Exeter St Davids OO

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bootneckbob

Exeter St Davids OO

Post by bootneckbob »

Hello,
this is now starting to come to life. Its been through so many different planning stages over the last 2 and a bit years; they are in the layouts in planning section for those who care to look.
The shed that this layout is been built in is 9.75 meters long by 1.1 meters wide, that's right, 1.1 wide. The layout it's self is between .5 to .7 wide; so no room for a fat controller!

The fiddle yard is on the lower section and is reached by 2 helix's at both ends. The scenic St Davids will be on the top (obviously). Due to the space I've taken the liberty of moving the traction yard from its position in the south by Exeter panel signal box to where the new yard is in the north. The boards in the top pic are just in a loose position so I could get a feel of the actual height they will be and my available space in there.

There's also a potential break out on the layout to exploit a run out in to the garden in due course, 2020 probably the way I'm going :D

Sorry its not much more than some random shed pictures at the mo, but in time this might serve to be the record of the build, (hopefully).
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (31.98 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (32.13 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (31.75 KiB) Viewed 8801 times
andrewk

Re: Exeter St Davids OO

Post by andrewk »

I'd be interested to see photos of the finished result. Shunting at Exeter St. Davids sidings kept me awake many years ago as my University Halls of Residence backed on to the sidings. I cursed them at the time...
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

I guess you weren't drinking enough then!
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

The track plan is in the link, its the last, very thin one.
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 9&start=15
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Got quite a bit further in the last few weeks. Lower baseboards are in place and painted (waterproofed) as the shed had had a couple of small leaks over the last 6 months. Pretty sure its all sorted now although I know its a constant upkeep now.

I have laid the track (point work) to see where its all going. Also I need another 9 points as this build is slightly larger than the one I started at the old house.

I've just been working out some costs, not sure I should publish them really :shock: I'm working on each point costing £26, that's the point, DCC module and motor. I have 43 on the lower level; and 35 on the top. Plus 150m of track, excluding the two helix.

Always knew it was/is an expensive hobby!
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (13.53 KiB) Viewed 8583 times
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Here is the photo of the baseboard/s. It's very hard to get a picture due to the layout being 10m long by 1m wide.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (26.2 KiB) Viewed 8574 times
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Looking good there, can't wait for it to develop.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

That sounds like a half reasonable length, although it'll need driving on the hoof.
Is this the new healthy idea, walk several miles while running trains up & down ?
I think I'm going to like this !!

Geoff T.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Thanks. No I'm not planning on walking up and down, although I was thinking of having two vantage points to control things from. I wish I could just put pics up of it finished but as you all know these things take time, oh and money!
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Hello, I spent quite a few hours in the shed yesterday (I must say my wife has been very nice to me) getting to grips with with my reverse loop. Its very complicated, at least to me anyway, and I will get some pics up later, but it was discussed in my planning thread for this layout.
I have to say, those Hornby reverse loop modules are simplicity itself to use. I had to mess around a bit after I proved the theory but I think I've got it now. There are 4 points within my loop hence the problem(s).

Well, breakfast and coffee over, time to get on!
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

First tracks been laid. Result!
Attachments
photo (12).JPG
photo (12).JPG (12.67 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Spent a bit more time and got the majority of the fiddle yard done, just the 12 sidings to add and start on the helix's!
Attachments
photo (13).JPG
photo (13).JPG (98.95 KiB) Viewed 8316 times
dubbleojon

Post by dubbleojon »

Impressive fiddle yard. Look forward to seeing this develop.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Cor, I like that sidings section.
Cost a fortune to fill it though.

Geoff T.
bootneckbob

Post by bootneckbob »

Hi, thanks for the comments. Filling it won't be a problem as I've pretty much bought all the rolling stock already over the last 4 years whilst this has been in planning!

Fitting and buying the extra motors and decoders will cost a fortune though. This Fiddle Yard can house everything I've got (with 3 spare sidings) with fully made up rakes of 7-8 coaches which although not prototypical it's pretty good for a home oo layout I think.
I need to get on with some work in the house and hopefully get started on the northern helix later.