we're back!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:11 pm

hi
so much of this looks good, but my eye was taken by the back drops, i'm sure you said you painted them yourself, great stuff. any tips for the cloud scapes?
michael

Mr P

Postby Mr P » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:26 pm

Patience is the key! Painted the whole thing with a blend of dark and light blue emulsion with a mini roller first. then whilst still wet (the paint, not me!) using a fan paint brush stippled the cloud shapes using a really pale blue (almost white) gradually blending it in. I have been painting all my life in acrylics and oils so have had plenty of practice at skies but the key is patience really. As you are working with wet paint at all times it is easy to rectify mistakes blending it back and forth until you are happy. :lol:

as i constantly tell my son,
:idea: If at first you don't succeed give up!! But have another try tomorrow with a fresh mind! (no point in carrying on when you are frustrated, better to go away and come back later having chilled a bit). :idea:

hope this is of some help?

Mr P

locos currently being run...

Postby Mr P » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:38 pm

This is the latest addition - A Bachman 4-8-2 fitted with a sound decoder, sounds superb !

one of the longer locos needing maximum radus curves

waiting to be sprayed yellow !

another diesel (DCC sound fitted)

and another...

and some more (non- DCC though at the moment)

going down the shed now with a nice bottle of red to 'play trains' :wink:

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Hope it's heated!

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Mr P

Postby Mr P » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:03 am

no, best served at room temperature :lol:

Mr P

Postby Mr P » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:22 am

first attempt at weathering buildings using powders -

seems to capture the 'vacant' image I was looking for. Next step is to add the rubbish and waste paper that would accumulate in the doorways etc.

Mr P

Postby Mr P » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:30 am

started work on the entrance and yard of the packing company..

this is a dry run of layout for the packing company prior to weatering vehicles and populating the yard..

and this is the view from the main gates looking down Brindley Drive..

scott_efc

Postby scott_efc » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:46 am

What powers are these and how do you use them. I have been looking at weathering but i want a really good way of doing not some poor fake looking attempt. Yours looks perfect mate.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:55 am

Ooh, this is looking good already... :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Mr P

Postby Mr P » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 am

I think the powders are acrylic based? I picked them up at a show, 6 small bags for a fiver so I thought I would try them out. Really easy to use but messy. This row of shops was completely unpainted apart from a quick spray of matt varnish to dull the 'plastic' look. The powder was applied with a really soft blusher brush (ask the missus first or you may get a slap! :cry: ), I found a normal brush too hard but just experiment with what is around you.
When I was happy with the result I applied another coat of matt varnish and whilst it was still wet I put some powder on a piece of paper and blew it onto the bottom to create a build up around the doorways etc at ground level. The only paint that i added was some green dry brushing around the water pipe at the back and some watered down acrylic to the door and window frames (these were a cream colour plastic originally) to give that worn paint finish.
Finally I added the graffiti which are microscale transfers.
Good fun and i was quite chuffed with the results, the next time I do it I will take some step-by-step pics and maybe do a small article so others can have a go?

Steve.

Mr P

Postby Mr P » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:31 am

Thanks Tim, how's the garden coming along? Been damn wet and windy down here in Bucks mate, not much fun bein outside!

backofanenvelope

Postby backofanenvelope » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:27 am

steve&matthew wrote:first attempt at weathering buildings using powders

seems to capture the 'vacant' image I was looking for. Next step is to add the rubbish and waste paper that would accumulate in the doorways etc.

Hi steve&matthew

This looks really good. You have captured the atmosphere completely. I would look forward to an article on weathering as I would like to have a go at some of my stock.

Regards
Tom
This is the Night Mail crossing the border,
Bringing the cheque and the postal order..

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:50 am

Great progress there, that restaurant building looks very good weathered and tagged.

Shaun
Currently on the rails with my camera

waz

Postby waz » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:07 am

Hi There you two !!

What excelent work that is and what a great eye you have for the detail which passes most people by.

Best Regards

BILL.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:08 pm

steve&matthew wrote:Thanks Tim, how's the garden coming along? Been damn wet and windy down here in Bucks mate, not much fun bein outside!

LOL, cheers Steve. Actually, i'm having a rest for a while until I can get some more track and wood. I'm sadly on Incap and they ballsed up my benefit just before Xmas (nice touch from my illustrious ex-employer) and I've yet to get it. I could get some more now, but I'd rather wait 'til I know it's sorted out!

The only things I've really done recently are a few services for my filthy old engines and a nifty light conversion for my HST so I've got two lights at the front, two working tail lights on the dummy power car and not a 'Rudolph the yellow nosed choo-choo' effect to be seen (if you've owned an HST, you'll know what I mean about the 'glowing nose effect!)

Naturally, I'll keep you updated mate! Oh BTW, do you have any plans to run older US models, as I love the old 4-4-0s and the later mechanical shovellers like the Big Boy. Just wondered :wink:

Cheers mate. Regards to Mathew :)

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”