Bratton Lane - Inglenook

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
jamest

Bratton Lane - Inglenook

Postby jamest » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with layout designs for a small terminus in my garage lately. I was going for an Inglenook layout but it inevitably grew to something different and has been put to one side for now. One of the reasons I was going to use the garage was that I had a ready made 6'x1' board hinged to the wall with a shelf fiddle yard. But this is too much space to use for an inglenook and I wanted to be able to set something up inside the house quickly over the winter to play with.

So I went through my offcuts of ply and softwood and came up with a baseboard just over 4' by 1' wide. I recently got some furniture from some neighbours to burn in my wood burner over winter and salvaged some of the 6mm ply from that to create the back-scene and box effect that I have previously used on my other layout Braybridge.

I plan to use the standard 5-3-3 siding capacity using two good Peco short radius points I picked up for 8 quid from my local shop. I have left enough room in the head shunt to use a small diesel (class 20, 24, 25 etc) as well as an 08 or a 57xx. The plan might also lend itself to a more modern application with larger wagons and a 3-2-2 layout.

I plan to operate this from the front and use wire in the tube to operate the points. They are insulfrog but I solder feeds to the middle of the point joining the common inside and outside rails to ensure good electrical conductivity. I also feed every section of track to ensure I'm not relying on rail joiners for power transfer. I've tested the running with the 57xx and it runs like a dream. I'm using left over code 100 track but I do have to buy one length of flexi.

I have a lot of 'kadeed' stock but I was going to use magnets under the track combined with bent staples on the tension lock couplings. But after experimenting I decided to stick with kadees and live with the fact that the magnets will be between the sleepers.

I was searching for inspiration on buildings and noticed scalescenes were currently working with the Hornby magazine in producing some card kits with a warehouse, boiler house, workshop etc. I bought the warehouse and got the boiler house with the latest mag - all designed to keep the costs down! I really like the scalescenes kits and I think I'm getting some very good results after years of learning to improve my assembly techniques.

So here are some pictures of the initial track positioning and laying - I glue Wick's cork floor tiles down as a base for my track. The first shots look weird as the board is positioned on top of the garage fold down board:

I hope to move reasonably quickly with this one as I have the stock ready to go and, in the small amount of time I've had to play with the shunting puzzle, I'm hooked!

Cheers,
James
Last edited by jamest on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

skyblue

Re: Bratton Lane - Inglenook

Postby skyblue » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:19 am

Looks good - will the layout have any particular theme such as an industrial location? If your Braybridge layout is anything to go by this should be really good.

jamest

Postby jamest » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:13 am

Hi,

Yes it will have an industrial feel with a warehouse, workshop, boiler house etc. I plan to have an road over bridge covering the end of the head shunt - or maybe a building in front of the siding - obviously both designed to obscure the fact that the track ends fairly soon!

It will not be a particular industry - as I want to have some diverse wagons and not all of them the same.

Cheers,
James

jamest

Postby jamest » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:03 pm

Hi all,

A bit of progress to report.

I've sprayed the track and ballasted. I've simply sprayed the track with sleeper grime in the past but because there is lees track on this layout I decided I could take a little more time and try something different.

First I sprayed it all over with Humbrol flat earth 29 acrylic paint:

Then painted the rail sides with Tamiya acrylic hull red - I like the darkness of this as I personally think it shouldn't look too rusty:

I then dusted over the previous work with the usual sleeper grime with my airbrush - acrylic again thinned 50% with Tamiya acrylic thinners:

Then added the ballast - woodland scenic's fine grey:

I will dust over it all again to mimic dirt and grime from everyday use - and the sidings will have to look less 'main line' ballasted and more random but that's it for now.

Regards,
James

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:42 pm

jamest wrote:Hi all,

A bit of progress to report...

I will dust over it all again to mimic dirt and grime from everyday use - and the sidings will have to look less 'main line' ballasted and more random but that's it for now.

Regards,
James

Impressively weathered.
You may want to borrow one of my radio-control shunters if it's going to take a while to get the tracks back to good electrical contact status...
... or do you have a "quick and easy" method for that?

