Podbury - Something Rural

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
JohnN

Podbury - Something Rural

Postby JohnN » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Having recently bought a new place, not only is a lot of my spare time taken up renovating and restoring seemingly every room and their period features, but my DCC layout has been stored to prevent damage whilst walls and ceilings are rebuilt, parquet floors laid and plaster coving fitted. My schedule for a spare room extension or railway outbuilding keeps slipping back. Then add into this the frustration of not being able to model for ages and I have reached the point where something was required to give me a modelling / loco running fix.

Planning permission was applied for and gracious approved by the domestic authority for a small 4’ x 2’ portable layout which could sit out the way when not being worked upon and did not require any special room to be made available for it.

The theme for this will be to try some new things plus as I do not have a test bed for running in locos before chipping them it will be DC. New things being included are:

Sundela baseboard
Electrofrog points
Peco PL10E/PL15 switched points
Working signals
Mimic board
Daler board

The layout itself will be very simple; a single oval of a rural/village type with a passing loop storage siding at the rear obscured by a rising landscape, single platform set on a passing loop and a single siding with livestock/simple goods facilities. It’s kind of inspired by Kelmscott & Langford on the Fairford branch only with the station passing loop to enable a touch more operational interest. Building and scenery will be inspired and based upon places in my area.

The baseboard was constructed at the weekend using 70x20mm PSE:

4×2 Sundela baseboard

Name wise, I am thinking of something like Podbury or Podmore.
Last edited by JohnN on Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skyblue

Re: Podbury or Podmore - Something Rural

Postby skyblue » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:27 am

I assume it's N gauge? The baseboard looks good - you shouldn't have any problems with it warping.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:05 am

I don't know what sort of track plan you have in mind. If a twin track roundy roundy the 24" width may force you into some tight curves. My layout is 28" wide and even with 12" and 10.5" outer and inner radii I could have done with another 2".

The 12" radii is to the centre of the track and not the edge and I got around it by super gluing strips of balsa to the edges at the ends to leave minimal space for scenery. Even then it's tight. I find that long locos like my Deltic and Western, and even moderate length steam like a Jubilee protest, though not derail, below 12" radius.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:09 am

Hi skyblue. Yes, I omitted to mention its N gauge. The baseboard is very rigid yet suprisingly light. I've yet to add two supports front to back underneath, rather waiting until I'm happy with where point motors are going before fixing them in place.

Hi ParkeNd. Its just a single loop and I'll be going as close to the board edges as I dare and is safe to do. This layout is just enough for me to test run in DC whilst giving me scope for some scenery and buildings to sate the modelling bug and at the same time try my hand at a few new things. One of them is your use of Daler board instead of foam board or balsa for the structure of buildings. :)

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:02 am

The single loop will probably see you using about a 10.5" radius which is perfect for short diesels like Class 22, 24, and 25. Maybe just avoid a 9F :)

Delighted your are going to have a go with Daler Board. Use a Swann Morton scalpel which are incredibly cheap on Amazon (about £6 with 10 blades I think) and you will be amazed at the precise way it cuts and doesn't warp like cheap plastic card. Go for it.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:03 pm

Tonight I have test pinned some flexi down so I can start get an idea of if the layout as I originally planned it was going to work. In short the answer is no. There is insufficient room for the passing loops let alone a siding. The picture below demonstrates this and I've included a carriage to help illustrate this.

So my thinking is that I can only fully satisfy 2 of my requirements; a DC test track with room for scenic modelling, meaning my trying some new things will be limited to Sundeala and Daler board and not Electrofrog and mimic boards.

At least I should be able to get to the scenic stage a bit quicker.

Question, what do people recommend I use to 'seal' the Sundeala before adding ballast and scatter with it's required water/pva mix?

Thanks in anticipation.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:24 pm

John,

Can you not just add another 18", it wouldn't half help.

If you think Trouve is only 6' x 2'6" it is amazing what that extra space can give you.

What ever you decide best of luck with it and I will be watching with great interest

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:57 pm

Yay! There's a storm of southern N gauge a'brewing. Top work on the base board. The passing loop, could you not add a point on either corner. The passing loop would be on the curve then.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:11 pm

Although you have learned early that another inch in N gauge is a lot of space I think all is not lost. My outer track runs along the very front edge of my layout and I have never had a moments grief with it. If you slide your illustrated track demo forwards and make your curve radii 10.5 inches, and add just a 3/4 inch piece of balsa at the back edge you will have enough room for a passing loop. Put a left hand point in the front and you can take a siding inside the bottom straight.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:14 am

You could just about get what you want into the space but you would be limited to two coach trains and a tank engine. Or one coach and a CCT.

The points are code55 electro frog. If you used setrack you could use longer trains but that comes with other issues.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 am

Or could you not plead inadequate planning permission and put a 5 ft x 2 ft 6 in MDF top on your exiting setup before it's too late. The extra 6 ins each end and 3 ins front and rear would make a heck of a difference potential wise whilst not harming the structural rigidity.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:18 am

Thank you for all the feedback and ideas guys, it really is appreciated. :)

Chief, thanks for taking the time to do the layout diagram, that was really impactive.

I certainly don't want to go down the Set Track road or have track that is too twisty. I could extend the board but then it would just end up being a similar size to my existing DCC board. The priorities for me here are to have a DC layout to run locos in on as well as something to do a bit of modelling on.

I will have a play with track positioning but suspect the most sensible thing will be to keep it as a scenic test loop. I may well re-lay part of my DCC layout to incorporate the other elements I wanted to try, e.g. Electrofrog points, mimic board etc. Hopefully I should be able to get it out of storage in time for the holidays/early in the New Year.

JohnN

Track Bed Down

Postby JohnN » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Bit of a belated update from me which I meant to post last weekend but just plain ran out of time.

I have made a decision based upon the size of the board and my wanting it to look reasonably realistic and not have to resort to using Set Track, to just have a plain oval with one siding, very much akin to Kelmscott & Langford on the Fairford branch which was my original inspiration for the layout.

Due to the nature of construction of this board, e.g. Sundeala, I wanted to use cork to create a track bed and stop the water/PVA ballasting mix just soaking straight into the board. The challenge was how to get the cork cut to exactly the pattern of the track. To get around this I firstly laid a sheet of lining wallpaper over the board before trimming it to size.

Then I pinned out the track using drawing pins until I was happy with the layout.

Then I drew around the track allowing for the extra width of the cork before cutting the track template out.

This handily left the template for inside of the track which I plan on using shortly, but more of that later. Next I used the track template to cut the cork which was then stuck down with Bostik Contact Adhesive.

I will be setting the platforms on cork too to ensure they are the correct height.

Next job will be to fix the track back down, wire it up and test run a variety of locos and rolling stock.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Even if you find that the track during laying drifts off towards the edge of the cork somewhere it is very easy to blend a piece in. So you should do fine.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:21 pm

John,

I cant wait to see this develop!

Best of luck

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”