby RudyB » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Station South and its surrounding loop is laid. 13 junctions have got their exact coordinates and the track in between is accurately cut to length using a Dremel and is connected. Time for a test drive!

The track is not yet fixed to the table. I'm not even sure if I'm going to do that. It seems that when the junctions are fixed, which is needed because the servo's execute a sideways force on them, the track in between stays put all by itself. Here and there the track is slightly lifted, apparently there's some tension on. It has to be flattened to the table at those points. But the rest ... I'll first see how it goes with a minimum of fixation points, it's always possible to add more later.

Here's a video of the first test drive.

RudyB

Wagon with lights, tail light, batteries and magnet switch

Postby RudyB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:28 pm

The third wagon has got its interior lighting built in, together with tail lights, the batteries and a reed switch plus an external magnet for easy on/off operation.

More images and also a short video are available on the blog.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:39 pm

The lighting looks good - it doesn't look too harsh, as many model lights can (that said I don't know what the lighting on the prototype of these coaches is like).

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:46 pm

A very effective way of getting lighting into carriages with little cost. I must remember this for a future project. Thanks Rudy B.

Paul

RudyB

Track laying tools

Postby RudyB » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:43 pm

Some progress has been made this weekend.

A new way of mounting the servo's has been tried. I think this is a keeper. See this post on the blog for more info and images.

Also some progress has been made with track laying. The outer three tracks of the 'North Bend' are now ready, from junctions to junctions.

To create the curves I used a new tool / jig that I call the 'Rail bending helper jig'. It's two wooden blocks, both with 2 grooves exactly at rail gauge distance. The blocks smoothly slide over the rails. When one block is pressed down firmly, while the other it moved away while applying a rotational force, the tracks bands and the inner rail lengthens towards the far end. It worked quite well ... the jigs are a definite keeper.

In the mean time also a few other special 'home made' tools are available to aid with track laying.

More images and info on the blog.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”