Trouvé - not that far from Perdu!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Notroh

Trouvé - not that far from Perdu!

Post by Notroh »

Hi,

Having thoroughly enjoyed building Perdu Dans France, I have got a bit frustrated by watching trains just go up and down a small track. Whilst it looks great, it doesn’t fulfil all my requirements.

So I have decided to go for a new layout…..

Yes another one!

The board size is 1820mm x 760mm and will sit on a heavy duty trestle table, as it will need to move when children/friends stop over. It will be DC and all Peco 55 finescale, with all points electrically controlled by Peco PL10’s which I got as a job lot off fleabay at a great price, which will be interesting, as I have only ever used surface mounted motors before, but this should look much better.

The layout will look like this:
Trouve.jpg
Trouve.jpg (120.45 KiB) Viewed 7021 times
It is set in the mid to late sixties in a small town called Trouvé, where the branch line to Perdu starts. It is on the mainline from Paris Est to Metz, so not only will local and mainline traffic call, but the Trans Europ Express will pass through on it’s way to Metz, then on to Hamburg. Occasionally it will change from French to German Locos at Trouvé and visa versa, depending on how busy it is at Metz.

It will have SNCF Electric and Diesel loco’s and at least a couple of Autorails, plus the DB loco that ran the TEE at this time and her rolling stock. In fact all the stock I have been introducing to my Perdu layout and knowing me, even more!

The big difference, well, two big differences actually:
a) it will be a ‘roundy roundy’ with a fiddle yard hidden by a backscene and
b) it will take a lot longer to build, as I intend to strictly enforce what I have learned from building two layouts in under a year – SLOW DOWN!!

The first layout was OO and my first layout after a 45 year break from any form of modelling – and you could tell!

The second, Perdu Dans France, I was only adding to a part built layout, but the results have really pleased me and persuaded me that N, well 1:160 continental modelling is the way forward.

Trouvé will be scratch, from scratch as I enjoy the build probably as much as just running trains, although up until now I have not had a double track ‘roundy roundy’, so I think that may well change!

For those who have followed Perdu, I am sure there will be even more interesting characters residing in Trouvé and you can bet some of the residents of Perdu will visit, or pass through on their way to Metz or beyond.

So, let’s see what happens!!!

Peter
ParkeNd

Re: Trouvé - not that far from Perdu!

Post by ParkeNd »

I love it just like you show it. The length and width are wonderful and the diagonal line on the left hand side is inspired.

Taking longer over each part of it rather than a blast to the end is great too.
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

Well the baseboard is completed, complete with the canal area. I even used a 1:1 track plan for the first time - I must be getting serious!

The wood across the board shows where the back scene will be fitted.
Baseboard.jpg
Baseboard.jpg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
And the track is loosely tacked down and fully working, I have been able to run two trains at once for the first time ever - Testing the track you understand!!!!.
Track down.jpg
Track down.jpg (134.39 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
The next job is to fit the Peco point motors - when they arrive, all 11 of them, so that could take some time, then ballasting which will take even longer!!!

See you soon

Peter
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

It looks like an interesting track plan with plenty of potential. Looking forward to the progress.
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

Looks brilliant Peter.

Before it passes the point of no return did you know that you can get spare sleepers to fill those gaps. Peco SL-308F with 24 additional wood sleepers. £1.00 per pack Hattons.
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

ParkeNd wrote:Looks brilliant Peter.

Before it passes the point of no return did you know that you can get spare sleepers to fill those gaps. Peco SL-308F with 24 additional wood sleepers. £1.00 per pack Hattons.
ParkeNd

Already in the drawer

Can't put them on until I fit the point motors

Which haven't arrived yet so will pick all that up when I return from another Adnams based weekend!

Peter
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

Hi Notroh,
I followed your Perdu thread and am glad to see its successor is already started (btw, is "Perdu encore une fois" next? :lol: )
I like your plan and will also follow this layout with interest. I just wondered if you had space to join the ends of your fiddle yard sidings back to the main line to make them into loops? Looks like it on the plan, but in your photo they look longer . . . ? Otherwise, when you reverse a train out of the siding, will the end of it appear briefly in the visible section on the right of the plan before it clears the point and can go forwards again?
PNP
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

PNP
Ah well you see, there is a very good reason for that, the TEE is a long train and only passes through occasionally
So the siding has to be long enough to accommodate that and the SNCF loco that pulls it in and the DBS loco that pulls it out

I have just decided to make life difficult for myself that's all!!
Peter
PinkNosedPenguin

Fair enough, I stand corrected - sorry for my lack of understanding of French train movements.
Talking of foreign railways, have you got an answer to the question I pose on my thread . . . ?
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

PNP
Absolutely no need to apologise the rational just covers the fact my original plan was not thought through well enough

Fairly normal for me!

Peter
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

I said this would be slow.

I have just started weathering the track and have fitted the extension rods to the 12 peco point motors.

Gripping eh?

Peter
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Looks great mate....track plan works a treat for me....good luck and keep the updates coming...

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
PinkNosedPenguin

Notroh wrote:Gripping eh?
I'm on the edge of my seat :lol:
Notroh

Post by Notroh »

Hi

Well I have now fitted the front 8 peco10 point motors. They are only wired to choc blocks at present as I am still not sure how or where the switching will be handled. However, they all worked – eventually.
Points small.jpg
Points small.jpg (83.3 KiB) Viewed 6724 times
The fiddle yard points I will work on once I have finished the ballasting on the layout side, which I have started.

Now foe something almost interesting - I have discovered a way to reclaim loose ballast, I got a battery powered vacuum free, when I ordered a load of stationery for the business, so having cleaned it out, now I can vac up the loose ballast and return it to the rest of the ballast and re use it!

Happy days!

More soon,

Peter
ParkeNd

Post by ParkeNd »

That's a very economical amount of wire Peter. Even with common return mine is like a semi-disciplined birds nest underneath. Nice neat work.