Hutchinson, MN- American HO switching yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
LukeB

Re: Hutchinson, MN- American HO switching yard

Postby LukeB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:26 am

Having painted the background with a grim January sky I've been having a fiddle with different types of snow. Having used filler to create some raised areas where the woods will be and painting them green I have experimented with several household snow substitutes recommended by games workshop forums. Of which none have been a great success- they don't stick well or dissolve into the glue, even when a very thin layer is used. I think I will have to purchase some Woodland Scenics stuff.

You'll have to excuse the loco, it's a clockwork one I ended up with when I was about 8 years old but with all that loose powder on the track I didn't want to put on the real thing.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:44 am

I've used icing sugar for snow to great effect, but it was never permanent so I never had to find out if it could be stuck down. I can't see why a bit of watery PVA glue wouldn't do the job though.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:10 am

It is one of the things I tried- however, given the nature of what it's supposed to do it dissolves into the PVA. I was going to try the war world scenics or woodland scenics stuff, or, if I can find some I can afford, Microballoons.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 am

I've just remembered what I did with it, I didn't PVA it, I sprayed it with hairspray. providing you position it right so it doesn't blow it away, if you let the particles of hairspray just float down onto the "snow" it fixes it quite well. Where you want it to look like it's half melted, just spray more hairspray on.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:20 am

I have tried that too! Small amounts of hairspray don't hold well enough to form drifts while larger amounts just melt it. I also tried filler and would be tempted to try baking powder but I think short of a polystyrene based product most things will just dissolve. As the layout has to be put away anything that doesn't stick down properly will be a problem.

The dissolved snow mixes have formed a nice "ice" base that will show through as melting spots which should be nice and effective.

Desmond84

Postby Desmond84 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Hey, really like your efforts so far, the low shots give off a great atmosphere already..

Des

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks very much Des.

Some American muscle turned up yesterday- an Emd GP 35. It runs beautifully, it is surprising how good a model you can pick up cheaply on ebay in American HO. This was about £20 and has a detailing pack to fit.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:32 am

I have been on holiday so haven't done much to the layout until we got home on Saturday.

While we were away we explored the Swanage Railway-

They had in their station shop, among the 10 items of model railway stuff, some Woodland Scenics snow for less than it was on Hattons so I've now got the right tool for the job.

We also took a ride on the South Devon Railway-

They had a Great Northern box car at a good price (on top of the rather OTT amount of N gauge stuff I bought :oops: )

So, now I have applied the right snow. It seems to work best if you apply it in the same way as ballast. I've mounded it up against the fences to represent drifts and at the side of the rails where snow ploughs have pushed away the dirty snow on the rails. I suspect that it will take a lot of cleaning to get the tracks in a working state. The clockwork loco in the photos has been in service making sure the snow hasn't got too built up around the rails. There is still a lot of glue drying so it'll be a while before a real loco runs on it again.

I've also installed the Scenescapes trees I bought before the project was started. Hopefully they are tall enough (scale 55-80 feet) for ParkeNd!

I've decided this will be my first project with lighting. I've got some LEDs on order from Express Models and will see how this goes.

And one that Google Plus has beggared about with-

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:37 pm

After many hours cleaning track, removing tall snow banks and so on the locos are now running. They look a bit incongruous together.

My wife insisted that I put piles of shovelled snow around the yard so they are going on today along with the piles of kit found at yards like this.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:01 pm

[wavering voice] I remember the winter of '62-'63, you know...! [/voice]

But not '46-'47

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Now I'm getting somewhere. The snow banks are drying, the yard detritus is down with its own snow cover drying. I've also installed the lighting- after all, it is around December time and it's dark from 3.30pm!

It's getting to the stage where I'll turn a real camera on it instead of the phone and get some proper quality shots.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Emettman wrote:[wavering voice] I remember the winter of '62-'63, you know...! [/voice]

But not '46-'47

Chris

Don't remind me. I remember both! BRRRRR!!!!

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Emettman wrote:[wavering voice] I remember the winter of '62-'63, you know...! [/voice]

But not '46-'47

Chris

Don't remind me. I remember both! BRRRRR!!!!

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:40 am

I've added a bit more detail to the layout but crucially my American vehicles have arrived from the inlaws- it was surprisingly difficult to get hold of American HO vehicles from this period (mid 70's). Most were unusual sports cars rather than day to day stuff and I had to resort to the depths of eBay to find what I needed.

I've decided that I'm going to, for now, stick with this being a Great Northern depot in a rural outpost (about 4 hours from Minneapolis) where the local track maintenance team are based with two high rail pick ups (the light blue one is a Bachmann one which does run on the rails, just. Both need the appropriate liveries putting on). The snowplough is based there and they conduct repairs to rolling stock which have been damaged and are waiting at Darwin to the north west (home of the world's largest ball of twine made by one man, and a delightful little museum. And not much else other than the railroad- the length of the train rolling through when we were there hauled by 5 locos was incredible).

They use whichever powerful loco they can get their hands on for snowplough duties, usually whatever is the most run down and available from Minneapolis which at the moment is this EMD GP35. They have also very kindly got a delivery from Emettman in the form of a little yellow switcher which is remote control- as soon as I've got batteries for this I'll put up some photos!

I'll add people (not many) in the coming weeks but my budget for this has substantially run out and it's getting wintery so I'll be starting on my next layout shortly. I have most of the stuff I need for that and this and my other layout are providing entertainment in the meantime.

Last edited by LukeB on Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:33 pm

With all that sun, I can just hear the plaintive cry :

"I'm melting!!"

Tee Hee

Great work though!

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”