Millsend Layout - OO Gauge Sixties Midland

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Millsend Layout - OO Gauge Sixties Midland

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:46 pm

We have quite a few good 'N' layouts, too few in '00', at least this one makes up
for that. I just love the atmospheric feel I can almost smell the smokey air and hear
a freight rumble by !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi Jim,

I have been following your layout but it seems I have not commented yet. I usually do but must have been too occupied with the photos! :D

Anyway, you are continuing to do a great job. The word atmosphere is used a lot for this layout and rightly so. If I get anywhere near the level of 'just looking right' that you do I will be thrilled

Keep it up

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:04 pm

Dad-1 wrote:We have quite a few good 'N' layouts, too few in '00', at least this one makes up
for that. I just love the atmospheric feel I can almost smell the smokey air and hear
a freight rumble by !!

Geoff T.

I second this, your layout is simply stunning!

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks for the thumbs up: Dave J, Whynot, Geoff T, Dan and 35011 GSN.

The mention of atmosphere, it seems to have developed as the layout progressed, quite a compliment indeed, thank you.

A layout by a local model railway club called 'January 68' is the layout I take inspiration from,
It's name being a moment in time, rather than a location. (See pic).

January 68 - North Fylde Model Railway Group Layout.jpg
January 68 - North Fylde Model Railway Group Layout.jpg (156.05 KiB) Viewed 3096 times

Well nothing to report today, no lights turned up again, ah well here's hoping tomorrow brings a delivery!!

Will post more pictures when they do arrive, but not sure how well the lights will show up on the pics. Worth a try.

Jim.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:23 pm

At last!!! The lights have arrived today, so the factory now has lighting.

Roof and back fitted, wiring complete and now the factory is lit.

Now I knew photographing the factory lights would be a challenge, well for me and my limited camera abilities,
so picture 2 shows the building with the main lights switched off, really just to prove there is lighting installed!!

lights ar last 002.JPG
Yes there really are lights installed
lights ar last 002.JPG (222.57 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

lights ar last 004.JPG
Still don't know what they make in this factory?
lights ar last 004.JPG (87.46 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

With normal room lights on the factory can be seen lit, but not when photographed, that's my answer and I'm sticking to it!

Now ..... What's next for me to do? Wagon kits?

Jim.
Last edited by railwayjim on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:40 pm

That lighting looks great, some well lit rooms, some with some light filtering through, just like a building with the cleaners in after hours. If they left the lights on, on a bright sunny day I wouldn't expect to see them from any further than across the road! So I don't think you should be bothered by not seeing them in a photo. Just tell em you're doing your bit for the environment.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks Bufferstop: I agree, They're very environmentally friendly.

A final picture of the factory on the layout with it's new signage and works van to complete the job.

finished factory 004.JPG
finished factory 004.JPG (165.25 KiB) Viewed 3035 times

Jim.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Well after having a stinking cold for what seems ages, "man flu" I've now got back to building another factory kit, just like the one above, recently finished,
but decided not to bore anyone describing this build as it was just the same as the last one I've already shown.

The part of the layout, this kit and a couple of others are going to go on, has been ready for re-development for a while
but I was unsure just what to do. It's an alcove in a corner of the layout, previously having a small bus depot and garage on it.

The new factory is shown roughly in position (still to be weathered) and the space next to it is going to have a smaller factory
and along the arches on the left I am putting another factory, built as low relief 30" long x 2" deep and sitting on top of the arches.

Finally I have tried a black matt background for this area as it is quite far back on the layout and I think it should look quite good behind all the factories.

I have included a few pictures to help describe what I am up to. The last picture shows the 2 other kits, yet to be started, which
although American can be made to look 60's British quite easily, I will show the build of these once I start.

Jim.
Attachments
new factories 001.JPG
new factories 001.JPG (199.61 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
new factories 002.JPG
new factories 002.JPG (227.37 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
new factories 003.JPG
new factories 003.JPG (235.68 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
new factories 004.JPG
new factories 004.JPG (195.71 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
new factories 005.JPG
new factories 005.JPG (212.72 KiB) Viewed 2867 times

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Yes Jim, make sure you do go through the builds !!
I looked on line for that first factory unit & could only find 1 left in the U.K available via Ebay.
At the time I couldn't access Paypal my browser wouldn't connect as it claimed the security
certificates were not up to date. Couldn't find in the USA either. Where did you get yours ??

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:39 pm

Geoff,
I bought the last one on ebay, probably the one you were looking at Geoff, looks like I was lucky that day!
The other kits I have bought are from www.osbornsmodels.com/
They are pretty much the only stockist of Cornerstone kits in the UK and the added bonus is they take paypal.
Jim.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:35 pm

The factory now weathered and back in position on 'Millsend'.

The building on the left is a card kit and only there temporary.

Now this one is finished, I'll be starting the low relief Mill Kit, which will be positioned on the arches to the left of the layout.

I will try and show this build as it progesses, this is a brick built structure, so a bit different to the last two I've built.

I will move over to the workbench section for the build, for anyone still awake.

Jim.
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (223.07 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
002.JPG
002.JPG (228.55 KiB) Viewed 2813 times

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:13 pm

I'm watching you like a hawk Jim,

Geoff T.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Geoff T. .... Ever had that feeling, someones watching you!!

Well the next kit has been started, thats the good news, the bad news is my camera batteries just gave up.
Only 2 pictures today, will replace the batteries in the morning as the weather outside is horrible at the moment.

The Cornerstone kit is very crisp, flash free and very comprehensive, giving extra parts to help conceal joints if
you are adding extra kits to it. I have taken a shot of the main part of the mill, using a front and back panel with one of the sides in the centre
giving a span of 31", the remaining side will be cut in half making the building 2" deep. The picture also shows the parts you get in the kit.

003.JPG
003.JPG (179.72 KiB) Viewed 2804 times

The following picture, sorry it's blurred (batteries dead) shows how I have replaced the shutter door sections
with plasticard brick. As this is meant to be the back of the mill and has little or no outside space available, plain brick is the better option.
I have also covered what was a concrete section at the base, where an unloading platform and canopy could be attached. I will save this for another project.

005.JPG
005.JPG (149.55 KiB) Viewed 2804 times

My job tonight is to give the whole building a coat of matt brown/brick. Then the sills and lintels a coat of sandstone colour in the morning then the windows a coat of white primer spray, so much easier than hand painting all those windows frames.

Should be a few better photos tomorrow showing a bit more progress.

Jim.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:42 am

Hi Jim.
Just wanted to say I'm enjoying your thread.
As a relatively new member of the forum I was looking through the threads under construction and it must have been the word 'MIDLAND' that drew me to it.
I think we may have the same railway roots. I like the way you've used the retaining walls. It forms a good demarcation between the railway and the town. The elevated position of the town gives the layout that bit of height that some layouts lack. The town streets are really realistic. The good old red brick back to backs with the back yards are ideal for restricted areas on a layout. You've got a lot going on there on the railway but it still got that uncluttered openness about it. Looks like we also have a similar taste in locos as well. Currently I'm trying to find a good reason to run a Stanier 8F or WD 8F 2-8-0 on my PETERSDALE layout. Still come back to the fact they are probably to big and heavy for a rural branch line. I'm sure I'll convince myself in time (probably when funds are available). Millsend reminds me a little of Sheffield with the retaining walls on one side of the station.
Keep up the good work Jim. The layout is looking good. I will be following the progress with interest.

Pete

PETERSDALE viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48988

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:03 pm

railwayjim wrote:I will move over to the workbench section for the build, for anyone still awake.Jim.

I think you mean enthralled / entranced. :o
Amazing work!!!
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”