Another Hairy layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
hairyhandedfool

Another Hairy layout

Postby hairyhandedfool » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Okay, so this is a project I've had gradually getting some attention for a long while, and to be fair it really hasn't been that much attention. It's essentially a 12ft by 2ft layout (four 3ft sections), though the scenic area will probably just be 1ft wide.

The idea is that this is an end of branch single platform station with an old stabling point next to it. The platform line will be overhead electric, but not the yard. Off-scene a smaller branch will diverge which will probably end up being diesel only (for variety). The idea for the stabling point is that it was built to stable and provide light servicing to the diesel units that used to run down the line before the overheads were installed, but now will be used by a small company (perhaps railfreight, perhaps spot hire, I haven't really decided), and has a newer shed building erected at one end for better servicing facilities than the old shed (now demolished).

The layout will be based north east of London, possibly in the vague vicinity of Harwich and Felixstowe, which should give you an idea of what stock to expect, but I haven't decided on a name yet.

Below are two pictures to give an overview of the layout, one taken from either end.

The area of no board you can see will house a traverser (I hope) to access the sidings of the 'fiddle yard'.

The only real thing of note on the layout at the moment (aside from track and a half built shed) is a signal, but it does four amazing things....

A green aspect (though to be honest I'd have prefered a darker green) which should please all the drivers.

A red aspect, which most drivers won't like (but they have to exist).

A green aspect with a right hand 'feather' (route indicator to be official), for access to the diesel branch that we can't see.

A red aspect with subsidiary aspect (it could probably be lit a little better), for shunting from the station to the stabling point/yard.

Now I realise that the pedantic among you will note that these four things aren't exactly amazing, but when you stop to think that I actually got it to work, I think it's pretty amazing.......

Plenty of really annoying little things to do before any scenics can go in, mostly to do with track alignment between board sections, although one section of track just doesn't want to work right now, but it's all a start.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

skyblue

Re: Another Hairy layout

Postby skyblue » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:16 pm

It looks like a good start to a new layout, and the signal looks good too. Is it kit built?

I assume from the mention of a spot hire company that it will be based in the post privatisation era?

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:52 pm

Yeah, it'll be modern day, knew I'd forget to mention something....

The signal is a Train Tech kit with a Eckon route indicator and Ground signal (for the subsidiary).

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Okay, so with most of the track aligned and all of it working I set about the traverser in the middle of the sidings. It's not perfect, but for now it is good enough.....

At the moment most of the passenger stock I have is diesel, which is great for the small diesel branch, not so good the the overhead sections.....

From left to right we have a Hornby 153 in London Midland livery (one was on loan to Greater Anglia for a while), a couple of Bachmann 2-car 170s, one in Anglia Railways livery and one repainted into Greater Anglia (atleast, it's what I think they will look like), a Hornby 153 in Greater Anglia livery, a pair of Lima 156, one in National Express livery and one in Greater Anglia, and a Bachmann 3-car 170 in modified 'ONE' livery.

There's also a couple of MPVs to use every now and then....

And I've managed to secure a DB Schenker 66 from WHSmiths for a reasonable £80 thanks to a 20% off voucher.

In the absence of anything electric at the moment, I've cobbled together a short train which is not unlike the shorty mk3 set used around Norwich.

I do have a couple of 47s I can use for this train but I saw the 90 and decided it would fit in. I might repaint it at a later date, but for now it's hired in.

On the workbench right now is one of a number of units I intend to use on this layout, see if you can guess what it will be.....

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 am

Is it a Class 315?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:15 am

The class 90+short rake brings back memories of the North Berwicks, that was fun while it lasted.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:28 pm

skyblue wrote:Is it a Class 315?

Close, it's going to be a 317, a 317/6 to be exact.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:29 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:The class 90+short rake brings back memories of the North Berwicks, that was fun while it lasted.

Jim

I never got to travel on them, but I imagine they 'shifted' quite quickly!

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:51 pm

Minor update, for the 317 anyway. First tests went quite well and after a minor wiring correction (a couple of factory fitted connections on the chassis were loose) it has had a good first couple of runs, still needs a few bits and bobs though. Here it is in action (please excuse the dodgy camera work)....

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:16 pm

No progress to report on the layout, but I have started on another EMU project, converting...

....into....

It still needs some work doing at this stage. Every coach needs some work doing to it, the DMSOs need the third rail equipment removed and the minor alteration around the cab before they become a DMCO, the TSOL needs a new window adding to become a TSO (the class 360 only has one toilet apparently) and the PTSOL needs work on the pantograph to keep it down a little (it rises too high for the Dapol caternary atm).

As you can see the TSO is done and the first DMCO just needs cab glazing and interior sorting out, then the lighting can be put back together and that's two done (excepting for transfers).

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:02 pm

The 360/1 looks good. I think those units look a little odd when compared to the other Desiros which have the end gangways - did you fit a new cab front or have you just altered the old one?

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:26 pm

The front does look a little bare.

I've modified the existing one (so no going back now), I cut off the end gangway and used bits of it to make the shell rigid again, then used Milliput to get the right shape for the front and cab roof section. I think I did rather well on this one.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

mixturesweb

Postby mixturesweb » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:58 pm

That 360 looks very impressive.

ANy more pictures of it? :D
Luke
"Tickets please"

Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:22 pm

mixturesweb wrote:....

You could of waited a day and wished him a "Happy three years since posting" message :lol:

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:56 pm

mixturesweb wrote:That 360 looks very impressive.

ANy more pictures of it? :D

Well, I've had to pack it away for a house move, I'll see about getting some new shots in the next few days for you. I've got another 350 that I intended to convert too.

Dave wrote:You could of waited a day and wished him a "Happy three years since posting" message :lol:

It really doesn't feel like it's been that long! :lol: :lol:

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”