Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Lumsdonia

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:28 pm

Montfort wrote:Thanks for these two videos.

How are you Montfort?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:45 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Not sure if I should start a separate thread for this, but I guess as it is a module for my layout, it should stay in here.

So, first of all, you need to understand my love of bridges, second the layout was always designed to be two levels to allow for as many bridge/tunnels as possible. Having seen many exhibition and Youtube examples of a layout section that is much lower than the main surface, I decided I should have one. It will be incorporated in the final design later (I will MAKE it fit! :o ) but at present. will be standalone.
It will consist of a sandstone cliff on the left, with a canal by its side at minus 300mm level, a road running parallel to it and a river slightly lower defining the bottom of the valley, with the opposite side of the valley being a gentle slope. Over these will be a road stone arched bridge (completely scratch built) at a minus 200mm level, emanating from a tunnel in the cliff, then winding up the slope back up to board level (0mm) on the right.
A modified bow steel bridge (half kit half scratch) will cross at board level from the cliff edge to midway and a further two sets of lower arch steel bridges will span the other half to meet the right board. A completely bespoke scratch build 'Cable-stayed' bridge will span the two boards with a small overlap at each end, at a 100mm level and will be 1,200mm long! (yes, 4 feet long!)

This may take some time :lol:

I used to have plans to make a baseboard going down to the floor level. Maybe a little extreme but an interesting concept.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:46 am

One of the visiting French or Swiss layouts at the NEC had an interesting profile for a "crossing the gorge" scene. It was a slice taken out of a GRP bath-tub with plywood stiffeners fitted in. It solved the problem of building downwards!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 am

TimberSurf wrote:Not sure if I should start a separate thread for this, but I guess as it is a module for my layout, it should stay in here.

So, first of all, you need to understand my love of bridges, second the layout was always designed to be two levels to allow for as many bridge/tunnels as possible. Having seen many exhibition and Youtube examples of a layout section that is much lower than the main surface, I decided I should have one. It will be incorporated in the final design later (I will MAKE it fit! :o ) but at present. will be standalone.
It will consist of a sandstone cliff on the left, with a canal by its side at minus 300mm level, a road running parallel to it and a river slightly lower defining the bottom of the valley, with the opposite side of the valley being a gentle slope. Over these will be a road stone arched bridge (completely scratch built) at a minus 200mm level, emanating from a tunnel in the cliff, then winding up the slope back up to board level (0mm) on the right.
A modified bow steel bridge (half kit half scratch) will cross at board level from the cliff edge to midway and a further two sets of lower arch steel bridges will span the other half to meet the right board. A completely bespoke scratch build 'Cable-stayed' bridge will span the two boards with a small overlap at each end, at a 100mm level and will be 1,200mm long! (yes, 4 feet long!)

This may take some time :lol:

Het Timbersurf - I think that you should change your forum name to something more appropriate, for example "William Arroll" :D

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Just call me Timbersurf the bridge (as I am in Wales! :P). You aint seen notin yet! I have have two full boxes full of bridges I have collected over the years! Having waded through them, I picked out five to use for the mid level bridge, still many many more to be distributed across the layout.
The stone bridge is an investigation of using clay! The cable stay is because you just never see them modelled, probably because it will be huge! :lol:

So first the general dimensions were needed to be able to select/size the various bridges, although I have a good idea in my mind (being a designer for a living) it meant I needed to prove the concept by doing a 3D model in CAD. It's a bit basic, but it shows the overall look and confirms dimensions.
Three Bridge valleyV4.1b.jpg
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:55 pm

After some disappointing attempts to use my gun silicon method to make intricate castings, I decided to bite the bullet and buy some two part silicon RTV. The results are fantastic and I will use it for the bridge bearings as an example, but past results showed that my gun silicon method is still valid for basic shapes and flats, so I have had go at casting some herculite pillar piers, for the stone bridge.
I think the results speak for themselves.

The hard former that supports the silicon mould and keeps it the right shape
Bridge piers Box.jpg

The silicon boot that you cast into
Bridge piers Silicon.jpg

To reduce the plaster content and make it hollow, I tried two methods, one with an insert of polystyrene (that remained stuck inside), then rotated the mould while the plaster hardened so it had a uniform coating, they both work, but sitting there for 20 minutes solid, spinning the assembly, waiting for the plaster to set, is not a method I will choose again :cry: .
Bridge piers 2.jpg

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:33 pm

The central pillars for the bowstring truss bridge will be of a different construction, but the end piers are to be of stone. The bowstring bridge needs a short end support pier (at the cliff edge), but the opposing end of the apex (arched bottom chord) steel bridges needs to be deep to accommodate the lower structure. In both cases they need to be double wide, not something available off the shelf.
So I made a RTV silicon mould of a single, cast it three times and chopped it up into three parts and joined them back together. For the taller one, I also had to slice the front off and join on much lower and fill in the front above it, see pic.
Now painted, they still need some weathering, but are essentially ready to be integrated into the scenery when the frame is built.
I want to effectively build all three bridges then build the frame to exactly suit the finished dimensions, so lots more construction to crack on the bridges before I get to layout board construction.

Bridge End Pier construction.jpg

Bridge End Pier Short.jpg

Bridge End PierTall.jpg

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:48 am

Is interesting how you are making it.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:09 pm

Excellent work Timbersurf, stonework is looking really good already.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:18 pm

The stone bridge will be straight after the road exits from the cliff face, so a very flat stone tunnel portal is needed. I could not find anything that took my fancy, so decided to make my own!
I made a flat sheet silicon mould with my gun silicon method, and added a lip (edge) with a couple of beads in the shape of the portal.
Portal Arch 2.jpg

Using DAS clay, I made the arch of the edge stones. Cutting a rebate in the cast to accept it then added the two vertical side elements.
Portal Arch 3.jpg

Portal Arch 5.jpg

After some fettling, I added the right angle to the back of the edge stones.
Portal Arch 6.jpg

Chopped some chunks of the top corners and capped them
Portal Arch 7.jpg

Sudden thought, it needs a date!

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:16 pm

This is some really amazing stuff, I look forward to seeing that plan come to life.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:24 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Sudden thought, it needs a date!

Here are a few for you to choose from

eat-me-dates.jpg
eat-me-dates.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 613 times
:D

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi Timber
To add a date to your Tunnel Portal the railway company who built the line would possibly be looking for the cheapest way to do so. This would quite simply be V cut letters in the existing stone work. More expensive methods would involve cutting a hole in the face and fixing in a new block. This could have V cut letters or raised letters this would be expensive you could also have moulded edges around this. Gilded as well we are talking mega bucks now.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Lucky, are you offering me a date? :o

:lol:

Dublo wrote:Hi Timber
To add a date to your Tunnel Portal the railway company who built the line would possibly be looking for the cheapest way to do so. This would quite simply be V cut letters in the existing stone work. More expensive methods would involve cutting a hole in the face and fixing in a new block. This could have V cut letters or raised letters this would be expensive you could also have moulded edges around this. Gilded as well we are talking mega bucks now.

Dublo, this is the portal to a road tunnel into the cliff, not a railway Co. property!
What's the likelihood that the county council would have put the date on? I am thinking around late 1800's.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi Timber
Why not add a date? If a local authority constructed the tunnel with civic pride I'm sure they would date it they may also have a low level plaque with the infamous phrase "this stone was laid by ......" . They could equally have tried to build it in the cheapest possible way and left it plain.
Whichever way the choice is yours, personally I think a bit of civic pride is no bad thing.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”