Rudys Model Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RudyB

Rudys Model Railway

Postby RudyB » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:10 pm

To make space to set up the tables for the layout, 2 large bureau tables need to be sold first.

In the mean time some investigative work has been done on how to mount the servo drives for the points under the table.

There are many ways to do it ... this is possibly one of the simplest and cheapest ways. Link to the video.

Always try to have fun - website/blog - youtube channel

Bufferstop

Re: Rudys Model Railway

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:51 pm

Have you been hoarding those bag closures for months, or is everone on toast for breakfast and sadwiches for lunch until the points are finished?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

RudyB

Postby RudyB » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:16 pm

Haha, yes B, we're all on a diet of bread and toast for weeks to come! :)

RudyB

From office to model railway hobby room

Postby RudyB » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Yesterday some good progress has been made ... the tables are placed. I really have to thank hobby club friend Richard. Without his help it would not have been possible to accomplish this.

The two pictures show the metamorphosis. A few more pictures can be found on the blog via this link.

The tables are not finished yet. A 7mm soft top layer is planned for sound damping and I'm also going to make a heightened edge along the sides, such that rolling stock can't fall off the table and it probably will also improve the looks a bit.

To:

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:33 am

Thanks for the pics and update. It is one thing to have ideas, but quite another to 'bite the bullet' and COMMENCE!

Hope all goes to plan.

:) V.R.
'whose origin was a terminus'

RudyB

Bad weather(ing)

Postby RudyB » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:19 pm

Almost did not dare post my first weathering experiences here. But then ... not every story is a success story. My first weathering attempts were not more than that ... an attempt. Oh well ... one has to start somewhere. :)

Link to some really bad weathering pictures:

On the positive ... I was able to get 48 shades of weathering powder on the cheap: eye shadow from the local supermarket for just €0,79 a box, 12 colors plus 2 foam appliers. But maybe that's one of the iussues ... probably not the right material. However ... it seems it can be used nicely to add some rust or dust spots here and there.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi Rudy, and welcome to the forum chap! Just looking through various threads and came to yours here, and saw make up being used.... I recommend it, not many do, but i have used it to quite good effect once or twice, it's especially good for weathering buildings and surface areas. You have a great selection of colours there with an almost unlimited field of colour variety for all sorts of stuff. Top plan ;)

This is a link to a wagon i had a go at some time ago with the contents of my wife's handbag. :D
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43007&p=526868&hilit=handbags#p526868

Top stuff!

Chris P

RudyB

Postby RudyB » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Well, Terrier, thx for your encouraging reply!

Of course I followed the link and had a peek at your 'handbag weathering project'. I must say ... the result of that project is astonishing! The use of the mascara and the vitamin B and E nail polish remover made me rofl of course! :)

Yes ... using make-up for weathering definitely is a keeper.

RudyB

Track fixing

Postby RudyB » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:36 am

Today a few more steps have been made. First, the green top layer of 7mm soft board is placed. Pictures follow later this week.

Then a test has been performed with track fixing. I do not like to glue. I like to keep the option open to change the layout, or maybe even start all over again with another layout, at a later time. Not impossible with glue, but still the rail becomes a bit messy. Alternatives could be to use nails, or screws. Yet, I opted for another solution ... the use of metal flower binding wire.

The 1st image shows the fixing wire when it was still green, and therefore visible. After tipping it with a black marker pen it became so well camouflaged that it is almost invisible at normal viewing distances.

More info and more images on the blog via this link.

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:39 am

Hi

A neat fix.

Apologies if I've missed it, but what is the read switch for?

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

RudyB

The table is ready

Postby RudyB » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:12 pm

This morning the final screw was tightened in the table ... it is finished!

A green soft board layer is added, which should take care of some sound damping. And as a 'finishing touch' a border is mounted along the entire edge.

Next thing on the agenda is to lay some track. When I have any track that is. This weekend I plan to visit a model railway trade show where hopefully I can tick off some of the items on my shopping list there.

More pictures on the blog via this link.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:30 pm

Good progress!

Advisory, if anyone hasn't said it:
where you are having tighter radius curves, pre-curved track can have very distinct advantages over flexitrack, even if it means cutting shortish pieces of larger radius to transition from a tight curve to an easier curve or to a straight.
With a tight curve in flexitrack there is not too much room for error, and a slight kink may produce a spot which is just *too* tightly curved.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:13 pm

It's all looking very ordered and neat. Congratulations on completing stage 1

:) V.R.
'whose origin was a terminus'

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Almost too neat for my scruffy mind to accept !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:03 am

Dad-1 wrote:Almost too neat for my scruffy mind to accept !!

Geoff T.

I was thinking that this 5S environment was a welcome change from the post rock festival like layout boards you often see with three months abandoned off-cuts, coffee cups, lost tools, empty paint pots, power tools, pizza cartons, lawn mowers, etc etc.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”