Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Very impressive, there's a lovely depth to it. How did you do the rocky outcrops?

How's the river going? I've heard a lot of people that use the Woodland Scenics system and find it 'sinks'.

surf1845

Postby surf1845 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:49 pm

That's really nice. A lovely bit of modelling.
Les

Visit my N gauge layout

What's that burning smell....?

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:21 pm

dr5euss wrote:How did you do the rocky outcrops?

How's the river going?

The rocks were done using the woodland scenic kit (£12.00). I personally think it is brilliant. Just mix the powder, pour it into the mold. Leave it for 45 minutes and pop it out.

I just then stuck mine where I wanted them using some mod-roc as 'glue'. Then when dried dab 1 third of the rock with a yellow dye, dab another 1/3 with a red dye and at this point it then looks ridiculous....

Wash it all over with the black ink wash and as if by magic you get really good looking rocks! I was really happy. I still have loads left too. I think I'm going to add a few more small pieces to fill some gaps before I add the scatter to the rest of the hill.

***One thing I learnt, Mod-roc plaster does not stain the same as the plaster used in the mould to make the rocks. So if you get any on the rock face itself it remains snow white, even if you use neat ink to try to stain it.***

As for the river, the woodland scenics kit isn't as good in my opinion. While the inks provided and talus are good. The water is odd, it dries hard and then does indeed sink. Every time I go to look at it, it seems to have changed shape and depth (maybe the heat in my loft?). To be honest my own effort with varnish and sand is just as good. So I probobally won't buy this again. I'm yet to add cascading water to the wier as I need to complete the lower river bed first, but I have some WS water effect for this....

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:41 pm

I'll think I'll take another look at the rock moulds next time I'm in Hobbycraft, they look great :D

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:05 pm

The rocks and river are going to be fantastic once finished :wink: 8)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Hi mate

Slow you might think...I say steady progress. And well worth it :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:18 am

Oh dear, it's happened...

We have accepted an offer on our house and have bought a new one...

Dismantling starts in earnest. Watch this space for some pictures of the move. Good news is, I get the garage in the new house for the layout :D

mmurnin900

Postby mmurnin900 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:37 am

thats great news mark. I recently got moved to the garage. Good luck
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5

peak

Postby peak » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:13 am

Cant wait to see your progress in the garage.
I hope your move goes quickly and smoothly, these things can send you up the wall at times!!!!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

Metrocamel

Postby Metrocamel » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:32 am

Awesome! Great landscape and the viaduct looks the part!
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5360&p=215267#p215267

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:27 pm

peak wrote:these things can send you up the wall at times!!!!

I'm offically up it. After carefully dismantling the layout and getting it out of the loft. On the week of exhanging contracts my buyer has pulled out!

So I'm now ~£1000 down, my layout is 10 miles away in my father-in-laws garage stacked up and I'm back at square one with the house back on the market. Except for this time I have no layout to play with...

I photographed it all, to make a kinda 'flick picture' video of it disapearing and then re-appearing in my new Garage. Except now I don't have a garage and I'm too mad to make part 1 of the video!

peak

Postby peak » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:21 pm

Working for the ambulance service and having peoples health at the front of my mind all the time I would recommend that you take a CHILL pill. It can only get worse!!!
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.

Regards

Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

bevel_drive

Postby bevel_drive » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:03 am

Just caught up with your layout Mark, really nice modelling mate. 8)
Regards
Steve

My Ponside MPD layout:
http://www.freewebs.com/bevel_drive/

mark_brody

I'm Back!

Postby mark_brody » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi all, I'm pleased to say I'm finally back in the land of the modelling. :D

After putting the house on the market in April 07, 2 fall throughs later :cry: and here we are. :D

I'm pleased to say the layout came out of the loft OK and has now been promoted to the Garage. Downside is, it won't be as big and so I'm going to have to re-design the layout. But the plus side is much easier access, no more crouching and bigger baseboards huragh.

So without further ado, here it is in it's new home...

Look I've even painted the walls!

I dare say progress is going to be initially slow as I've been tasked with a number of DIY projects in the house. But hey, it's good to be back and settled.

I would have posted this message 2 weeks ago, but Broadband has taken a while to be switched on...

So any ideas on what I should do next with the layout are welcome. I still want to go for a Torr Works theme, but the space now means it will have to have some serious artistic license.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”