Thomas Visits Bride Bay

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Thomas Visits Bride Bay

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:40 pm

I don't know if it's going to be worth posting more pictures as any changes will be minimal. Things like platform seats,
staging for the two beach huts, painting & securing staging under the three huts. White line along platform edges, oh
so many little odds & ends.
Today is the first fitting of the fully grassed cliff road & being near completion has had a photo session.

O.K back to masking the platform edges for white painting !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Great shots Geoff, I love the smugglers tunnel between the station and the beach!!

:)

Peter
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Seconded :) The rocky bay has come out really well. I like the whole layout, but the beach side is my favourite :)

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Superb work Geoff, such an atmospheric little layout. I love the beach cove in particular. If this is drawing close to completion have you any thoughts on what's next?

Paul

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:00 pm

A lovely little layout Geoff. The beach looks realy good.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:56 pm

Thank for the comments guys,

I've now finished both sets of hut staging & started painting a brownish colour that
will now have a grey wash all over before securing on the beach. Each hut has it's
own matching colour plastic peg to hold in place, allowing for other layout uses
if wanted in the future. I do like all buildings to be lift off, never know when you
can use again.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:53 pm

A super sunny day gave me a chance to do a few odd jobs that are still outstanding.
But sorry, Thomas & friends are not here today, just a GWR pannier tank taking a few
china clay empties back to dries somewhere ........

https://youtu.be/YBmE9URARUs

I repainted all the bridge the required shade of grey & added some sand around rabbit
holes on a burnt section of embankment. None of which is shown !!
This will have it's first low-key public running at the Bridport & District 'Open Day' at
Askerswell village hall on 31st May. More than enough minor tidy up jobs to keep me busy.

Geoff T.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:57 pm

If I'm free that day Geoff I might pop along to say hi and have a nose. :) The better half enjoys Bridport market on a Saturday so it shouldn't be a hard one to sell.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:07 am

Proves my point about your consistent quality :)
Change the stock on your "children's" layout and its a top notch "serious" layout. I bet it will go down a treat at the show, weather its in GWR or Thomas mode :wink:
Well done.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:56 am

Thanks JohnN & THE CHIEF,

Off to the caravan until Tuesday, no regular internet from there so I shall probably vanish until then.

JohnN, Errr Saturday is great for Bridport market & I shall be there BECAUSE the Bridport Club open
day is on the Sunday !! Dumping your wife in Bridport on a Sunday may not be popular !!

Geoff T.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:06 am

Oops, got my days wrong then. I never dump her anyway, never a good move. :lol:

She's quite keen on the exhibitions in moderate doses. We once went to the New Forest exhibition, at her request, where she went away and made a load of N scale bunting for the local club before coming back the next day to give it to them.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:02 pm

This Thomas layout has sat in my shed for the last month with no activity, however it's first public showing
will be on 31st of May and we were not unduly happy about placing it on a couple of tables. One reason being
that frequently hall tables sit a differing heights, not ideal for a flat layout. Another is that it slides so easily
along tables when any pressure is applied from the front. Usually I had requested a slot backing onto a wall so
there was nowhere for the layout to move, but the coming outing is simply a club 'Open Day' at the Bridport Club's
home of Askerswell Village Hall and backing onto a wall would be difficult.

I've been thinking about ways of providing a supporting structure that would take the minimum of storage and
transport space, but be secure enough. I decided on 2 mm steel corners that hold 45 mm Sq legs, the centre line
being a hinged joint has to work with just a flat plate holding the legs, I calculated that 2 mm steel should be
enough. These steel sections cost me £30 and today the final drilling and mounting of legs. Seems fine and I can
almost attach single handed, but we expect to have two in attendance for any exhibitions.

Here a corner leg, being the first 'test'.

Work in progress.

All tight.

The structure seems very solid. All weight is taken on the leg top's, fixings to secure into place rather than take load. I'm quite
pleased with the results, well worth the £50 or thereabouts it's cost in metalwork, wood & fixings.

Geoff T.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Wed May 13, 2015 1:49 pm

Geoff,

how does in now fold up?

Peter
French N, too much fun!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:25 pm

Errr ... We take all the legs off.
Legs held to basic outer framework with 'blind' furniture inserts and 1" .... or 25 mm screws.
Layout folds & a bag of legs & we're happy.

Geoff T.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Wed May 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Geoff,

I wonder if bolts where the legs join the frame of the layout might be better long term?

Won't constant fitting and removal of screws eventually enlargen the screw hole and weaken the structure, plus make it wobble?

Just a thought...

Peter
French N, too much fun!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”