Lumsdonia

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: Lumsdonia

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 am

Mountain gets the prize for mentioning the country! It's 56116 1'E (2-10-0) 1948 Beyer Peacock.
The previous pic, as manna got, is a 1941 North British 1'D (2-8-0) 24670 LMS Stanier 8F
Ok, I will put you out of your misery, there are over 30 steam engines at Çamlık Railway Museum, near Kusadasi in Turkey. It is the largest railway museum in Turkey and contains one of the largest steam locomotive collections in Europe. I will make a thread showing all the photos and upload to youtube and flickr soon.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:34 pm

In case you cant find it, I tried a search and couldn't (you need the Ç to find it!) so here is the thread Çamlık Railway Museum

TimberSurf

Re: Lumsdonia Wagon stock

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:33 am

It seems my collection of 1200 (known) wagons always causes raised eyebrows, I have 49 (catalogued) guards vans. As mentioned in Petersdale thread
So I will take the opportunity to explain the philosophy.

I might have too many! I went mad on ebay about 15 years ago and bought many cheap lots, some of which included wagons I don't need. I will probably only need half of guards vans that I have and around 1/3 are not my period/B.R anyway, so will eventually get sold. The same can be said of all other rolling stock, I bought cheap rakes and got stuff I don't want included. I considered it an investment, as I paid little, they will only hold or increase in second hand value, so I can sell off the surplus stock and buy any shortfalls I have in the particular rakes I am collecting (one type only of a truck per rake, generally). At some point in the future (when layout is built), I will have a mass sell off and fund the purchase of any holes in the rakes I want to run (a mix of 8 coach rakes and 30 wagon goods rakes), dependant on the final layout design, there will be between 20 and 40 fixed formations held in the automated sidings (current design is for 24 sidings with 2-4 out on the layout). So with say 8 rakes of coaches (64) and 12 rakes of goods (360) plus a few specials (breakdown train, royal train, night mail, DMU, etc and a few spare rakes to ring the changes with the ones on the layout, the desired catalogue is vast!

End2end

Re: Lumsdonia Wagon stock

Postby End2end » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:55 pm

TimberSurf wrote:current design is for 24 sidings

HOLY MOLY :o
Stop making us jealous! :lol: We'll have to start calling you Timbersurf MRC :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:50 pm

Don't get too jealous, I doubt a single one, is less than 30 years old! :oops:
I doubt you will envy the cost I will incur to upgrade every one to metal wheels! :o
Or the time it will take to weather every one! :cry:

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Only that many ? Timbersurf ........
O.K I'll admit to not yet cracking the 500, but to my credit most are post
2008 production, with I think, in excess of 100 kit built. I think only 15 or 16
brake vans.
Yes, weathering certainly becomes a seemingly unending task ....But they do
look so much better.
What about up-dating and harmonizing couplings ? I saw off the large couplings
from my few older wagons and replace with Parkside mounting blocks with
Bachmann narrow tension lock couplings all set to within 0.5 mm. Now my 3
Lima horse and groom wagons behave as good as any of my latest Bachmann
stock.

Do I have a wagon for every occasion 'Nope' and I don't suppose you have either !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Dad-1 wrote:What about up-dating and harmonizing couplings ?
Geoff T.

Apart from my only new acquisitions in the last 10 years of engines (some TTS sound loco's), all my stock is the old Hornby wide couplings. I personally don't have a problem with them and as I intend to run mainly fixed rakes, uncouplings will be few and far between. Of course I have seen with interest all the threads mentioning converting to more modern on her and I would agree they do look better and are therefore desirable. The problem is, I have to buy a new house to suite my layout, build a very large railway, fit lights to 64 carriages, fit metal wheels and weather over 500 wagons, strip service, upgrade and DCC over 50 loco's, by which time I will be dead, bed ridden, or just plain fed up with modelling, as about 20 years will have passed by! :lol: And inbetween all that lot, I have to fit in designing/making my animatronics and oh yes, play trains!
When all the above is complete, ask me again!
So I am harmonized, I just need to find a thread how to change my 5 NEM pocketed loco's to big D type couplings! :lol:

Dad-1 wrote:Do I have a wagon for every occasion 'Nope' and I don't suppose you have either !!
Geoff T.

