Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Mon May 21, 2007 8:55 am

Excellent work so far mate, keep it up :)

Paul

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon May 21, 2007 5:19 pm

hi
three road tunnel looks great, any chance of some more photos and a brief description of what you had to do to build it?
cheers
michael

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon May 21, 2007 6:08 pm

That whole section really looks the nuts fella. Excellent work

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon May 21, 2007 7:41 pm

Theres some nice work there hope you dont move would love to see the progress of this layout from start to finish :D :wink:

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Mon May 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Lee wrote:Theres some nice work there hope you dont move would love to see the progress of this layout from start to finish :D :wink:

Don't worry Lee:

As this photo too clearly shows there is a join in the baseboard. So 'in theory' each of these sections will come out and fit through the hatch!?

The joint isn't brilliant, I glued the track down, then added ballast and have then cut right across with a stanley knife and Xuron track cutters. Not brilliant, but the trains still run OK and I think if I cut the track before the ballast is laid next time it will be tidier.

The Giant nail is still to be taken out when the glue has set. The other problem with small baseboards is nothing fits on one board. The retaining wall is seperate from the tunnel wall and is attached to the other board. I need some Ivy to cover the crack...

Here is the tunnel I used (you get 2 in the pack). I used the second as spares to enlarge mine.

Front View:

The 'enlarged section':
Basically I used the other portal in the pack, cut out a few stones and added them to the centre of the arch. The behind the scenes card was simply widened with scrap card. The whole tunnel is 5.5cm wider than the kit.

Behind the scenes:
Soon to be covered by plaster! I had to use the second tunnels inner wall to make 1 inner wall large enough. I then added the left over wall to the far side (which will be seen deepest into the tunnel), just because it was spare.

Plenty of left overs to finish off everything with:

But the highlight for me so far is the river (I just can't photograph it very well). I have used soil, gravel and sand (all from the garden). PVA and varnish and it looks really good. As I mentioned earlier I've bought Woodland Scenics for the front section, but I'm really pleased with it.

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Mon May 21, 2007 8:39 pm

River looks good from here :wink:

Paul

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon May 21, 2007 10:19 pm

cheers mark
i have 3 lines that i want to have a road going over, not sure if the metcalf tunnel is too, well tunnely but certainly one of the best options i've seen so far. i would need 2 packs so i could make the other side aswell but it could work well thinking about it.
thanks again
michael

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon May 21, 2007 10:27 pm

Could you scan the tunnels before making them and then print out the scanned bits to fill the gap? Not sure if you would get a good colour match, but might be worth a try.

Either that or do they do a brick paper that could be used?

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Mon May 21, 2007 10:28 pm

mumbles wrote:cheers mark
i have 3 lines that i want to have a road going over, not sure if the metcalf tunnel is too, well tunnely but certainly one of the best options i've seen so far. i would need 2 packs so i could make the other side aswell but it could work well thinking about it.
thanks again
michael

I think you would be able to do this with 1 kit, you get quite a bit spare with it for retaining walls etc. So I reckon other than the inside wall you would be OK.

FYI: I tried scanning and re-printing but couldn't get it right. My printer isn't the best, but you get enough 'scraps' in the kit to do quite a lot of mods. But as mentioned you can also buy packs of the same printed card (I used this on the viaduct).

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon May 21, 2007 10:40 pm

Wasn't sure the scanning / printing would work - thanks for confirming that.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon May 21, 2007 10:47 pm

cheers, good to know before i buy 2!
think i'll give it a go

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Tue May 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Raider wrote:Wasn't sure the scanning / printing would work - thanks for confirming that.

It might do if you have a decent printer, I have an Epson from PC world, good for most things but nowhere near the quality of the original from Metcalfe.

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Thu May 31, 2007 3:16 pm

Haven't done much of late (work, stag nights and making the mistake of starting the wine before I get in the loft).

Grassed the banks and added the woodland scenics water:

I now have arch like reflections in the water... The water stuff is wierd, it dried hard and level with the topofmy wier and now the level has dropped by about 1mm in the last day or so???. Plus a couple of bubbles have suddenly appeared. But I've got some of that other woodland scenics water effect stuff to make ripples, so I'll give that a crack to hide the bubbles.

I have also brought the valley forward to the front. I'm incorporating a path for the little people to walk down (drawn in pen) so they can go for a paddle. That is if the rest of my water doesn't disapear!

I've also put a bit of support on the tunnel ready for the mod-roc. But the small baseboard size (so they can fit through my hatch) is now causing scenic continuity problems and I need to think about it before I jump in with both feet again!

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Thu May 31, 2007 4:32 pm

That looks tremendous Mark. Even half-finished it looks like a quality bit of work :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Latest progress, not got too much done due to immense heat in the loft and work commitments. I have recently resorted to 'naked modelling' - not a pritty sight!

I have used the woodland scenics rock kit to make all this. I still have loads left too. Very impressed with the results to say how easy it was to do.

Just need to tie it all in with some scatter now.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”