Millsend Layout - OO Gauge Sixties Midland

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
railwayjim

Re: Millsend Layout - OO Gauge Sixties Midland

Postby railwayjim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Thanks GeraldH, Geoff T., Coopsiner and Pete.

The roof is coming Coops, but there won't be much of it (derelict looking is what I'm after) :wink:

I managed a few hours on the shed today, inspection pits jigsawed out :roll: 'what a job, what a mess'.
After I had vacuumed up I painted a little more detail, metal work mostly as I haven't any Humbrol Matt 118
in stock for the walls, so will have to wait till tomorrow. Fitted the trackwork into the pits whilst the paint was drying and
then back to the shed and sorted out some columns to support the girders, an ebay find, a large tin full of the Peco
columns that hold up their canopy kit. These are only in temporary as I don't want them in the way when I
get round to painting and weathering the brickwork inside.

Still need to add capping stones and the roof bits and pieces, also make a hard standing inside the shed and then paint it
but thats for another day :wink:

A few pics of where I am at.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Jim.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed May 02, 2018 4:06 pm

I've been following progress whilst away from home and find it too much of a pain to post using the iPad (and that's assuming I could remember my Forum log-on password, without even considering my mouse-dependency!).

When I first saw the 2 "stilts" at the ends of the through-road wall I thought it was going to be a means of locating the shed on the board (I realise now of course that they are necessitated by the framing of the board as there aren't any on the other 2 corners). Nevertheless I (and perhaps others) may find a use for such "stilts" to enable a building to be "dropped" into pre-drilled holes in the baseboard. Thanks for the inspiration!

Very much looking forward to the Finsbury Park/Tinsley type cleanliness disappearing - excellent job as usual.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed May 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks Ex-Pat, I'm itching to weather it, but I have to get some paint for the
brickwork before I do anything else :(

One thing I am trying to find details about are buffer types in loco sheds. I have
found one type which is a steel plate bolted to the track with 2 raised ridges on,
one on each rail end, the ridges are about 3" or 4" high. I could fashion these out
of plasticard. But if anyone knows of any others I would be very interested to hear
about them.

Jim.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 pm

The engine shed 'stop' is similar to this and bolted to all inside rail ends.

1.JPG

Jim.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed May 02, 2018 10:00 pm

And here's a photo of it:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_gri ... 884705404/

I visited many sheds in the 1950's & 60's but can't recall anything other than the curved-up rail - your's is obviously the "business class" version

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri May 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks for the pic Ex-Pat, hoping to build them tomorrow, so the picture will help.

The engine shed got a coat of paint on the brickwork at last, found a shop with
3 tins left of Humbrol Matt 118, so I snapped them up for the supplies box. The metal work
got a coat of grey and the lower internal wall got a coat of white along the bottom of the walls
and the l-cut laser window frames and glazing have been installed, ready for weathering.

This is how it looks after painting:

1.JPG

2.JPG

And this is it after weathering (heavy) for a dirty neglected shed look:

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

The next job on the shed area will be the hard standing inside. A couple of
layers of mount board should do the job, this weekend hopefully, although the
weather has taken a turn for the better and Mrs D might have different ideas about
how I spend the weekend (I doubt it will be working on the railway in the basement) :wink:

Jim.

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat May 05, 2018 11:22 am

It's certainly gained its typical grubby character now.

Thinking back to those days, modern "artistic" coloured graffiti didn't really exist as such. But you would often see semi-obliterated and smut-covered chalk markings on both the internal & external walls. Just a thought!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat May 05, 2018 1:58 pm

I come back after a few days away from the keyboard and Jim has managed to create another masterpiece. The usual high standard of construction and finishing there sir. Look forward to seeing it fettled and in position.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat May 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks Ex-Pat, good idea about the chalk marks, I'll have to experiment. I have fitted
the 'business class' stops, as you call them. :wink:

Thanks Jim, it's coming along at a good pace, good to hear you're well after the op.

Almost finished installing the inspection pits and hard standing inside the shed, but, I
ran out of mount board, so the long line will have to wait before it gets it's centre done. :evil:
Also fitted rail mounted stops at the end of 2 and 3 roads, made using scrap plasticard.

This is it so far:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Jim.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun May 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Managed to squeeze a couple of hours in this afternoon, found some grey mount
board I had hidden away, so replaced the black card on road 2 & 3, also laid
the centre section of line 1. Fitted the posts inside the shed, a couple of which
are too long and are holding the others off the ground, but that's easily cured.

Still a few things to do yet, make a start on the derelict roof, add some brick sheet
to the wood at the side of the shed (only noticed that when I took these pictures) add
some dirt and weeds to the edge of the concrete floor and then give the internal floor
a good weathering to finish off.

A couple of pictures of the shed and some of the depot now the locos are back home.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Jim.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun May 06, 2018 7:14 pm

Jim, it's looking mighty fine! :)

Just concerned that two ginormous water towers would be so close to each other, I can't imagine that is prototypical, but obviously rule 1 applies :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun May 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Thanks TimbeSurf, you must have read my mind, I looked at it before and
thought the same thing, I think the smaller one may be moved elsewhere
and the space could then be filled with a sand house, any excuse to scratch build
something :lol:

I've always liked the look of them in a depot, but have never had one, so it looks
like I'm researching once again for a suitable candidate.

Should be an interesting building to tackle.

Jim.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun May 06, 2018 10:38 pm

It strikes me that I can't see any means to load coal? Surely that takes precedence over sand?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon May 07, 2018 7:07 am

TimberSurf; The coal facility is on the right of the penultimate picture above, but
I've never really been happy with it for a large'ish depot, you may just have
me thinking about two structures to scratchbuild, it's just squeezing them
into the spaces I have available.

I like a challenge :lol:

More research needed :wink:

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon May 07, 2018 6:43 pm

I’ve been away for a few days so just catching up on this again. As per, everything is looking quite superb. You seem to have had little issue with the pits despite your intitial misgivings and those buffer whatsits look good - will they be seen when the shed is complete and trains sitting in their bays? If not, it’s the mark of a true modeller to model everything seen or unseen.

While away I got a chance to read a rather good article in last months RM, wonder what that could have been. There were some great angles captured by the photographer and the additional quality of a glossy print magazine really highlighted the grime of Millsend. Do you get the opportunity to receive a selection of the photos taken?

Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”