Fort Ealasaid- N in the Highlands: Back in the steam era

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
JohnN

Re: Fort Ealasaid- N in the Highlands: Decal paper experimen

Postby JohnN » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:25 pm

Some great additions to Fort Ealasaid there Luke. :D

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:04 pm

The decals look great. I think the transit van looks fine as it is.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:35 pm

I think maybe I'm starting to take this too seriously! It's the gap between the lights and the grill to the side and bumper below that bothers me.

Anyway, I crashed my bike at the weekend and my knees took the brunt of the impact so I've not been up in the attic much as I have to kneel down. So here's a few old quarry shots-

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:51 am

Well, no modelling was done this weekend as I was away on a family weekend, during which my wife did this to my car-

I hadn't planned to do any modelling last night either as my new bike was due to turn up (it did- at 10pm! How odd).

I've started to deal with a few things that have been bothering me on the layout. The main one is the ballast. The light buff ballast from Dapol doesn't look like any I have ever seen and I feel it spoils the look of the layout, so with some advice on creating Scottish ballast in hand I set to masking off the scenery-

Then getting out the primer-

And this is the end result. It still needs to dry, and I might go over it again with some light grey as it looks a little dark. At the moment I hate it, but seeing this photo the morning after I feel it is an improvement.

The distillery sidings obviously need doing, and the edges are a little square but I was planning on fluffing them up with more vegetation anyway. Some of the fences and signs will need reinstalling but otherwise it was a relatively simple job.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:36 am

LukeB

That looks good, (though I did quite like the totally un prototypical sandy colour, it looked really warm and summery)

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:09 am

Woops, it's been a little while hasn't it? The last couple of weeks have been filled with a number of faffy things including fixing the wife's car, again, but also the weather's been nice so I've been riding my bike a lot.

Anyway, the ballast has dried and lightened in colour and I think it looks more "right". There's a lot of tidying up to do, of the edges and the bits that have fallen over when I was masking areas off.

I also got a rusty rail pen when we went for a ride on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway at the weekend. I'd looked in one or two serious model shops for these and failed to find on so it was a surprise to find one with 15% off in a portacabin at a heritage railway. I've run this along the rail edges and it has broken down the monotone a bit, although I haven't cleaned up the tops yet as the paint was still drying last night.

There is also some new rolling stock, but more on these later-

Notroh

Re: Fort Ealasaid- N in the Highlands: Fettling the track

Postby Notroh » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:49 am

LukeB

I too am a fan of the Rusty Rail pen and it has certainly made a big difference to your track.

New stock? There is always new stock isn't there?

:)

Peter
French N, too much fun!

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:55 am

Not on my budget :oops:

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:13 am

The rusty rails look great, as does the new ballast colour. I really like the 5th picture - one of the best I have seen on here in a while (Parkend excepted :) ). It looks absolutely brilliant - my only criticism would be that you're missing buffer stops at the ends of the sidings. If you're on a budget you don't necessarily need to buy a 'ready to plant' buffer stop - you could make your own sleeper built buffer stop. Try searching Google Images for something like this.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:35 am

Skyblue- thanks ever so much! Even with barrels and fences knocked over the buildings out of place!

This was a quick shot I took as I was going back through the loft hatch to get something. It now has buffer stops in place- I'd removed them to recolour the ballast. Two, however, are the sleeper built types and don't really suit the situation so I'll swap them soon. The line nearest the front has a normal rail type buffer which is what I'll go for.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:03 pm

Wow, some great work there Luke. Your track fettling has certainly paid off. Fort Ealasaid just keeps on getting better and better. :D

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:47 am

Well, that was an expensive weekend!

I've been doing some rolling stock sorting out and will be posting some of the results of that later. In the meantime I went to Sheffield on Saturday to help a friend move house. He was an hour late but very close to Rails, my old local shop. I popped in there more to have a nosey than anything else.

Then I saw something I was pondering buying at a good price.

Then the guy at the till said "are you off to the show today?". What show? The Sheffield Exhibition.

Well, now I was!

So, when I'd finished lifting sofas about I popped round and it was great. A nice selection of layouts, even though I was whizzing round a bit, and I had a nice chat about US layouts. And saw some Scottish layouts that highlighted some things mine is missing (namely conifers and rocks). I also came across Country Scenes and Trees, who I spoke to at the first exhibition I went to. He sells trees very similar to those on Parkend and while I was tempted to buy a loco I decided instead to spend the same amount on trees and scenic material. He said he was surprised by how many n gaugers there were, and also that I was the day's biggest customer (not that I spent loads!). I spent ages chatting to him and he chucked in a few freebies. The result- around 13 trees, some static grass and some tufts for £28.

Then I spent all of the horrible wet day we had yesterday applying it to the layout. First, though, I had to make the static grass applicator from bits I'd ordered off ebay. This is the work of putting together a fly swatter and a sieve. Total cost of £4.50, although as the photos later show it doesn't work excellently.

I placed the trees and some bushes, which I hope have made a difference to how it looks. I've not replaced all my original trees but the new ones I've placed around the front of the woodland and let the original ones form a sort of canopy. It's clear I need a few more to complete the look.

A few have gone up in the village too, where I feel they have made more of a difference as they stand alone.

The static grass has gone down mostly in the quarry and at the side of the track, as well as in the woods.

And I've sorted out the side of the tunnel. This area never looked right to me- I covered green painted paper mache in scatter on a sheer face which you can see here and it wasn't convincing.

I've cut that area out and replaced it with a new modular unit with rock faces and ledges that I think looks a lot better.

And a view of the lot-

My wife has gone back to the States for a fortnight so, bike riding aside, there should be plenty going on at Fort Ealasaid in the next two weeks!

Jimmy77

Re: Fort Ealasaid- N in the Highlands: Posh trees.

Postby Jimmy77 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Luke,

Its all looking really good! Having walked the West Highland Way a couple of times you've definately captured the feel of the area.

Cheers,

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Blimey,

You have been busy....Such a transformation, it seems to have gone from 'bleak barren' highlands to having lush vegetation - you must have added some fertiliser to your scatter :)

Ah, static grass applicators, I gave up on the electric version and now just use the gaugemaster plastic puffer bottle. But you always need a vac afterwards.....

Peter
French N, too much fun!

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:36 pm

It does look a lot lusher now. I will get some more of the trees in the futures and make my old trees fall into the background. It looked a touch too sparse- the line from Aviemore to Ealasaid is on the valley floor and so there's thicker vegetation than I portrayed previously.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”