Torr Works - Biting off more than I can chew!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:03 pm

coming along well Mark

Lofty

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Cheers lofty,

Looking at it now, it is nothing like the original track plan I posted - so I'll re-do it at some point and post the updated final plan.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:06 pm

I am an expert at changing things :oops:

Lofty

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:07 pm

Great progress Mark. It's starting to take shape well! As for the flap, just make sure the rails aren't fouled when it rises. I just used a rotary tool with a cutting disc and soldered the ends to the board using locatory screws.

Cheers mate

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:02 am

Nice work there, this is really starting to come together now, looking like an excellent layout, keep it up!

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

mark_brody

Update 26th March 2007

Postby mark_brody » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi, I think it’s about time for an update, I’m sorry to say progress has been slow since the last one as I’ve been away with work more than I have been at home. Anyway here goes....

I now have all the main sections of track laid (except for 1 double slip which I still need to buy). I’ve tested the track out quite a bit now and it all seems to be OK, the new lower gradients spread around the board means the trains can cope quite easily with the ups and downs.. As the track plan seems to have been changing like the tide recently I thought I would post the final plan here to give you a better idea of what is what.

The blue line simply denotes track that is on the baseboard, any black track is elevated in some way.

<><><><><><>

This is to be a station area in the future. This whole section is still going to be ‘removable’. This is the bottom section of track on the plan.

<><><><><><><>

This is the left hand side of the layout, now with track on the top deck.

<><><><><><><>

So now, finally I have got onto doing what I have been looking forward to – some scenic stuff. I’ve now started on the valley area by building a viaduct that will then allow me to fit the valley sides in around it and this will give me a nice starting place for the rest of the scenery to come from.

But as usual, I haven’t thought about what I am doing. My track bed on the bridge is too wide for any shop bought viaduct to be suitable. So I have bought a Metcalfe Viaduct kit and a pack of card printed in the same brick as the viaduct and am now in the process of cannibalising the viaduct to make it fit.... So far so good actually. The guy in the local model shop gave me a good tip – when you cut the card and get a grey surface on the edge, just run a black marker pen down it. When I did this I thought it was a bit strong and would stand out more than the card itself. But when you actually put it all together it really does work and you loose all the joins. You guys probably already do this anyway.... but I thought is was a neat little tip.

I also forgot to mention in order to get to this stage I have also started wiring the track and fitting point motors as I go. What a faff to fit! I hate them already and I have only fitted 3. But already I can tell I need a CDU as 2 of the motors I have fitted need to switch at the same time and they only intermittently do it when switched together (on their own their fine). I’m using Seep motors with the built in switch that in the future I will use for signals and indication on the control board.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:41 pm

Welcome back Mark :wink:

Glad to see I'm not the only one that's been busy, lol.

Know what you mean about the ruddy point motors. Pain the posterior indeed! Nonetheless, the layout is coming along apace and I look forward to seeing much more

Cheers fella

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

peak

Postby peak » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:52 pm

Good progress.
Considering you say you haven't done much, I'd like to see the results if you put some serious effort in to it!
I should be working on my layout more than I do?
2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:20 pm

hi mark
looking good mate. i'm yet to get round to wiring up my seep point motors, glad to know its nice and easy :?
there is a circuit diagram in this thread if you needed any pointers in that direction, i did! ironduke came up with this for me :D it is for the same seep point motors with switch that then controls route indicator leds on control panel. forgive me if your on the ball on that front.
look forward to how your viaduct comes along
michael

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:50 pm

mumbles wrote:hi mark
glad to know its nice and easy :?

The electrics are easy, its getting the little wire rod through the baseboard and into the point hole! Then holding it in place while you secure it!!!

It's so tricky, even harder when you try to use superglue to hold it in place and glue your finger to the point motor too. I'm laughing now, but at the time..... :twisted: :evil:

mark_brody

DISASTER!!!

Postby mark_brody » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:32 pm

Oh No....! :shock:

It has been decided that we are moving house! :!: :!: :!:

Agents have already been round to value it, thanks to my ultra efficient other half. This spells chaos and possibly the end for the loft layout.

While I designed each board to fit through the hatch, non of the track is ballasted and therefore fixed in place for cutting yet?.... Looks like I have a lot of work ahead just to get it out.

Please, please any tips for rapidly setting track in position and cutting it etc would be gratefully accepted. I've only just built my custom viaduct too, I guess that will now have to go in a box for the move.

I can only hope the house takes a while to sell and the new one has a huuuge outbuilding! (this will be my main priority when viewing other houses).

If time allows I will photograph the whole event of moving and in about 6 months or so post it on here from start to finish.

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:51 pm

Mark,
A short-shanked large roundhead wood screw at each end of each length of track, with a head large enough to secure adjacent sleepers ? Then cut the track where the boards join. After removing the screws at destination, the ballast will cover the holes when you do it.
(No credit for this - this is the PPFM -The "Pete" patent fastening method).

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:09 pm

I think the word Bu**er (gg) comes to mind

Hope you get sorted

Lofty

mark_brody

Postby mark_brody » Fri May 11, 2007 10:18 am

I’ve got a bit sick of waiting for the house to sell and being in limbo with the train set. I decided against taking the whole thing apart and removing it from the loft now, just in case we don’t sell. So I’m going to crack on with the train set and then basically remove any track from areas I haven’t had chance to get it down properly when we do sell. Plus I don’t know what space I will have at the new house either.... I may have more, and so I could extend the layout!!!

So cracking on, to make the viaduct , these are the Metclafe kits I have used:

My track bed is wide enough for 3 tracks and so I have had to widen the standard kit somewhat to make it fit. Using the extra pack of card to do this seems to have worked well.

It’s going to look something like this:

(it is straight - honest, just a bad photo)

But I have realised once in place, modelling the river running through and scenery behind is going to be hard if not impossible, so I have made a base to site the bridge on. So I can do the scenics and then slide it under the bridge which will already be in place by then.

(the far left pear is going to be cut down to make it look like it is in an embankment)

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Fri May 11, 2007 10:37 am

It was looking great too was this layout bummer that your moving i know that feeling my missus has us doing the same thats why i kept to a portable size well wish you the best of luck with the move its hard work & a major headache i know how you feel lets just hope the next house is bigger = BIGGER LAYOUT!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”