Bratton Lane - Inglenook

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
David68

Re: Bratton Lane - Inglenook - Picture Update

Postby David68 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:33 pm

jamest wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, to answer some queries.....

The mineral wagons are not my work, it is an out of the box Bachmann item.

I do plan to further bed in the buildings. I don't like to use grass all the way around as that does not seem right. I have some 'dirt' mix to run along the join.

yes the grass is done using a grasmaster - it is expensive but well worth it if, like me, you are a serial layout builder!

cheers
James

The pictures make the layout look much bigger than it actually is. Excellent work

What do you use as your "dirt" mix

Dave

whynot

Postby whynot » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:39 pm

You know best (by far!), but I think some of its massive appeal relative to actual space is a feeling of "emptiness" so it needs only a minimal approach to "... clutter, people and vehicles etc... beyond the railway necessities such as point levers.

Once I've tried N, Bratton Lane will be my blueprint for another micro!

Thanks for the photos.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

jamest

Postby jamest » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi,

I haven't actually used that 'dirt' mix yet - and I think I only need it in a few places (I haven't shown the worst building/ground gaps yet!!). It Hornby product, a kind of autumn ground cover, which looks like the general crud that resides in corners. I plan to grind it into some gaps I'm not happy with and then spray over it with hairspray.

I also take the point on the people and vehicles - I know what you mean, I think a lazy industrial outpost is the feel I'm going for - with a lot of shunting activity!

Regards,
James

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:59 pm

That is some beautiful work James. You should be very proud. Good call with the Kadees for uncoupling.

jamest

Postby jamest » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:55 am

Thanks,

The kadees can be a pain to get to work right but it is worth the effort.

Since committing to their use I have read that british outline stuff is more problematical, or inconsistant with NEM height, than others. That does seem to be the case - i've simply plugged in NEM style kadees on some stock - and on others its been a right pain and I've had to butcher the coupling area and bolt on a 'No5' coupling. Someone did advise me to always use No5's and to bolt them down securely to avoid positioning 'creep' over time - I can see the sense in this, but most of my plug in stuff is still behaving itself.

On one other layout I've hidden the magnets under the track - but that is always difficult for me as I'm constantly changing my mind as I build layouts! I'd end up with a swiss cheese baseboard - which would be light but very little use!!

All the best,
James

jamest

Re: Bratton Lane - Inglenook

Postby jamest » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm afraid I've been away from the forum for a while feverishly preparing Bratton Lane for its first exhibition on Saturday in Minehead. So I'm afraid this is a shameless publicity bump with a few update pictures of the recent detailing:

First here are the 'grafters' grabbing a break:

And I've also added some Knightwing point levers:

Some clutter at the back of the factory (a skip is being filled and dirtied to also go here):

And I've also acquired some scenecraft yard lamps - ready to plonk down I'm afraid, but they are very nice:

I reckon I've got around 12 ish wagons to play with - as most will know I will need 8 at a time for my inglenook puzzle. Here is an iron ore wagon weathered, kadee'd with load:
I've spent a lot of time getting the kadee's set right and the right running resistance on the wagons (sponge glued against the axles). But having twelve or so will mean I can discard any troublesome wagons on the day.

I plan to take my green 33, blue 24, green 08, blue 35 and perhaps a blue 20 to the show - that is a mix of DC and DCC. I find the sound 25 a bit of a pain with the kadee shuffle so I might leave it at home!
Here is my newly dirtied class 35 - I'd already airbrushed some acrylic sleeper grime, but I've now discovered weathering powders and had a go on this one after practicing on the wagons - all sealed with some humbrol matt varnish:

If you are in the Minehead area on Saturday please pop by and say hello.

Regards,
James

whynot

Postby whynot » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:52 pm

This deserves to steal the Show. A top layout - thanks for the latest shots.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:20 am

Fantastic stuff, I am a great fan of the Inglenook concept, but you have taken it that stage further and made it look less like an Inglenook and far more like a prototype yard. A great inspiration to younger modellers struggling for space - this is how it should be done guys.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

jamest

Postby jamest » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:01 am

Thanks chaps.

My one regret is not having the foresight to hide the kadee magnets. It could be rectified at a later date - but not before Saturday!!!!

Regards,
James

js1975

Postby js1975 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Good efforts.

manna

Postby manna » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:30 am

G'day Gents

A great looking layout, congratulations.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

theunborn

Postby theunborn » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi that's a very nice little layout you have built there.

cheers

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:28 pm

I may have seen this a while back, but it was grand coming back to it and seeing what a great looking layout can be fit into such a small space, absolutely superb I have to say
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”