Hutchinson, MN- American HO switching yard

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
LukeB

Hutchinson, MN- American HO switching yard

Postby LukeB » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:17 pm

We have recently moved house and the big OO layout I was building will no longer fit. I have kept my small N gauge layout and am gathering bits to build a larger one in my loft.

However, there are some OO and HO pieces that I have been given and have too much sentimental value to get rid of, most notably two North Yorkshire Moors Railway wagons purchased on trips to Whitby by my wife for our honeymoon and anniversary and an American Great Northern railroad working rotary snowplough given to me by my grandfather in law. He was very big into the hobby but is now in his 70s with diabetes so severe he cannot control his old models.

I thought it would be a shame for these gifts to go unused so I have kept a couple of OO locos and am purchasing a Great Northern switcher and have a couple of other wagons. I have decided to have a crack at a shunting layout which will be generic enough to loosely stand in for the NYMR yard at Grosmont but also, with a switch of any vehicles, an imaginary depot at Hutchinson in Minnesota where my wife's family is from.

To provide some justification for the snowplough the scene will be snowy, which I thought would feel strange to build in August but as it is about 15 degrees outside it seems chilly enough to get cracking! The layout will live inside the house but is small enough to hide and bring out when desired. The plan is to have a two road shed at the rear of the scene and a yard for service vehicles in the foreground.

The track is salvaged from my old layout and I would be amazed if it worked even after a good cklean and the old ballast is removed but I will see how it goes- I can't afford new track at the moment.

The hope is to build on what I have learnt in the previous layouts and practice on a small layout before getting stuck into my proposed n gauge loft layout. I have only seen one US based layout on here so hopefully it will be something a little different.

Emettman

Re: Hutchinson, MN- American HO switching yard

Postby Emettman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:34 pm

What length are you aiming at, and is that a baseboard/box under construction?

I'm just starting on an inglenook shunting layout and I've been able to get a second-hand flight case cheaply, which will do baseboard, protection and dust-proofing in one.

A used bass guitar hard case was another option giving up to 4ft long, but with less depth, so thoughts there of fold-up buildings, or trees lifting and dropping like Thunderbird 2's launch pad...

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:03 pm

The overall length including a small fiddle yard will be 3 feet and 1 foot deep. That is the board and box under construction- it is a piece of leftover furniture board from a project and the remains of a desk left rotting at the back of the garage by the former residents. The sides are as much to hide the background as offer protection when dragging it out, although it doesn't have to go far, only a couple of yards.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:50 pm

That's pretty much the size I'm thinking of, but I'm aiming at it being "portable to exhibition" in the hope that one day I'll be fit enough to take it!
(I've been housebound for almost three years. I miss both going and showing.)

Yes, found materials have got to come cheaper than buying in!

I'll be using shunters geared to very low speed only, with battery power and radio control to avoid the need for good rail contact.
My own quirky way, and rather an experiment.

But snow, and a layout capable of changing nationality... now that's definitely going to have its own marked character.

Chris.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:10 pm

After a weekend of cancelled plans I've actually spent quite a bit of time on this that I wasn't expecting to. One thing I did learn from previous layouts is that rushing things makes them look sloppy so really took my time with stuff.

I've tested the track and it works nicely now I've replaced some of the track with other bits I found. I've not got my American EMD GP35 yet so the LNER N2 4744 (which in my imaginary "Grosland" scene has been loaned to the NYMR by the Great Central Railway) has been used. It seems to run quite nicely and there's enough room for a variety of shunting manoeuvres.

I have laid some ballast. I doubt much of this will actually be visible once the snow is down but I thought it'd be worth laying down to add a bit of texture.

I have finally started construction of the engine shed which has been painted. I'm currently installing the windows and doors (which is a faff because the grooves for the openings and hope to finish this one evening this week. I was thinking of trimming the length of it down but the size it is will hold an entire carriage nicely.

Today I've been designing the signs which I will swap around to define which scene is which.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Luke B Looks like your layout is taking shape.

Just one thing; you have a sign Grosland Shed. Is that intentional? as Grosmont is on the NYMR.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:19 pm

It is intentional- as the layout doesn't really look like the actual Grosmont I've invented an imaginary service depot for repairing rolling stock between Grosmont and Goathland. Mixing the two together gave me Grosland.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:33 pm

LukeB wrote:It is intentional- as the layout doesn't really look like the actual Grosmont I've invented an imaginary service depot for repairing rolling stock between Grosmont and Goathland. Mixing the two together gave me Grosland.

That's okay then. Didn't want you making a fatal error! :roll:

Love the signage as well

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Looks good so far :) The tracks being on a diagonal adds some interest to the scene. Little yard layouts like this are a good way to get started in a new scale or region and good fun to operate too.

I'll be interested to see how the radio control works out. It's quite common in garden railways do avoid issues with track cleanliness, but isn't really that well known in smaller scales.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:40 pm

pete12345 wrote:
I'll be interested to see how the radio control works out. It's quite common in garden railways do avoid issues with track cleanliness, but isn't really that well known in smaller scales.

Err, that was me, and how it is working out can be found over in
"Coke Can Shunter: proof of concept" in "Kit Building"
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45974

It's worked out well enough that I'm starting an inglenook for them to play on, and I have one out on loan for "evaluation".
Possible cheap relief for anyone who is fed up trying to shunt with jackrabbit small Hornby locos.

This thread is LukeB's yard/shunting layout...
And I know that because just for a start I can't do graphics like he has just produced!

Chris

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:09 am

An hour and a half of my life spent in MS Paint for those!

Mine will not be remote controlled- I've got a cheap Hornby controller which will do the job for this.

Got the engine shed built. It took a lot longer than you would think for such a simple construction- almost all the holes for the windows and doors were too small and so a lot of filing after the initial cutting was needed. I spent around 5 hours on this excluding painting. Again, I took my time with it compared to my previous modelling and the result is much nicer.

garth45

Postby garth45 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:37 am

Looking good.

As a former modern scene US modeller try and keep it as a Short Line either real or Freelance .This will enable you to keep your trains small as once you start involving the "Big Players" trains get bigger and bigger .I found out quite quickly that even with all the space available in a loft , operating multi lash up trains was going to be difficult.

Good luck :)

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:00 pm

When you refer to a short line do you mean a small operator (the total opposite of Great Northern!)?

I am fairly bound to GN due to the stock I've been given. I'm working on the idea of a small back country repair and service depot in order to keep a little bit of realism to it. The loco I have ordered (a road switcher I am imagining to have been sent to the depot for repairs that is being used by the depot until it is asked for elsewhere) isn't quite right but keeps the spend much lower than an appropriate EMD SW1 switcher.

garth45

Postby garth45 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Yes . They sometimes don't own any rolling stock but just use other rail roads stock . Their trains tend to be much more akin to ours in size. Their locomotives tend to be cast offs from the bigger companies and may even operate in their original colours complete in some cases with their former owners logos. Montana Rail Link or MRL is one such operator in your chosen vicinity.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm

That is very useful, thanks very much. I'm trying to build this as a surprise for my grandfather in law so haven't been consulting him about it.

I am restricted to Minnesota, and more specifically the area 1 hour west of Minneapolis. Does the Minnesota Transfer Railway or Minneapolis Northfield and Southern sound suitable? Again, the setting would still be a small service yard for stock in need of repair and to store the snowplough.

Looks like I may have to track down an SW1500 switcher in the end anyway!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”