Bratton Lane - Inglenook

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DonB

Re: Bratton Lane - Inglenook - Picture Update

Postby DonB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:10 am

James, I have just spent a very pleasant half-hour reading through this thread, and I have to say that I am impressed.

Terrific scenic work; I especially like your track weathering. Too often we see rails with bright orange "rusty" sides, where in real life they look like yours - A browny grey deposit covering them.
The landscaping is excellent too. The last batch of photos that you posted show off your skills admirably. The view in the first of those is particularly convincing, while the photo of the vans (3rd & 4th pic) are nothing short of spectacular, the backscene adding depth.
(In fact, had I not read through the entire thread, and not been aware of how small the layout is, I would have been fooled into thinking the layout was much larger, and that proves that the use of the backscene has been a roaring success!)

The shot of the Class 24 departing with the vans is amazingly realistic, as is the last one. Top stuff.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

jamest

Postby jamest » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:07 am

Hi Don,

Thanks very much - I really appreciate that.

I spent last night drilling 0.8mm holes in my fence posts to accept wire. The first fence will run along the grass bank about half way up and end against the road.

I also plan to put a 'diamond' pattern mesh fence alongside the yard area behind the workshop where the chimney is.

And weather the buffer stops, add clutter, people, vehicles, paint the fascia black, etc, etc!

Cheers,
James

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:26 am

Thanks for the instructions James. Sadly I had a look through what they do again and none of it will suit my current project- everything I will need to build is in stone rather than brick. I'll have a look at some of the other suppliers and use your advice.

jamest

Postby jamest » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 am

Hi Luke,

Most of the kits/structures can be bought in various types of stone or brick - its not just as the picture shown - There is a drop down where you select the brick/stone type and gauge. Try looking at the scratch building section for examples of the types of stone available.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious and you already realised that.

I've not used 'larger' stone styles, only brick, but I would have thought the larger you go the more you need 'depth' to the wall face - which is difficult with this method and possibly more realistically achieved with embossed sheet.

Regards,
James

jamest

Postby jamest » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:01 pm

Happy new year to you all,

I've made a good bit of progress over the last month but I've not been very good with updates on here as I've had some problems uploading pictures.

I'm going to update you on the progress in steps over the next few days.

I added the ratio fencing separating the field from the yard - I painstakingly drilled two holes in every post (all 35 of them) and glued them into drilled holes in the bandage base. I then threaded the wire through the holes and glued the end posts to the wire. I've also added the security fencing to the back of the factory and a lower barrier at the front to stop people stumbling onto the track!

Almost immediately I decided that two 'wires' on the line-side fencing was not enough and it didn't look right. But the thought of pulling them up and re-drilling two more holes in each post did not fill me with enthusiasm! So I summoned up some guts and ripped it up - drilled more holes and replanted them - it was certainly worth the effort, I want to put some sheep in the field and two wires would not have kept them very secure. I also took the opportunity to paint the fence posts in sleeper grime.

I've also added the mesh to the security fence, this was tricky to keep taut and there is a kink where it was folded in the pack. I think I've mostly got away with it even though these photos are quite cruel - viewed from the front it is very difficult to notice. You might also notice some bushes sprouting between the fence and track:

More pictures to follow.....

All the best,
James

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:25 pm

The fencing makes a distinct improvement on what was already excellent. Taking such time and effort to upgrade from 2 strands to 3 seems to me to be above and beyond! Love it!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

jamest

Postby jamest » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:34 pm

Its four strands!!!

I wouldn't normally nick pick with your posts but that extra strand took a few hours off my life!! :D

Cheers,
James

whynot

Postby whynot » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:51 pm

"...normally nick pick with your posts ...."

And I certainly wouldn't drill ANY number of holes through YOURS! Sorry - I must wear my new glasses more often!
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

jamest

Postby jamest » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi again,

Time for update number two.

I've added some more grass around the sidings and buffer stop area, painted the buffer stops in sleeper grime and then dry brushed on white and dark rust:

I then dusted over the area with sleeper grime:

I've also weathered my 5 pound second hand wagons bought from my local shop. Nothing too technical about my technique - I brush on a wash of enamel matt black and then rub it off with cotton buds - I then airbrush the frame, wheel and lower body with acrylic sleeper grime. I also dry brushed the container to bring out the detail:

So I've got a good selection of eight wagons for the 5-3-3 sidings - but I'm always on the lookout for a bargain. I had a lot of trouble getting the uncoupling reliable but its not rocket science really - the more attention I pay to getting them the right height and secure, the better the results!

Update number three to follow.....

Regards,
James

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Stonking stuff! The photo's of the buffer stops and end of the 3 siding's are truly inspiring. Not normally a poster, especially of diesel layouts because normally they don't appeal but this is really nice - I'm interested to see how you "plant" the base of the buildings as this is one of those details that make a difference. Good job!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi - how did you do the mineral wagon? The rust pattern is very realistic.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:24 pm

The "end of the line", with the wall and the backscene is really very good. Static grass I assume - makes a big difference. I like it all very much.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5

jamest

Postby jamest » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:47 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words, to answer some queries.....

The mineral wagons are not my work, it is an out of the box Bachmann item.

I do plan to further bed in the buildings. I don't like to use grass all the way around as that does not seem right. I have some 'dirt' mix to run along the join.

yes the grass is done using a grasmaster - it is expensive but well worth it if, like me, you are a serial layout builder!

cheers
James

js1975

Postby js1975 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Loving the grassy buffers. Good work.

jamest

Postby jamest » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind comments.

Time for another picture update to bring you all up to speed.

I've now added some sheep to the field - now the fence is up to it!

I've dusted over the rest of the track, ballast, security fencing and walls with sleeper grime:

I also took advantage of the sunny day available to paint the layout black:

The layout looked great in the sunlight - even though some of the shadows gave its secrets away!

I still need to add more detail - point levers, clutter, people and vehicles etc - but I think I'm nearly there.

Regards,
James

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”