Thomas Visits Bride Bay

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: Thomas Visits Bride Bay

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Showing the hobby at work for the sake of the general public is something that's not done often enough, but it can require a slightly different kind of layout. Your Thomas layouts get the young audience, and more than likely a few much older big kids. Ones that represent somewhere local usually pull a lot of interest. A model of the long gone Harborne branch in Birmingham got a lot of interest from those who remembered it and those who only knew the disused viaduct in the Chad Valley. The flight of steps coming down from an adjacent street was recognisable to many as the ones that went down to the row of garages behind the houses in that street. One of the first "domestic sized" layouts I saw was at a hobbies fair at Walsall Town Hall in the early '50s. I got a good reaction when I opened up the doors to my layout during an open gardens event organised by our residents committee. Someone with a layout in a shed or garage could do similar. (I doubt many people have a layout in a room with doors directly into the garden.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Dad-1 wrote:This was our 25th exhibition/showing of this Thomas layout since we first launched it on the local Dorset scene at the end of May 2015.

We have a Club layout that cost thousands in materials not to mention the labour costs... In ten years it has been to two shows and only comes out on Club nights a few times per year...

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm

MMMMmmmm Naughty, but bumped this up, was in danger of getting lost !
Now done 32 showings, the July exhibition will be No.33.
We get more fun from this per £ spent from this than anything else we've ever made.

Won't quite hit 40 outings by year end.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Well worth the bump Dad-1. I spent somd good time reading through this thread. And as for getting people interested in the hobby it shows a multitude of scenic displays which ,as with everything you achieve, are modelled to a brilliant standard. Its a great railway layout.
Josh

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”