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

jamest

Postby jamest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:06 am

Hi,

Thanks for the offer - but the track is ok for running as you see it above. The acrylic paint comes off pretty easily with a sharp blade or fingernail. A quick rub over with a track rubber and everything runs ok.

I did find that with enamels on Braybridge the track needed 'cleaning' a lot more after painting so it will be interesting to see what happens with acrylics - but in theory they should be no different. I think before painting you have more rail exposed to the wheels and after you have reduced that potential contact area slightly - but I don't want to leave it unpainted.

Regards,
James

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:11 am

jamest wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the offer - but the track is ok for running as you see it above.
Regards,
James

That's impressive!
I'm only just returning to 00 after a good number of years away, but I remember pick-up issues with small locos all too well.
It may be that loco chassis have generally improved since I last acquired a new loco: I mainly bash old ones.

Your speed of progress is shaming me, but at the same time encouraging me to keep moving.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

shunter-steve

Postby shunter-steve » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:20 pm

hi james that's some good track weathering you have there,keep up the good work.may I ask who does that warehouse in the first few pictures.

thanks.
steve.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Looking really good, you can't beat an Inglenook if you have limited space IMHO!!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

jamest

Postby jamest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:32 pm

may I ask who does that warehouse in the first few pictures

Hi,

The warehouse is a scalescenes kit. You download the pdf, print onto decent paper, and glue to various thicknesses of card. Card kits aren't for everyone but I would recommend anyone giving it a try. The beauty is once you've bought the kit you can print or adjust the contents as many times as you like. I have some retaining wall 'brick' and you can do endless realistic walls for the cost of printing it off, card and glue. This kit is only £2.99 but did appear in a Hornby magazine a few months ago as a freebie apparently - I bought this months mag to get a similar kit which compliments it.

Search for scalescenes on Google - there are many other similar websites but I have not used them yet. They do free downloads to try out.

Here is the finished warehouse in place with part of the back scene behind:

The progress to this point brings you all up to date and represents a month or so in real life, so my progress may slow a little to the outside world now!

Cheers,
James

shunter-steve

Postby shunter-steve » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:14 pm

cheers james for the warehouse info,ill check em out,cos that warehouse is just what ive been looking for.

thanks

steve.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:20 pm

It's well known that I like diorama/mini layouts and I had read this earlier, but it
still made me chuckle again tonight with part of line 1, posting 1. Quote :-

"I've been experimenting with layout designs for a small terminus in my garage lately. I was going for an Inglenook layout but it inevitably grew"

I don't suppose there is a railway modeller who hasn't been there ...... a universal problem !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:58 am

Hi Geoff,

Yes - the planning stage normally expands the layout in my experience!

I still have a decent plan for the 6'x1'ish space in my garage, but I was losing sight of what I wanted for now. I can set up this 4'x1' in the conservatory over the winter (don't tell the wife - she thinks it is temporary) and play and build as I please.

Regards,
James

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:47 pm

Simple maybe, but so effective - thanks in part to the excellent track etc weathering. Really nice.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi all

Simple maybe, but so effective - thanks in part to the excellent track etc weathering. Really nice.

Thanks - It all needs to be a bit dirtier but I'm pleased so far.

Here is some more progress with the layout. I've decided to go for the same back scene I've used before as shown, in part, in the last posts. I cleverly only showed one half of the back scene before as I hadn't done the other half! I've always had grief with bubbles, and this one was no different, until I thought about only gluing the outside of the back scene and not all of it (like wallpaper). This has worked brilliantly and I'm really pleased with it - although I did trash a back scene set finding this out! There are still some odd bumps over the glue but these can be hidden.

I've also built some of the free kits in the Hornby mag produced to compliment my warehouse. The large one is supposed to be the boiler house and the small one a workshop - but I've decided to swap them around and make the smaller one the boiler house. The chimney isn't attached yet as I'm still not sure how the final arrangement of buildings will work.

I like this format although it is probably too thin a plot in reality - I have limited space and in my world there will be a yard area between the warehouse and workshop - with double gates in the back scene wall behind it. The boiler house is effectively reached thro' the workshop and the water tower will sit behind. I will add a fence against the head shunt in-between the buildings to guard against people not looking what they are doing.

And some other shots for the hell of it!

Cheers for now,
James

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”