A bit of progress.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:44 am

Nice one. A present from mummy when she wants to spoil her 'little darlings' methinks :roll:
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Andrew Morrow

Postby Andrew Morrow » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:35 pm

BrianT wrote:Steve they are well worth the money. The only one that disappointed was the 'Railway Arches' I just couldn't get it right. Then I saw Townstreet at an exhibition and their example made mine look......good.

The engine shed is great. From memory it's only about seven pieces, plus the brass etching for the windows.

Whoops, not supposed to look at the S.R. layout in the winter. :wink:

Brian.

is this ready painted or did u do it?

BrianT

Postby BrianT » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:07 pm

All my own work

This mornings little effort.

Brian.

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:03 pm

I love the engine shed and hut Brian, they look very realistic, you really are a great modeller.

Neil

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Well this is just ridiculously high quality modelling, just brilliant, love the little touches of grass near the sleepers and the colour of the rails....perfect.

At least I can say I witnessed genius today.....

Nice work,

Gavin.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

BrianT

Postby BrianT » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:18 pm

Sorry guys I just cannot agree with your views. Yes it is very flattering but quite undeserved. I am 66 years old, the hands are a bit shaky and the eye sight is b.....d. Even with vario focal length glasses I can't read a rule

If I have anything going for me it is an extremely good visual memory and the ability to look. The little hut was the result of about half an hours work, the secret if there is one, is window dressing. I also have very high standards and the cussedness to keep trying....I will not tolerate something that isn't the best I can achieve. My Wheelie Bin is always full. If in doubt throw it out.

People who remember me from last year will recall when I modified my layout with a shovel.

Todays Wheelie Bin contents....actually nothing wrong with them but I have changed the layout and they don't fit in.

So if asked for advice it would be that people who want to improve their modelling should just raise their standards and not settle for anything that they think could be improved upon.

Sorry for the lecture, but it is intended to help.

Brian

Ijdagger

Postby Ijdagger » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:10 pm

it may be an idea brian, to offer them to some of the guys on here, or possibly ebay.

They are to a very high standard and could help someone out.

understandable if you dont want to do that, but to see them in the wheelie bin is sadding to see.

it wheelie shouldnt be aloud

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:31 pm

i reckon its so you can say 'i've thrown away better than you can model mate!' :D
lovely work though. makes me want to buy a bundle of balsa wood and palsticard
michael

BrianT

Postby BrianT » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:31 pm

All I am trying to do is prove to people that it isn't rocket science to produce realistic scratchbuilt buildings to a reasonable standard. Heavens, if I can so can anyone else.

Brian.

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:30 am

Brian

I love your work, photos are great, the detail is superb!! I'd buy your creations off of you in the future, so don't go just throwing them in the bin, thay are too valuable for that, the time and care you have taken in making them, they deserve a place on a layout, even if it is not your own.

Keep up the good work :D

Regards

mycerbera

BrianT

Postby BrianT » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Very nice of you to say so Mycerebra. Only I think once money comes in the window hobbies and the pleasure fly out. So you have to give them away and being a perfectionist I would only give one away that had achieved that state. Unfortunately I don't think I shall achieve that in a hurry.

MyV8S

P.S. Which Cerebra have you got? My mate had one for a while. I always thought the interior looked like a French tarts boudoir. The V8s makes a much better noise., no wretched cat :) In fact after six years of ownership the noise just became a pain, hence chopped it back into HCC in Harrogate last year for something more sensible ( the V8s, 29,000 miles from new!!)
Last edited by BrianT on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

davek

Postby davek » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Wow. Love that TVR!

Tazskool

Postby Tazskool » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Brian,

Recycle... dont throw it.. post it all to me lol..
after all I have built nearly all my baseboarding and flooring out of recycled materials ;)

I feel like a real hippy.. must be my age catching up with me..

Also to agree with Michael... you throw out better stuff than most of us can do lol..

but I do respect the fact you are a perfectionist

Mike

rmg1919

Postby rmg1919 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:59 am

BrianT wrote:So if asked for advice it would be that people who want to improve their modelling should just raise their standards and not settle for anything that they think could be improved upon.

I think you're right. I recently tried improving the lighting on my Heljan 57 and after several hours of hard work came up with something... only it just didn't look as good as I had hoped. I had the choice of either settling for what I'd managed, or starting from scratch. So, I started over.

After a few more hours I still wasn't happy... and started over again.

Anyway, by the end of the weekend I'd got it pretty much spot on. Hard work, very frustrating at times too, but the end result makes me really pretty damn happy.

The problem, of course, is that I'm now not happy with lots of other things about the layout!! So... I figure I've pretty much guaranteed that my layout will never get finished... ;-) But, hey, that's why it's so much fun!

BrianT

Postby BrianT » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:34 am

It does look nice Dave. But it was big, loud, expensive to run and prone for bits dropping off. According to my wife, just like it's owner. Trouble is from the V8S with the exception of the 'Griff' TVR have just been a load of badly built gimmicks. Seems the market have turned their back on them at last.

In my book there is nothing wrong in being a perfectionist. Last night I realised that a puddle was required under the yet to be built water tower. So a few minutes to excavate the site ( A 1" thick topping of insulation board helps) a piece of painted card covered with Perspex, DAZ to form the edges, paint and a squirt of static grass....lovely, sort of little detail I love. Get the Stanley knife and STRAIGHT THROUGH THE MAIN SUPPLY. :cry: :cry: The supply that I had buried fully confident that access would never be needed.And one end was only just visible underneath a glued down and fully ballasted track. And of course the computer table with printers and scanners etc means that it can only be reached at a stretch. PERFECTIONIST? I've S..T em.

Brian.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”