Thomas Visits Bride Bay

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bufferstop

Re: Thomas Visits Bride Bay

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Showing the hobby at work for the sake of the general public is something that's not done often enough, but it can require a slightly different kind of layout. Your Thomas layouts get the young audience, and more than likely a few much older big kids. Ones that represent somewhere local usually pull a lot of interest. A model of the long gone Harborne branch in Birmingham got a lot of interest from those who remembered it and those who only knew the disused viaduct in the Chad Valley. The flight of steps coming down from an adjacent street was recognisable to many as the ones that went down to the row of garages behind the houses in that street. One of the first "domestic sized" layouts I saw was at a hobbies fair at Walsall Town Hall in the early '50s. I got a good reaction when I opened up the doors to my layout during an open gardens event organised by our residents committee. Someone with a layout in a shed or garage could do similar. (I doubt many people have a layout in a room with doors directly into the garden.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dave

Postby Dave » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Dad-1 wrote:This was our 25th exhibition/showing of this Thomas layout since we first launched it on the local Dorset scene at the end of May 2015.

We have a Club layout that cost thousands in materials not to mention the labour costs... In ten years it has been to two shows and only comes out on Club nights a few times per year...

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm

MMMMmmmm Naughty, but bumped this up, was in danger of getting lost !
Now done 32 showings, the July exhibition will be No.33.
We get more fun from this per £ spent from this than anything else we've ever made.

Won't quite hit 40 outings by year end.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:22 pm

Well worth the bump Dad-1. I spent somd good time reading through this thread. And as for getting people interested in the hobby it shows a multitude of scenic displays which ,as with everything you achieve, are modelled to a brilliant standard. Its a great railway layout.
Josh

Sparkster

Postby Sparkster » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi Dad-1,

I read both your folding Thomas threads last night - brilliant!

I'm looking to create a model railway for my son, 4 and a half (as he tells me). I have younger children - but not quite at the age yet!!

I had considered creating a folding layout - but in effect making the 'box section' deeper - which might allow me to run an elevated section, possibly including a bridge, however, looking at the intricacies of inclines - roughly 1400mm to rise the desired 80/90mm - so that is on the back burner for now! Although not inexperienced in woodworking - I've not built a model railway of any great substance for at least 25 years (and me ol' dad did most of the work there!) but Its something I'm really considering.

Our house is just big enough for us - and we're hoping to convert the loft next year - which might give me a small hobby room - but I doubt it, as Mrs Sparkster has her eyes set on a walk in wardrobe and a big bath!

With that in mind, I'm contemplating this build as a stop gap - but it may remain something of a more permanent setup.

My plan is to mount casters on the base to enable it to be rolled around and then manufacture some folding legs with adjustable feet which will allow it to be raised up to the appropriate height. In warmer weather (as current!) I'd like to be able to put it on some old saw horses outside - which I think would be a nice way of enjoying it!

I've not managed a sketchup diagram as yet - but I'm envisioning a deep box...

Am I being unrealistic?

If i suitably secured scenery - do you think it would withstand being moved around - or should I be thinking simpler!?

Love the work!

Tom

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:53 am

Hi Tom,

First thanks for the compliments.

Whatever you do it's always full of compromises. You say about deeper section sides, but with that comes additional weight
as well as increased storage requirements. Lighter sides can be made, but then not strong enough for secure leg fixing, which
you'll need even more if you try to fit castors.
I'd certainly have preferred fixed scenery, but that would increase the depth of a folded layout so much, as well as needing all
scenery to be heavily secured to withstand being bumped around when on it's side.
Our compromise is to have a stock box into which all the buildings, people, stock, track rubber, cloth skirting is packed. It's
also strong enough for mall children to stand on, or even us sitting on it !! It has a lift out shelf giving double depth storage.
Because all the electrics are used with other layouts we just pack into a convenient sized cardboard box, seen here sitting on
the layout.

Always best to keep as simple as you can, particularly if younger children are to use, and that IS the point, to play not watch.

Here it is in my shed ready for the van to collect at lunch time.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Sparkster

Postby Sparkster » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:22 am

Hi Geoff!

Thanks for your reply!

I think, on reflection it might be a bit much to include the scenic aspects. So like you, I think the best idea is to leave them separate. Perhaps I could make anchor points for buildings and whatnot!

I’m hoping to make a start. And would like the boxes and track completed before Christmas! (Not forgetting the two alcove cupboards I’ve promised to finish for the boss!)

I’ll keep browsing the forums and hopefully make a build log when I start!

Tom

NedFlanders

Postby NedFlanders » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:44 pm

Absolutely brilliant!

Everything about this is wonderful, I hope one day i have the skill set to do something similar. :idea:

If I had a hat i would doff it to you sir.

Ned.
Getting back into railways, one step at a time.
Ned's Workbench - https://tinyurl.com/y4jby73c
The UppydownyRoundyRoundyRailway - https://tinyurl.com/y6stelsr

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:15 am

A lovely layout for 'the kid in us'.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”