Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:51 pm

sanctuary wrote:I love your first picture it's going to make a great model

How've you done that? Or should I say what have you done to that picture? You've made it look like, well, a model!

Can you do that with the rest and then I don't have to build the damn thing?! :lol:

BeaverRail - maybe we should be talking BeaverTunnel :wink:

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:31 pm

I wish I could do it the other way round model to look like real life :lol:

If you have Photoshop then follow the instructions Here to change real life pictures in to models.
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:42 pm

sanctuary wrote:If you have Photoshop

Nope, I'm a peasant and don't have anything so smart as that... :cry:

tonycougar

Postby tonycougar » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:25 am

Only just caught up with this thread.
The death of Percy reminds me of what happened to our Pannier this weekend.(incidently my lad also calls it Percy on account of it was green when he first saw it. Its now black, but he still calls it Percy).
Anyway back to what happened........I sent the said Black Pannier up the branch line and stopped it at the station at the end, but forgot to change the point to isolate it. Later on I also sent a 37 up the same line and I was wondering why it was struggling until there was this clatter bang noise. There were no buffers on the end of the Branch line, and the end is overhanging the loft entrance, so you can guess what the clatter bang noise was!!!
It survived OK, the coaches it was towing needed glue-ing but that was the worst of the damage.
Lesson learnt. There are buffers at the end of the branch line now!!!
If there's a harder way to do it, I'll find it!!
View my layout progress at:-
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=15104

santene

Postby santene » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:14 am

tonycougar wrote:Only just caught up with this thread.
The death of Percy reminds me of what happened to our Pannier this weekend.(incidently my lad also calls it Percy on account of it was green when he first saw it. Its now black, but he still calls it Percy).
Anyway back to what happened........I sent the said Black Pannier up the branch line and stopped it at the station at the end, but forgot to change the point to isolate it. Later on I also sent a 37 up the same line and I was wondering why it was struggling until there was this clatter bang noise. There were no buffers on the end of the Branch line, and the end is overhanging the loft entrance, so you can guess what the clatter bang noise was!!!
It survived OK, the coaches it was towing needed glue-ing but that was the worst of the damage.
Lesson learnt. There are buffers at the end of the branch line now!!!
lol :lol:
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Sounds like a nasty fall, can't find a smiley for ooofff.

Well after the capers of beaver rail et al and my rantings about smelly people in York. I've managed to get some modelling done, so here is an update for you.

The engine shed I picked up for £15 from York (Pikestuff). I think it's pretty similar to the prototype I'm trying to model. Just needs some weathering now - oh and the wire hiding.

Anyway, here you go chaps...

Agghh - He's back the grinning son of b***h!

If you want to see more updates, please see the thread below and help me out:

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=14543

Cheers!

Mark

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:08 pm

By the way, I didn't mean that in a threatening way, I just meant if you want to see my live to a ripe old age and thereby keep you feb with updates please help me out. Not help me out or else...?! :oops: :?

mark_brody

Re: Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Postby mark_brody » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi All,

Well it's been a while, but I'm back with an update. I now have a complete loop all around the garage which includes 3 drop down sections to improve space... Take a look...

30s video of something actually moving on my layout!

1 minute video showing the whole layout

***Don't watch if prone to car/sea sickness***

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Nice one Mark
Slight coupling issue but it hardly notices!!!
Michael

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:51 am

Yes, that was a special delivery to the little people in the tunnel.... ahem!

I now need a bit of advice though. My intention is to run 4 to 5 trains on the track at once. So as a viewer looking at the front a different train passes by every few seconds. Will it be easier to do this with DCC or those devices from Heathcote electronics? I want it to be automated, so once I 'push go' each train goes round one after another without crashing into the back of the one in front. What do people think is the best route?

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi,

Sorry I've been so quiet of late. I thought it was about time I stuck in an update and showed my progress albeit slow...

The river is still ongoing under the viaduct, finally added my waterfall to the wier though. Problem is the garage is a bit cold and the river is taking a long time to dry.

I'm now starting to build my artist impression of this:

By starting with this:

I've cut some groooves in the wood to make it look like the concrete blocks:

And now glued it all in place level:

I wasn't sure if I'd need power up there in the future for lights or for the hopper/filler movement (working from a plan then... ahem) so I've drilled out one of the legs for wires.

Other general progress shots for you:

Thats all for now, I'm hoping I should get some quality time on the layout this winter.

Mark

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:30 pm

Good to see you back! That's a steep road in the second to last shot! I like the look of that conveyor (at least I assume that's what it is).

Danny

Postby Danny » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:35 pm

The photo of the valley and the viaduct looks great, any particular technique to the waterfall? I wouldn't mind a little fall like that on my layout.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:45 am

Nice, now bonfire night is over and a bit of time before the new year, hopefully you can get a bit done.

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:43 pm

It does look steep in that picture I must admit. It doesn't look so bad in the flesh but I'm going to try to 'flatten' it with some tree of different heights. I'm not keen myself, but I'm stuck with it now. Any ideas?

The waterfall is 100% Woodland scenics, I can take no credit other than reading the instructions

Martin, nail on the head. I haven't forgotten you by the way! I did 5 displays this bonfire week and the closest to Leeds was Grimsby! The day I get a job in Leeds you will be the first to know. It has been really busy all year with weddings and stuff, but no jobs in Leeds yet...

Van full of pyro:
That bad boy cost £200 to get us on and off the field:
Ready to go:

Martin, I'm after some flood lights for my quarry basin area like this or similar:

Being an expert in this area what do you recommend? I'll put the question in the scenery section as other people may be interested in this too.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”