Ben's new layout venture.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
trainsandco

Ben's new layout venture.

Post by trainsandco »

Well Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening one and all (depending when you read this)

After moving out from under the roof of my parents a few months ago and basically being layout-less (the horror!) for that time, I've finally got my rear into gear and am building myself a new layout. Now to those of you who have seen my layout in the past you'll probably be aware that I have gotten used to quite a large set out (See Mumford for example) but now, I have drastically downsized to this;

As you can see it's a bit smaller and simpler than my previous endeavour.

The plan is to create a station with 3 Platforms (Up, Down and Bay) which then leads off onto a long embankment and bridge before heading into a cutting and tunnel. Should be easy right? Well one thing that'll make it a lot easier is the lack of electronic, yep, this is just going to be purely a large - static - photographic scene, which for me will be fine, as it'll give me a chance to work on my other hobbies - photography/film making.

But today I hit it, and I went for it...ish.

I made new platforms, nailed the track, painted the track and started to ballast - which is yet to be held in place - on the Station board - I'm yet to get the wood which I'll build the raised track upon (got the board though :p ) - way too many dashes in this paragraph.

I intend to continue making headway tomorrow (with the current resource I have - many recycled from my previous layout) and with my new shift pattern, this should hopefully fly by (famous last words)

Cheers for now

Ben.
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
Dad-1

Re: Ben's new layout venture.

Post by Dad-1 »

Welcome back Ben, been quiet for a while !!
Ha Ha, now it's your roof you're going to have to be more, err, compact !!

Geoff T.
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

Are you sure don't want to include just a couple of wires for when that overwhelming urge to run some trains takes over?

Just a thought, good progress so far.
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

Long time, no update, and there is not much to update really, (I would like to say it's because I've been busy, but it's not, it's because I've been lazy)

I've ballasted a little bit more, and bought a model of 'Joem'. But that's about it.

Oh, I've come up with a name;

Waynchore

Because I'm mature like that.

Ben

81D & 55A
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Nice to see you back in (some sort of) action Ben. I go along with doubleojon, put the wires in and the IRJs, you never know when the possibility of incorporating it into something bigger might come along. If you wire it now, it will drop in just fine. There's a lot to be said for building small dioramas as working layouts, come the new loft you can join them up for a very quick layout.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

Remember me? I'm the person that's supposed to update this.

Well irony struck. And it struck good;
trainsandco wrote:and with my new shift pattern, this should hopefully fly by (famous last words)
Well, let's have a look what I've done in the past year since I last update this;

Yeah. Best part of bugger all!

Well a few things have happened;
-moved house again and got a smaller room to use - great.
-potential promotion & tasty pay rise (I can afford things other than rent, bills and food again!)
-joined a model railway club (This is a biggy, the main reason why I sort of stopped modelling was due to lack of motivation as I couldn't see any of my trains properly running - only a certain amount of entertainment from running an engine 2 meters on a straight piece of track - also in this period of low motivation I may have thinned out my locos :oops: but now I should hopefully have plenty of encouragement, maybe)

So what am I going to do next? Extend further? Knock through walls to create a bigger loop? Nope. I'm going to rip up the track and ballast. Position another board next to the current one, buy some nice new track (eyes on SMP) and re-lay it all. And in doing so I hope to remove a mistake I made last time, I put the cross over on the wrong side of the bay platform switch!

Also, the eagle eyed those of you may have noticed this in the above pictures;

A slightly modified Britannia. Why? Because it was mine and I could. (I did have some spare time aswell :lol: )

Cheers

Ben

81D & 55A
Michaelaface

Post by Michaelaface »

this one isnt going to catch fire as well is it?
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

trainsandco wrote:Remember me? I'm the person that's supposed to update this.

Well irony struck. And it struck good;
trainsandco wrote:and with my new shift pattern, this should hopefully fly by (famous last words)
Well, let's have a look what I've done in the past year since I last update this;

Yeah. Best part of bugger all!

Well a few things have happened;
-moved house again and got a smaller room to use - great.
-potential promotion & tasty pay rise (I can afford things other than rent, bills and food again!)
-joined a model railway club (This is a biggy, the main reason why I sort of stopped modelling was due to lack of motivation as I couldn't see any of my trains properly running - only a certain amount of entertainment from running an engine 2 meters on a straight piece of track - also in this period of low motivation I may have thinned out my locos :oops: but now I should hopefully have plenty of encouragement, maybe)

So what am I going to do next? Extend further? Knock through walls to create a bigger loop? Nope. I'm going to rip up the track and ballast. Position another board next to the current one, buy some nice new track (eyes on SMP) and re-lay it all. And in doing so I hope to remove a mistake I made last time, I put the cross over on the wrong side of the bay platform switch!

Also, the eagle eyed those of you may have noticed this in the above pictures;

A slightly modified Britannia. Why? Because it was mine and I could. (I did have some spare time aswell :lol: )

Cheers

Ben

You have got the cab colour wrong - it should be yellow too :)

Well it is on this 9F... http://www.fictitiousliveries.co.uk/pho ... 9F_rfg.jpg

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

trainsandco wrote:
Nope. I'm going to rip up the track and ballast. Position another board next to the current one, buy some nice new track (eyes on SMP) and re-lay it all.

Cheers

Ben
If you go for SMP I’m sure you won’t regret it. I’ve found it easier to shape into curves than Peco Code 75, and it certainly looks better (to my eyes at least!).

Whilst SMP rail joiners are less noticeable than Peco Code 75 joiners, I found them less user-friendly than the Peco ones, resulting in almost exclusive use of Peco joiners. (Don't know if SMP joiners have changed over the years?)

Will you be using SMP points or Peco? If the latter then, (depending on your method of track-laying), you will find the greater Peco sleeper height may require card to be packed under the SMP track at joins with Peco points.