Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi, not sure if if I have missed your previous posts on other threads, there are sooo many members on here now!!!

You will be pleased to know that I also am planning a layout in the loft and 11 months on from the conception, I have still not laid a piece of track!! So, you should be proud of what you have achieved in the same time span :lol:

I have painted the roof trusses white, as Mart said the only option other then to put up with them is too have them removed and get the roof supported differently. It can be done, as many loft conversion companies will tell you, but I have no idea how much it costs.

Anyway, it looks fantastic what you have done so far. Keep us posted on the progress.

Trev
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Raider

Postby Raider » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:54 pm

We had a quote for a loft conversion a few years back and it was in over £10,000 - we decided against it

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:21 pm

All i can say is moving my Layout into the loft was the best thing i ever did as it is out of the way and nothing can stop me from building it,apart from my back problem and not having things you've ordered not arriving when you want them to.

And now i can have what i really want from my layout due to the length and i am trying to get a much as i can into the loft but still beable to move about the loft with ease,but i'm hoping that in a few years i will beable to get a 20ftx10ft shed for a new layout in the garden.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

mark_brody

Very minor update - but advice needed...

Postby mark_brody » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Managed to get a few hours in over the weekend, here are a few pictures showing the latest. All being well if you click on the photo you should get to see a larger version of it.

1.Image 2. Image 3.Image 4.Image

The main reason for posting was to ask advice about the best thing to do next. Picture 4 shows the begining of the final baseboard that will complete the loop, with me the fat controller sat in the middle. This needs to be removable or I will be constantly on my knees. It can't really lift upwards as there isn't enough head space so I'm planning on having it simply dropping out from underneath and then just sitting on the floor to one side when not in use.

What have people found the best way to secure baseboards together for quick release and what is the best way of quickly joining and disconecting a number of wires when it is moved?

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:59 am

What have people found the best way to secure baseboards together for quick release and what is the best way of quickly joining and disconecting a number of wires when it is moved?

I cut the scart sockets from a knackered VCR for the last indoor layout about 7-8 years ago. That worked OK but you'll need to be patient and make a very careful note of which pin is what!!!

Cheers mate. It's coming on a treat :wink:

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mark_brody

Festive Update

Postby mark_brody » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:59 pm

Amazingly managed to get a day on the model over Christmas, so here is an update. Suddenly my loft seems very small now the central 'removable' section is in place. Still haven't worked out how to make this removable yet (currently screwed in place). But it will have to drop out from underneath.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

I'm still hoping by the end of January all the major wood work will be done, and I will have track all the way round the layout...

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:04 pm

Great stuff Mark. Did you sort out your wiring dilema re suitable electrical connections?
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mortyfootball

Postby mortyfootball » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:04 pm

Nice work there Mark!

Shaun
Currently on the rails with my camera

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:17 pm

Looking Good

Lofty

westbrom

Postby westbrom » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:35 pm

Looking good Mark.

Neil

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:58 am

Thanks everyone. I'm really pleased with the progress.

I still haven't decided how to solve the power connection problem yet for the middle 'removable' section. All I know is that there is going to be 3 lines and ~4/5 points that will all need power. Plus what ever else I decide to go on there like street lights etc

I'm working tonight doing a firework display, but for some reason my wife thought I was working in London and would be leaving early so she has made plans for the day and has now gone out. The display is in Manchester and I am not leaving until 6pm. Result - I'm off to the loft now to get a few more hours in....

mookie

Postby mookie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:26 pm

Raider: Had a similar position in a house I lived a few years ago. The owner/flatmate had the loft converted into a huge bedroom. Cost them 15,000 but when they had a valuation done a few weeks after they found it had added close to 30,000 in value to the house.

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:16 pm

As Carol Vorderman said in some rubbish TV programme, "Add rooms, add value"...

My roof is too low to do anything with, I've already asked a builder.

Pants

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:52 pm

great having a loft i converted mine for nowt at the time my step dad was building a housing estate. only thing is you have all that space & as i have found with model railways the more space you have the more it costs but i gotta say the layout is looking very good cant wait to see the finished product

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:43 pm

I thought it was about time for an update, even though I haven’t managed to get much done over the last few weeks. But here goes anyway:

Basically, I have now got in place all the ‘behind the scenes track’ on the left hand side of the layout:

This track has been laid as per the track plan (the only bl**dy section that has) and now I just need to fit the point motors to this and test extensively (if you look carefully Percy is already doing this thanks to my little boy) before I put the upper level in permanently (removed for the photo).

The MDF wall is the end of the layout where I have been informed by mission control I cannot pass as it impinges on her storage space. So I have had to fit a section on a hinge that will lift out of the way when not in use.

I’ve still got to do the brave part here and cut the track to make it possible to lift it again. What do people think of this – will it be OK? It is ‘behind the scenes’ so it doesn’t have to neat and tidy. The track on the other side of the loop is heavily PVA’d down at the moment as it is so close to the roof I couldn’t get in with screwdrivers and soldering irons.

Another view of it, the curve is much too tight and its on a ~1/40 gradient so I’m breaking all the rules and will probably live to regret it, but I have had to make it fit into the space I have. The only engine I have and therefore tested is a LIMA class 59 which can do it OK and in reality is the only engine that would use it anyway.

The right hand side has now been raised by 5cm throughout as the gradient at the back of the layout was just too steep from baseboard level to top deck and caused the engine to pull a wheelie at the top Where the track currently ends on the left hand side I am to raise the track further to the top deck. This ½ way level on the right hand side means the gradient is only 1/50 – much better.

Another view – the track on the right drops down to baseboard level and my new behind the scenes track from the ½ way height level and the tracks on the left are going up to the top deck.

And finally I now have track on my bridge over my valley...

I wanted to avoid points on the bridge, but couldn’t so here they are. I read another thread where people had stated real life examples of bridges with points on so I’m happy with that now.

Anyone reading this from start to finish will now notice the ONLY track I haven’t moved/re-laid is the actual quarry goods yard. My only advice here is plan properly, think it through, when your happy with your plans, think it through again!

Anyway, I’m loving it. :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”