Test me, we will see! :P

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Actually, I lie!

Just checked my wonderful database and here are the rough figures for the spread of coupling types!
Metal Wide 410
Plastic Wide 485
Plastic Mid 229
Plastic Narrow 39
Surprisingly 250+ are NOT the wide type, but who knows if they will be the ones I keep!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 pm

With 2018 competition now closed, it's on to the next challenge.
I succumbed to ebay a while back and bought two office tower blocks. I am a bit disappointed as they were sold as OO, but in reality are barely n scale let alone even HO! But I paid little and expected little, with the base idea of using them as scratch build parts or a kit bash. Not sure they will do for either, so I will build as is and bury them into the back landscape as a distant scene obscured by trees or hills. In keeping with my 'light everything' philosophy, they need lots of lights, at least one per floor, this means 16 circuits! Not wanting to use up my 80 outputs on my computer controlled lighting system, I will just use one channel and add a program in between, in the form of a cyclic arduino.
In essence if the circuit is switched on (the one channel from the master lights control is fired up), the arduino will slowly bring each floor of lights on in a random order, simulating the office opening up with employee's turning on lights as they enter each floor. (send master signal at 8am)
The lights will stay on on all floors (simulating the 9-5 day) while the input is on.
Once the input is turned off (simulating the office closing at 5pm, end the master signal at 5:30pm) and slowly the floors will each turn off in a random manner, as each floor is cleared of workers.
Obviously the Arduino will be powered up all the time.
Having set the scope, it has taken a few hours of brain scratching, but I managed to get a program working today, in my PC simulator, for eight lighting circuits.
Next I need to build the buildings and fit the lights!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:06 pm

One could argue they were in 00 for distance modelling, or for housing tiny people?

A funny thing happened to a member of train crew I worked with. He wanted speakers for his car and he saw four speakers all in a box, which would be ideal for his parcel shelf. No one else bid and he had them for next to nothing. When they came, they were huge. A single speaker wouldn't fit in his car as they had been taken out of a cinema or somewhere like that. He paid much less then the seller paid for the postage costs.

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Mountain wrote:One could argue they were in 00 for distance modelling, or for housing tiny people?

A funny thing happened to a member of train crew I worked with. He wanted speakers for his car and he saw four speakers all in a box, which would be ideal for his parcel shelf. No one else bid and he had them for next to nothing. When they came, they were huge. A single speaker wouldn't fit in his car as they had been taken out of a cinema or somewhere like that. He paid much less then the seller paid for the postage costs.

When taking photos for such things, one should always use a banana for scale.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:18 pm

For many a lemon may be more suitable ?......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:40 pm

OK. But does one use a left or a right handed banana?

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:07 pm

I think the Outland tower seller should use a lemon, my OO man stands a foot taller than the ceiling! :o
I bought and am making two towers.
I have cut all the missing floors (x10) and soldered micro wire to 2x3mm (x16) SMD leds and attached them to each ceiling.
A 10 wire harness has been made, terminated in my standard 10 way IDC ribbon connector (I will be using these for the Computer control lighting distribution as well as a common component throughout the layouts lighting) to connect the eight lights (floors) in each model to the base.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:50 pm

The twin towers are taking forever, talk about slow progress!
I have stuck two sides together with the original 3 supplied floors and have cut new ones to fit in between. Before glueing in, one at a time, I have soldered tails to SMD LED's and glued them on the ceiling. As this is not my first LED rodeo, I repeatedly test the LED's as I go. I don't know what it is about one batch (of 100) that I bought, but just the process of soldering them seems to make them fail. Even the ones that were not rejected after soldering and made it (working) into the building, have now failed! I have had to replace 40% so far. The next hurdle (ne nightmare) will be to paint the gazillion windows and glaze each set on each floor. I think my idea of pre painting the building grey is flawed, as painting the windows individually is horrendously laborious. I think I should have spray painted the windows, then mask and paint the walls after! But it's a tough call now they are part built. :roll:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”